Sports Illustrated reports NHL Uniform changes

paynomind

I was told by a very reliable friend of mine:

In the current issue of Sports Illustrated (with LeBron on the cover) talks about the 'changes' for the NHL for next year, if they play. One of them says they will have ALL teams redesign their uniforms. They mention skiing suits, with spider web patterns and such.

Anyone read this?

Sounds like pie-in-the-sky to me.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Who wrote the article? It sounds like it was done tongue-in-cheek.

I've seen catalogs with Under-Armour like gear for hockey. Full body suits and such, but it's what goes under the uniform, not the uniform itself.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

OK, I tracked down a copy of SI, and see the paragraph he was talking about. It isnt as much as I thought, but it is a little odd.. here, i'll type it up.. (Written by Michael Farber)

"Yes, the NHL is also planning a fashion overhaul. Overwhelmed by vintage NBA and baseball jerseys in recent years, hockey sweaters are neither hop nor hop. Reebok is, however, upbeat. Last year it purchased The Hockey Company, which is the official manufacturer of NHL uniforms, and plans to roll out new sweaters in 2006. Although Reebok was unwilling to preview the unis for Sports Illustrated, a league official who has seen prototypes describes them as "sleek, something that implies motion even at rest, like a ski racer's uniform or Spiderman's costume."

Uhh.. ok.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

No, it's true. I read it in Sports Illustrated last night. Apparently the league has a lot a changes in mind, including new jerseys designed by Reebok, for the 2006 season. I wonder if that means they expect the lockout to last that long....

Condorssig.jpg

Perhaps Reebok will be adding more striping patterns and such to hockey pants in order to discourage teams from having plain black or navy blue for that part of the uniform.

With some well deisgned shells for pants teams could have more complete and integrated designs for their uniforms.

I just hope they don't get crazy with the Cheez Whiz and turn hockey uniforms into apparel that wouldn't look out of place in a sequel to Tron.

I don't like this idea at all. Something tells me they'll do what the NFL has slowly become. Guys wearing jerseys where they just conform to the pads and body. In otherwords, tights. Perhaps we've seen a preview of this? The CCM women's jerseys? :blink:

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I don't like this idea at all. Something tells me they'll do what the NFL has slowly become. Guys wearing jerseys where they just conform to the pads and body. In otherwords, tights. Perhaps we've seen a preview of this? The CCM women's jerseys? :blink:

Or......

shania-1.jpgshania-2.jpg

I saw, I came, I left.

This doesn't sound good, but I also don't think it will take affect.

The NHL seems to be looking in all the wrong places to rebuild.

They obviously first need to get a deal done so they CAN rebuild.

Then, they don't need to make changes to their image (the actual graphics and uniforms). In fact, they need to play on the tradition and get the diehards back. From there, they must build up to a nationwide audience, but at this point they need to understand they have to start small and at the roots.

... a league official who has seen prototypes describes them as "sleek, something that implies motion even at rest, like a ski racer's uniform or Spiderman's costume.

I'm thinking he's talking about the use of sublimated graphics and subtle shading.

Ski racers' tights are all about graphics, including sublimated designs. Whenever you hear the costumes in Spiderman discussed, there always seems to be a reference made to how subtle, sublimated shading in the costume's fabric made Tobey Maguire appear more muscular.

change the material all you want... that's just technological advances... they aren't playing in sweaters anymore, so it's fine with me to change the material and/or fit of the uniforms......

but again, if the bleu, blanc, et rougue of the montreal canadiens isn't true to form with the sweater that vezina wore on his deathbed, then the NHL is going to lose some fans.

tradition is the #1 thing hockey has going for it.

maybe theyll be less baggy, kind of like the sweaters they used to wear back in the day, im sure theyll just look more streamlined, however, that 'spiderman costume' comment definately makes me wonder if theyll do something 'out there'

If they make these things a bit more streamlined, what about us fat folk? It's not gonna be a pretty sight :lol:

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

If logos change, like my Leafs logo, or colours are changed, or something rediculously stupid is done to make it look like a Modo hockey team jersey, I swear I am also done with the NHL. Hockey is truly a sport built off of tradition, and im sure ALOT of the Original 6 teams will block this attempt, same with some of the expansion franchises of the late 60's, like Philidelphia. If they also try and hide images in the jersey, ala Toronto Rock La crosse Jersey I will walk over to the ACC and burn that jersey right then and there. I REALLY dont like the sound of this...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Archived