ESPN2 dropping hockey?

slapshot

"There's still a few around...and a few more starting up.

"MSG's still there, broadcasting the cruddy Knicks and (when they're playing) the cruddier Rangers and the Mets every once in a blue moon too...I know Sunshine is still in business down in FL, and there's Turner South down in ATL.

"Unfortunately, from what some friends of mine with the dish told me, it seems that Empire folded up shop as well....kinda sad seeing they always had Amerks games on there when the Sabes were off.

"I know the Avs & Nuggs were to launch a new network soon (dunno if they did or not...I think it's supposed to be called Altitude) and the Bobcats have their own channel as well (don't remember the name of it, all I know is that the Canes were gonna be on there too)...and in 2006, the Mets are launching their own channel (just to get out from under the thumb of the Dolan Empire...which is a VERY good thing, IMO)...

"To be honest, I think there's a new player emerging in the cable sports channel market to challenge FOX and ESPN...that would be Comcast.  They already have the Philly & DC markets and just added Chicago as well."

Well, I do not know what's going on with Empire Sports, but Comcast started another channel in Sacramento with the Kings, Sports South is now run by Fox Sports Net , and Sunshine is now called Sun Sports, and owned by Fox.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Comcast is also in the Boston area. They have the NCAA and minor league sports on here and there, but not enough of a consistent schedule to be a major player yet. I wish they increased their AHL broadcasts.

Back when our cable company was MediaOne, they would show a New England AHL game every week. Most often they were from Lowell, but once in a while you'd see Providence, Manchester, Hartford or Springfield (never Worcester at home). They kept the shows when they switched to AT&T, and even showed the Lowell Spinners Friday night home games.

Now that it's CN8, the region has expanded, and we're just as likely to see a AA baseball game from Pennsylvania or NCAA football from Delaware as we would from Massachusetts.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

mod edit: deleted as irrelevant

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Without ESPN or a national network deal, hockey becomes... A regional sport.

That is what is needed.

The NHL has to steer away from being a National (read: American) league and go regional. For now anyways. Build up it's fanbases in their key markets, then try to flood into the national market again, but this time, do it right.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Unfortunately, from what some friends of mine with the dish told me, it seems that Empire folded up shop as well....kinda sad seeing they always had Amerks games on there when the Sabes were off.

EMPIRE became a pay channel on Adelphi and Time Warner before the Sabres started play last season. I forget how much but it was more than i wished to pay.

It really sucked for us out of town Sabre fans. They also offered a good Syracuse Athletics show and a daytime talk radio show on which I had my emails published regularly.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

That is what is needed.

The NHL has to steer away from being a National (read: American) league and go regional. For now anyways. Build up it's fanbases in their key markets, then try to flood into the national market again, but this time, do it right.

They already tried that. They did it that way for 80 years.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

That is what is needed.

Yeah, but in doing that they went too far, too fast.

Instead of expanding to L.A., they should've expanded to Denver first. Let Denver build up rivalries, loyal fanbases, and get hockey hopping everywhere in between Denver and their rivals. Then look slightly further South.

Expand the "regional" market until one day you realize the "region" you inhabit is national.

Instead, the NHL went fast and far, and in the end was using expansion fees as quick money fixes.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Here's an idea:

Promote the living hell out of the game when it comes back!

Why hasn't this struck anyone?

Ingrain hockey into the stereotypical American psyche with a hat trick of commercial kinds: witty ads for the intelligentsia, guys beating the snot out of each other for the people who like violence in ads, and finally edge-of-your-seat goals and saves for the armchair adrenaline junkie.

Bing. Bang. Bong. People back in the seats of the arenas.

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

This is bad. With no hockey airing this season, ESPN has stooped to the low of broadcasting High School Basketball. WTF?

I could be wrong but I think LeBron James has given them a damn good reason to look to some h.s. teams.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

That is what is needed.

Yeah, but in doing that they went too far, too fast.

Instead of expanding to L.A., they should've expanded to Denver first. Let Denver build up rivalries, loyal fanbases, and get hockey hopping everywhere in between Denver and their rivals. Then look slightly further South.

Expand the "regional" market until one day you realize the "region" you inhabit is national.

Instead, the NHL went fast and far, and in the end was using expansion fees as quick money fixes.

What they need to do is invest the money to get youth leagues started everywhere. That is where expansion can come from. How many mid 30 year olds become die hard fans?

They need to expand the base, not the league. Advertising will mean nothing if people don't have a connection to the game. Connections are formed when young. NBA, NFL, MLB, and NASCAR aren't big because of advertising. They are big because people grew up playing football, baseball, and basketball. And who when they were 15 or 16 and first got behind a steering wheel didn't pretend to be a race car driver?

semperfi.gif

I know the Avs & Nuggs were to launch a new network soon (dunno if they did or not...I think it's supposed to be called Altitude)

you're right it is Altitude and its been on the air for a while,and it's available on both Directv and Dish net ;)

ESPN has wnated to do this for years so they coudl shovce more NBA and Tilt down our throats, if teh NHL is off ESPN and ends up on lets say Spike TV ESPN will be the loser not the NHL.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

That is what is needed.

Yes... and there was 80 years of hockey.

Last i recall, there was no hockey this year......

sB9ijEj.png

That is what is needed.

My point is they've alraedy done what you said. Instead of going backwards, they need to make what they have work.

That or they should just remain regional. Give up any idea of expansion. Just accept their second tier sports status in the staes, and be happy.

semperfi.gif

I agree they need to accpet that fact they are second teir there at the top of the second teir but if they do realize taht everything wil be smoother.

I just hope we do have soem national coverage and the playoffs on TV. Other then that I only watch Devils and Rangers games any way.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

That is what is needed.

My point is they've alraedy done what you said. Instead of going backwards, they need to make what they have work.

That or they should just remain regional. Give up any idea of expansion. Just accept their second tier sports status in the staes, and be happy.

They will have to accept second-tier sports status. They are considered a second-tier sport NOW. In the late 80's-early 90's the NHL was breaking into the mainstream and was considered for the first time as a "Major Sport". There were the 4 leagues: NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL.

Then came Gary Bettman.

The league over-expanded, the product suffered. The worst folly was the 94-95 lockout. The NBA was in a lockout that year as well, and Baseball was on strike, with no World Series. There would be nothing to cover other than the NHL, and the NFL every Sunday, if they had played. They didn't. There was that one moment of opportunity to leapfrog the NBA, and challenge for a permanent spot on America's sports map. They missed it, and the opportunity never came again.

Since 1995, the NHL has slowly slid out of the American sports psyche. The NHL had become a regional sport again, but conducted itself as a national sport. It was doomed to financial failure.

The NHL must now start again, and market itself in it's strong regions. Once capable and financially steady, it can try and slowly, and carefully try to emerge in the National american market, but that will not happen for a long, long time.

sB9ijEj.png

Here's an idea:

Promote the living hell out of the game when it comes back!

Why hasn't this struck anyone?

Ingrain hockey into the stereotypical American psyche with a hat trick of commercial kinds: witty ads for the intelligentsia, guys beating the snot out of each other for the people who like violence in ads, and finally edge-of-your-seat goals and saves for the armchair adrenaline junkie.

Bing. Bang. Bong. People back in the seats of the arenas.

I agree, but that doesn't work when the head of your league also works for your rival league.

They when they come back have to have an agressive game and promote the sport not the game. Run ads at all times (not just during nhl games) that show how hockey is better than basketball. Look at other stuff that has become popular, like Ashley Simpson, no talent but is promoted and thus became popular If you can sell that to America then hockey an entertaining sport should be easy to sell. I agree sell the hitting and the defense, adapt you marketing to the way the game is being played, not change the game to the way you want to market because the latter doesn't work. Look at the NFL as a model, it's a game built of PR, and that's no surprise because Pete Rozelle had a background in public relations. That's the type of person who should be the commissioner and the face of the league.

Caolina Joe does have a point however, sports become popular in a persons youth by playing. This is where hockey is a problem because there is limited amount of ice available and it's an expensive sport. Many parents are unwilling to take their kid to a 5 am hockey practice. The problem is worse in the south because ponds and Lakes don't freeze. Hockey overcomes the above metion problems because in areas where lakes freeze people play pond hockey. This doesn't happen in the south.

It's will be an uphill battle but if management changes and it goes in more of a pr direction I think it can overcome.

And yes I know I'm a horrible speller.

Archived