Something I'm wondering

Phat Kid

I was just wondering what is the general rule of thumb when it comes to numbers not matching word marks and what your guys feelings are on it? Examples: Patriots, Jazz etc. Let me know.

My personal opinion is that with baseball and basketball jerseys, if you have a really nice wordmark, the numbers should not match so that the wordmark stands out more. Take the Dodgers for example. Simple block numbers. If the numbers were fancier like the wordmark, it wouldn't look as good. Same with basketball. That's not to say only block works, but I don't think that you want too much attention drawn to your front numbers. On the back, have at it.

For football, IMO it really doesn't matter. As long as the numbers look nice on the jersey. For a lot of teams (NE, PHI come to mind) it wouldn't really be feasible to do the numbers in the same font as the wordmark.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'd say most hockey teams have no wordmark to speak of, and if they do, it's very much secondary to the crest, like the Red Wings, who barely use that fancy little-balls-at-the-end-of-letters script, so they basically have free reign as long the letters and numbers are similar. I'd say making the wordmark match the names and numbers would usually look bad in hockey: Detroit's script wouldn't work well, and the Maple Leafs looked much better with block letters and numbers than the Maple Leafs font. It looks...playful, I want to say?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Jazz graphic identity is really a mess right now. I can't explain anything they do other than just saying "Microsoft Paint."

:D

Food for thought: you could construct a sound argument that there is nary a shred of originality in the Utah Jazz graphics since their inception.

-They carried over the New Orleans Jazz logo and just stuck "Utah" on it where "New Orleans" used to be.

-After the Denver Nuggets went from thelate lamented rainbow skyline to a very much Rocky Mountain-based identity in 1993, the Utah Jazz followed suit with a similar Rocky Mountain scheme in 1996.

-Long after black alternates became the norm, the Jazz added one too.

-In 2001 (I think?) the Dallas Mavericks set the big trend of two-tone blue. In 2003, the Denver Nuggets took their old Rocky Mountain logo and recolored it in light blue with some yellow. In 2004, the Utah Jazz took their Rocky Mountain logo and recolored it as the Nuggets did, using the same colors the Mavericks did.

So if I am designing a hockey jersey the font I use for the numbers does not really matter then huh?

Just don't use Times New Roman. Red Wings tried and failed.

Archived