Players Who's #'s Should Be Retired

the_cynic

The Habs should have at least two more retired:

19 - Larry Robinson

33 - Patrick Roy

I think Roy deserves it--but it may be awhile--Montreal, as a whole, tends to hold hockey grudges for a long time.

Big Bird's is overdue...

But then no games to do this at yet...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I still say the Reds should retire #14. Hell, if a minor league team can retire Rose's number, the Reds could petition to retire it.

Well that's just a matter of time before that happens. Rose is a GOD!

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

#23 needs to be below the "hey hey" flag at wrigley (Ryno)

The Cubs are slower about retiring numbers than even the Packers-and the Pack are slow about doing it, usually.

Packers: Reggie's 92 is going to be retired. The final Packer to have his number retired is likely going to be Favre. After that, they're probably gonna simply retire guys' jerseys.

Bears: they've retired too many numbers as it is. Can't name anyone I think is deserving, really, that hasn't been honored already.

Cubs: Mark Grace deserves it, but next up will probably be Sosa and then Maddux. Both deserving, but they're shoo-ins while Grace ain't.

Avs, Bucks: nobody deserving who hasn't been accounted for already in Milwaukee's case, nobody deserving's retired yet in Colorado's case.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

#19 - Steve Yzerman

#93 - Doug Gilmour (for all he's done for the franchise, it's the least we could do)

#21 - Borje Salming (he EARNED it)

#11 - Mark Messier (about time)

#10 - Ron Francis (in Carolina and in Hartford)

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

Maybe the Reds can retire Rose's number when they break their affiliation with Major League Baseball.

Till then, I don't see it happening.

Are you telling me that Bud Selig is telling the Reds they can't retire Rose's jersey?

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Just thinking of a few here...

RANGERS

Brian Leetch (also could honor Brad Park as well seeing they both wore #2)

Mark Messier

RED WINGS

Vladdy Konstantinov (it's unofficially retired right now, but that needs to be a permanent thing..just my opinion)

Yzerman and Lidstrom are lead pipe locks to be up in the rafters at the Joe once they call it a day

OTHER NHLers...

Larry Robinson (Habs)

Mark Messier (Oilers)

Ron Francis (Pens & Canes)

Doug Gilmour (Leafs)

Al MacInnis (Flames & Blues)

Borje Salming (Leafs)

Ken Daneyko (Devils...why they didn't do this last year when they had Ken Daneyko Night at the CAA was an absolute joke)

METS

Gary Carter

Keith Hernandez

TIGERS

Lou Whitaker

Alan Trammell

Jack Morris

Sparky Anderson (Should be done in Cincy too if the Reds haven't already)

TWINS (not 100% on these, seeing they have the banners way the heck up in the upper reaches of the Metrodome :lol: I do know off the top of my head that Killebrew, Carew, Puckett, and Hrbek have been honored..so if these are repeats, don't go mental on me, Twins fans :lol: )

Jim Kaat

Bob Allison

Tony Oliva

Tom Kelly

PISTONS

None really come to mind...they already have Dave Bing, Isiah, and Dumars up there (along with Chuck Daly)

KNICKS

Bernard King

NY JETS

Gotta figure Curtis Martin gets his retired at some point, probably when he makes the HOF

LIONS

I like what they're doing with the ROARING 20s...Honoring 4 Lions greats that shared #20 over the years (most obvious being Barry Sanders and Billy Sims)..dunno when that's gonna happen at Ford Field, but they did announce the plans for it on Thanksgiving.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

#93 - Doug Gilmour (for all he's done for the franchise, it's the least we could do)

According to the rules of the Toronto Maple Leafs, Doug Gilmour is one of the few players who qualifies to have their number retired by the team.

A player's number may only be retired if he is killed or suffers a career ending injury while a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Dougie had a career ending injury 2 periods into his 2003 Maple Leafs comeback, he qualifies.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Are you telling me that Bud Selig is telling the Reds they can't retire Rose's jersey?

Rose is banned from baseball. One can assume that would mean anything affiliated directly with Major League Baseball and its teams. The Century 21 honor was different, it is sponsored by Century 21, not Major League Baseball.

Maybe the Reds can retire the 14, but Rose can't be there when it happens.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

It depends on how you look at what retiring your number means. Its sort of like entering your particular teams HOF.

Now, Green Bay already has that, so its an extra honor that Reggie, and soon Favre will have their respective #s retired.

But its important to think about this, putting aside how much you love any single player and cannot imagine another guy wearing his #, that mostly this is just a practicality issue.

Teams, although it seems silly, plan on playing these games for the next hundred years and further. At some point you'd run out of numbers. It may seem cruel that Hornung ( I think) doesn't have his number retired, but at some point if you went too bonkers (like with that Steelers post) you'd be removing like a dozen numbers at once. What are your current and future stars going to wear?

I was sick when Sterlings 84 went to Morgan, and then Rison, and then stupid Schroeder...........I would complain endlessly about how that was disgraceful and they shouldve retired it. Now, regardless of whether his career warranted it or not, Walker comes along and while IMHO is not as good as Sharpe, he is a great young talent and worthy of the #.

Teams get a lot of stuff wrong, but in this case I think they are smart to plan way ahead and kind of cool it on the retiring of #s.

Whats the diff between retiring jerseys and numbers? Cause There is a Molitor #4 jersey in Miller Parks outfield. Does that mean no one can wear 4 or no?

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Rose is banned from baseball. One can assume that would mean anything affiliated directly with Major League Baseball and its teams. The Century 21 honor was different, it is sponsored by Century 21, not Major League Baseball.

Maybe the Reds can retire the 14, but Rose can't be there when it happens.

It's time to lift the ban! :cursing:

Retired Number's To Come

Tug McGraw's number 45 in Philly.

I'd have to disagree with you, sir. Not to take away from his role in the only championship in that woweful franchise's history, but I think we're getting a little blinded by his couragous fight against brain cancer. If we're retiring his number, why not the Bull's? If anyone from that team should have their number retired (that hasn't already) it would be Rose's #14. I'm not suggesting that they retire it (I guess it already is - for Jim Bunning) I'm just saying that he is more deserving than McGraw.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

the jets should retire dennis byrd's #77 and boomer esiasons #7, the brewers, jays & twins should retire paul molitors #4, the knicks with john starks and nascar should retire the car numbers of its two greatest champions #3 dale earnhardt and #43 richard petty

arodsig.jpg THE TOUGHEST S.O.B. IN THE CCSLC!

Satan Lives! The Devil On Earth Breathes! -Jim Ross about Vince McMahon, WM 22

"THAT WAS THE WORD OF YANKEEMAN"

sterling.jpggodzilla.jpg

26 World Championships and still going strong. Get used to it Red Sox Nation!

"Yankees win! Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Yankees win!" -John Sterling after every Yankee win

To Be The Yankees, You Gotta Whoooooooooo!!! beat the Yankees!!!

Archived