Methodist College Monarchs

andrewharrington

Over in the requests section, the Director of Admissions of Methodist College sumoned the board to create something for its athletic department as its Marketing Committee is in the process of "branding." They want to consolidate the Athletic Department into one logo instead of four, and they want the school color to be continuous throughout. By request, the logo was to be a lion wearing a crown to connote "Monarchs." I have created this draft to send to Methodist College, using the official school colors, plus the dark gold that I added for the exclusive use of the logo. What do you, the valued memebers of the CCSLC, think of this concept, and what do you think can be done to improve this concept during the implementation process?

Methodist-College-Monarchs.gif

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I think you could add more gold to the mane, it still looks deep in shadows. Something about the points of the crown seem a little off, I can't quite place it.

The wordmark needs work. I think the nickname could be much bolder, and you should do a version where the school name is the emphasis as well. Look at other college logos, most have 2 different versions where the emphasis is placed on either the school name or the nickname.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

True true. I was instructed not to make a complete package in case nothing comes out of the deal. That is the only reason there is one wordmark rather than two. The mane is predominantly green so the gold face and crown pop out of it more. For whimsy, the leftmost highlights in the mane form an MC a la University of Arkansas-Pine Bluff, but that is not meant to be a dominant element of the logo. In fact, I did not even mention it to the college when I sent it to them. I agree with you about the points of the crown, though. I paid little attention to it when I put this together, so that definitely needs revisiting. Thank you sir for the critique, and I need to go to sleep.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I can see the similarities on the overall shape and placement, but the execution is very different overall. i would take one cue from the one steve-o posted and make the back of the crown to help finish out the logo. also work on the contrast a lighter base gold should work, maybe a darker green as well, or you can go the other route and have a lighter green.

it's a great concept, but if you want my advice, I would make the dark gold little lighter, to be just maybe 10% darker than normal, ecause the dark gold blends with dark green and so the font as well as the lion look weird. Just try it, not that I'm sure it will work, but try it. Otherwise, great concept.

I like the back of the crown suggestion. Thanks for that one. That is what it seemed to be missing up there. As for the colors, with the exception of the dark gold, they are the official school colors, and I doubt they will change them and convert all their other institutional stuff as well. They do not seem to want to spend a whole lotta money. I will try to decrease the value of the dark gold and see how that looks. I could not find a PANTONE between the two golds that I have used, so I suppose lightening it is the other option.

I'm too tired to post all the positives.

YOur skills are really coming along rapidly.

FIrst glance thoughts?

Is teh "M" in Methodist Bolded or something?

More later.

Keep up the terrific work.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

That thing with the M is bothering me too. It is an inconsistency with the font, I suppose. I will have to fix it when I revise the the logo.

this is a great piece of work. My favorite concept by you so far.

On the crown, the middle uh point outline (the greeen part) mabye you could make it more of a point. I keep looking at it. Just some fine tunning will make this baby even better.

I think you can get away without pupils because it helps bring the white into the lion design. Have you tinkered with pupils though? Perhaps just to see how it looks wouldnt be a bad idea...

once again, looks sharp!

peshtigobloglogocc.jpg twittericonkingslut.gif

As a general comment, I wonder why when animal logos are done, they are predominantly shown in profile rather than straight ahead. A lion in profile, reminds me of :

MGMlionlg.jpg

IMHO, an animal would be more intimidating / menacing if it appeared to be looking at you rather than off to the side.

Bill813.png

As a general comment, I wonder why when animal logos are done, they are predominantly shown in profile rather than straight ahead. A lion in profile, reminds me of

This actually a 3/4 view, not a profile. The pride logo is in profile. By the way, that Pride logo is excellent. The lacrosse net/paw print is genius. The execution of the whole package is great. Does anyone know who did it? Anyway, back to the pose question. My personal preference guides me away from stright-on perspectives. I like logos that connote motion, and a straight-on view looks too static for me. A prime example would be the seahawks logo. The profile rendering has great motion, but I am positive I would not like it if it were a stright-on perspective, because it would have no motion. I want to hone my skills at profile drawing though, because I am not very good at it. That is why you have never seen a profile logo from me haha.

Archived