What does NHL need to do to get the fans back?

stimpy

OK I've spent the last two days reading a lot and thinking about what my true opinion is. Still am not close to anything definintive on a lot of things but I know one thing. If they have a good CBA, start playing games, and lower ticket prices the fans will come back. The NHL Has history. The Stanley Cup has history. The owners and players have to realize just how small their fan base is and be willing to come to a CBA that's realistic. That mixed with great marketing will lead to success. The MLS and NLL know their place. Their fan bases are tiny so they don't pay their players millions of dollars. These hockey players must be willing to play for hundred of thousands instead of for millions. The owners also must realize that paying players multi-million dollar contracts will bring the league down just as $125 tickets will. There is a reasonable middle ground. No need for rule changes. No need for realignement. Just realize what reality is, come to a good CBA and learn how to market the sport to non-hockey fans who are willing to learn. Look at NASCAR. I always thought it was for rednecks but I've been hooked today on the Daytona 500. Why? They have found ways of getting my interest. Maybe I'm just ready to accept the sport. Either way the NHL will not survive unless the players and owners get their heads out of the ice.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Well after todays fiasco it cant be denied any more it needs new leadership at the top, Goodenow and Bettman both must go so must Daily bring in true blue hockey people to bring the sport.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

My idea? If they had settled, I would have scuttled the whole regular season, and have the whole league in a playoff tourney.

Based on last year's standings, the number one seeds in each conference would have gotten a bye into the second round and face the lowest seed advancing. Everone else would have been seeded from 2 to 15, and all series would be best of seven.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

That punishes the teams who didn't make the playoffs last season. And are you going to go through all the building prep and promotional et cetera for the possibility of only 2 home games? At least a 28 game season gives fans 14 chances to see their favorite team.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

My idea would have been this

16 game season aginst division rivals only and all teams make playoffs with top seeds getting byes in each confernce.

First round would have been best 3 of 5.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

My idea would have been this

16 game season aginst division rivals only and all teams make playoffs with top seeds getting byes in each confernce.

First round would have been best 3 of 5.

All teams? You mean all 30? I need clarification on how the whole playoff thing would work? You say top seeds (by that, I assume you mean division winners?) get byes, so do the other 12 teams in the playoffs in each conference play down to 6? Then, with the 9 remaining teams, what happens? I don't get it... :wacko:

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

So then the short season would seed every team by points? OK, gotcha. But, still: every team makes the playoffs? Even Columbus? I don't know about that...

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

I think they should publicly execute both Bettman and Goodenow at mid-ice on the first game of the NHL's return.

Too harsh? Okay.

Well, how about having a 32-team Stanley Cup playoff between the 30 NHL teams and the top two teams from the AHL (just to round out the field). Pair each bracket geographically, or if that's not agreeable have a World Cup Soccer-style random draw. Each round except for the finals is a best of 3 series, with the finals being a best of 7.

nav-logo.png

They should probably contact Mike Helton and the France family for some advice.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

• 2 weeks later...
They should probably contact Mike Helton and the France family for some advice.

Then we'd have 10 team playoff called the "CHase for The STANLEY Cup" every year.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

what they need to do is get rid of the godawful way they determine the standings. only have wins, losses and ties. no dumb overtime losses or any other things that would not make people understand how each team is scored like saying that the islanders finish (44-28-11-5) none of that crap.

just play the game and remember that a loss is a loss, no matter if it happens in overtime or not.

arodsig.jpg THE TOUGHEST S.O.B. IN THE CCSLC!

Satan Lives! The Devil On Earth Breathes! -Jim Ross about Vince McMahon, WM 22

"THAT WAS THE WORD OF YANKEEMAN"

sterling.jpggodzilla.jpg

26 World Championships and still going strong. Get used to it Red Sox Nation!

"Yankees win! Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Yankees win!" -John Sterling after every Yankee win

To Be The Yankees, You Gotta Whoooooooooo!!! beat the Yankees!!!

Why 22 teams and how did you come up with those locations?

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Archived