Who was your favorite player growing up?

Gary

I'm curious, we were all kids once. Everyone had their childhood hero in sports or there favorite player. I will say mine was Alan Trammel. Can't say why, but this man was one of the best Shortstops in baseball, but yet he never got the recognition such as Ozzie Davis, Robin Yount, and Cal Ripken Jr. Man was quiet, but yet he put up solid numbers. To this day I consider having an interview with the current Tigers Manager as the greatest day of my life, other than my daughters birth and meeting my soulmate. But I want to know who were your favorite/childhood heroes in sports growing up?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trammel is good choice. I grew up in Detroit and loved the guy as a kid.

My lil bro had a hard on for every AT basball card he could find :wacko:

My favorites were Rickey Henderson, Joe Dumars, Barry Sanders, Steve Yzerman (and he still is and forever will be!)

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Jose Canseco was always my favourite baseball player, I was 7 and the A's were dominating -- sue me :P I also was a fan of Fernando Tatis until he dropped off the face of the planet.

Paul Coffey for me in hockey, as well as a very honourable mention to Ziggy Palffy.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Trammel is good choice. I grew up in Detroit and loved the guy as a kid.

My lil bro had a hard on for every AT basball card he could find :wacko:

My favorites were Rickey Henderson, Joe Dumars, Barry Sanders, Steve Yzerman (and he still is and forever will be!)

I think i'm the same way. In my sports room I have every single baseball card ever made of Alan Trammel especially his manager cards :blink:

I was 11 in 1993 when the Phillies went to the World Series and I love that team. It's hard for me to choose favorites, but if I did it would be Lenny Dykstra and John Kruk.

But honorable mentions include: Darren Daulton, Curt Schilling, Danny Jackson and a little bit later Rico Brogna. Other than the Phillies I would go with Randall Cunningham. He was more exciting and fun to watch than Vick, McNabb and Culpepper combined.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Garry Unger, no question about it. He was my idol as a kid. Later in life, when I was a third year law student in Oklahoma City, Unger became the coach of the Tulsa Oilers of the CHL and I had the chance to meet and talk with him. When I told him that he was a childhood idol of mine he took one look at me and said "I don't want to know how old you are, do I, because that will remind me exactly how old I am." Very nice guy.

Mike Schmidt in baseball, then Ripken and Murray.

Bernie Federko, then Ray Borque in Hockey. Also Brett Hull.

Giorgio Chinaglia, Pele, Werner Roth, Franz Beckennbauer, Gerd Mueller, Steve Zungul, Stan Stamenkovic,Mike Stankovic and Tim Wittman. Loved playing and watching soccer, indoor and out, as a kid.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

I'm curious, we were all kids once. Everyone had their childhood hero in sports or there favorite player. I will say mine was Alan Trammel. Can't say why, but this man was one of the best Shortstops in baseball, but yet he never got the recognition such as Ozzie Davis, Robin Yount, and Cal Ripken Jr. Man was quiet, but yet he put up solid numbers. To this day I consider having an interview with the current Tigers Manager as the greatest day of my life, other than my daughters birth and meeting my soulmate. But I want to know who were your favorite/childhood heroes in sports growing up?

Damn, I didn't know somebody else here grew up idolizing Ozzie Davis. I thought I was the only one! Why he's not in the Hall of Fame yet is beyond me...

:P

QPR%20Sig.png

Hate to sound like I am copying off your LILG, but Alan Trammell was my favorite baseball player growing up. Though Lance Parrish was a close second. For hockey it was John Vanbiesbrouck. I like Yzerman and Gerard Gallant, too. But I always played goalie and the Wings never had a decent goalie when I was growing up.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Not that these names will mean much to most people on the boards, but my favourite sports people growing up were mainly cricketers. Robin Smith was my absolute number 1 I think.

And as a Southampton soccer fan, Matthew Le Tissier sdeserves a mention as well.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I had a favorite in all four sports that I looked up to when I was a kid.

Football it was none other than John Elway (he was drafted the same year I was born and I've been a Broncos fan since I was two years old)

Hockey it was Patrick Roy (I was 12 when he was traded to the Avs).

Baseball has and always will be Ken Griffey Jr.

Basketball was LaPhonso Ellis (I met him once when I was young and always admired him on and off the court).

I had a few...

Hockey, it was Ron Francis (aka Ronnie Franchise). To this day, my biggest thrill of all time (wellp, besides popping the question to my g/f on New Year's Eve) was running into him at one of the restaurants in Greektown after the Canes had played the Wings at the Joe (I just happened to be in Detroit at the time)...

Baseball, it was Len Dykstra. Gutty lil' SOB that he was...was my fave on the Mets. Still followed him after he went to Philly. A close 2nd was Rico Brogna, mostly b/c he's from the same area of CT as I am (I live in Woodbury, he's from Watertown, which is the next town over).

Football, it was Wesley Walker. My first Jets jersey I ever got (when I was about 8 years old) was a Walker one (one of the old school replicas that Wilson or Rawlings made that was that heavyweight material with the team name on the front under the number and no name on the back)...

Basketball, it was Joe Dumars. I liked Isiah, but seeing that he was the one guy EVERYONE liked on the Pistons, I decided to be different and be a total Dumars fan :lol: My 2nd fave on those Bad Boy teams was Rick Mahorn (once again, siding with the local product...seeing he's from Hartford)

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Probably Lanny McDonald. I was 6 or 7 and living in southern Alberta when the Flames won the Stanley Cup. I don't remember Lanny playing so much as I simply remember the mustache. Plus, in the years since he retired, the fact that he has continued to support communities in Calgary and southern Alberta is very classy.

LaPhonso Ellis

Hmmm, I sense WHERE ARE THEY NOW segment coming?

Dumars

It was his defense and quiet demeaner that won me.

At every level, I modeled my game after his.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Dave Stieb. When I was growing up, Dave could do no wrong. Coolest Blue Jay ever!

I would say "Currently I follow" but since they're not doing anything this season, I'll just mention Joe Sakic and Marc Savard. I watched Savard in the OHL, so I just followed him up. Since Stieb retired, I didn't have a pure favorite to follow

Karl Malone of course and with his "recent antics" I would say that I have ever more love for the guy! :D

I also have to through in John Stockton, Charles Barkely, Ken Griffey Jr., Joe Montana, & Steve Young!

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Archived