missouri state u. concept contest?

in yesterdays springfield newsleader there was a article about all some of the items that would have to be changed if sms becomes msu, costing between $200,000 - $500,000, and in the article they said the bear head would probably be kept but would be "tweaked" with a new wordmark, most likely "MISSOURI STATE", and it got me thinking what would the "new tweaked" logo look like.

i thought it would be fun to do so i began to do a few redesigns, that will be posted (very rough drafts first) on my test site, but i wondered what other members could come up with, i have heard that they would listen to suggestions. <_<

sms.gif

Southwest Missouri State is changing to Missouri State Univ. (Like we need another MSU) - I like the sound of SMS. It rolls off the tongue - but those people in Springfield got to be difficult.

My school is changing it's name but it's not that big a change -

Missouri Western State College is dropping the College and adding University.

Go Golden Griffons!!!

miaa_mwsc_griffins.gif

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Pittsburg State, representing! :D

Actually, I'm scared to death of playing Washburn in the conference tournament. You guys are going to kill us.

Anyway, oh yeah, sports logos. . . I'm glad Missouri State is keeping their bear. It's one of my favorite logos, combined with their wordmark.

Wow, the MIAA has some fans here...nice. I live just across the state line from Joplin and work there about 5 blocks from Southern, (when I'm not here in Lawrence that is) but I was always a Pitt State boy. That isn't a bad little rivalry in any sport when both teams are good, but it's extremely rare that that happens.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

Along with SMS changing To Missouri State and Mo. Western changing, Central Missouri State university will be known as The University of Central Missouri. Harris Stowe college will become Harris Stowe State College and Mo. Southern has some sort of minor name tweak can't recall it though

Southwest Missouri State University will be Missouri State University.

Missouri Western State College becomes Missouri Western State University.

Harris-Stowe State College becomes Harris-Stowe State University.

Missouri Southern State University-Joplin becomes Missouri Southern State University.

Central Missouri State University has the option to become the University of Central Missouri.

KC Scout - it's a fight nearly 20 years in the making for SMS to get the name change - which is well deserved. Yeah, I'm biased (Springfield native, lifelong fan and SMS class of 2000). The thing is this, we all love the "SMS" here. You get outside of Missouri, and even out of Springfield and folks don't have a clue what "SMS" stands for.

And Springfield people got to be difficult? :cursing: We're persistent. I'd say resorting to a professor emeritus of journalism giving false testimony at a House Committee hearing is being "difficult."

SpringfieldCardinalsWord.gif

I'll give my dissent here... BOOO! There's nothing wrong with SMSU's name. Renaming to Missouri State isn't going to really do anything for them. See also: Northeast Missouri State becoming Truman State.

I do love that Missouri Western logo, the way the wings create the state outline.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I'll give my dissent here... BOOO! There's nothing wrong with SMSU's name. Renaming to Missouri State isn't going to really do anything for them. See also: Northeast Missouri State becoming Truman State.

I do love that Missouri Western logo, the way the wings create the state outline.

i didnt notice that until you said it

As I pull this topic increasingly off subject, yeah, for a Division II conference, the MIAA has some rather nice logos.

Truman, Western, Pitt State, Southern . . .

Washburn would have a really nice, classy package if they gave up on the Wisconsin "W" and focused on the stylized Ichabod logo. I can't seem to find a picture of that crazy thing on their site, though.

Unless Truman's gone to something other than the weak bulldog they used when I was there (though, it was NMSU when I was there), their logo's not very good.

I have always loved that Pittsburg logo, though.

POTD 2013-08-22

Hmm, lets see if I can actually post a picture.

truman_state_logo.gif

Yeah, it's kind of placid, but there's not much with a bulldog that hasn't been done, and I think it looks cool when superimposed on the state outline.

It came with the name change in 1996(?).

I graduated from Missouri....There is so much animosity right now between the two schools over the name change. For the last 2 years the admin. at Mizzou has been contending that they are the only state school and SMS shouldn't be allowed to change their name. I for one did not agree. Think about it, every state has their 2 universities like this... (UNC, NC state, Michigan, Michigan State, Illinois, Illinois State etc....)The one without state is usually better accidemically, and the state one is easier to get into. It is no different in Missouri, and SMS deserved the chance to enhance their reputation. Hopefully it will allow them to better recruit in the future so the two schools can have some kind of yearly rivalry (although they would probably whoop us in Bball this year) Anyways, I still say GO MIZZOU!!

Considering that the "directional" schools are also state-supported schools, UM needs to get their head out of their... well, you know. I still think it's a silly change, but if UM wants to suggest that its four schools (Columbia, Kansas City, Rolla, St. Louis) are the only state schools, they're as backwards as, um, the rest of Missouri, I guess.

Hm, I thought they used that before the name change, obviously minus the T. They also used that generic crouching bulldog, so who knows.

POTD 2013-08-22

The one without state is usually better accidemically, and the state one is easier to get into. It is no different in Missouri, and SMS deserved the chance to enhance their reputation.

Check the admissions standards of the two schools.

I think it'll be a good change, but mostly not for athletic reasons. It'll take awhile to get used to not referring to "SMS", but I think I can handle it. :P

SpringfieldCardinalsWord.gif

Whoa, I wasn't tryin to rag on your school, but if you are trying to tell me that "MSU" is a better school than Mizzou, than I am going to have to disagree with you. Just look at the princeton review's public school rankings and see the difference in rank. Again, I loved going down there when I was at Mizzou and I have a great time at Rem's and other bars with all my boys from HS, but don't tell me that it's a better school.

I'm not going to say Missouri State is better than Missouri, but don't trust the Princeton Review for much. I believe in last year's ratings St. Olaf got higher marks than the University of Minnesota.

Pittsburg continues to get ranked in there even though we don't send them information.

Trust the U.S. News and World Report.

Oh, and Mockba, you may be right about Truman's logo. There just is something about it for me. I'm strange like that. ^_^

Ironically, the EASTERN border of the state.

I'm a Mizzou alum who has no problem with the name change. There's no reason why a school as big as SMS shouldn't have a "bigger sounding" name and to be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing a day when they move their football program up to D1A. I think Missouri could support 2 big time programs and it really wouldn't be to the detriment of Mizzou. They couldn't possibly suck more at in-state recruiting than they do now!

Oh and as far as the MIAA roll call we've got going in this thread, I'll represent for my hometown member school - GO LINCOLN BLUE TIGERS!

I agree. The name change is great for the state. As MU alumni, I do know they NEED to better recruit in state. They let Tyler Hansbourough from Poplar Bluff go to UNC in bball when all of his siblings and both parents are MU alum. Then in football we lost Chris Brooks from Hazelwood East in StL to Nebraska after a verbal to MU. Both coaches need to really get on the Missouri recruiting train and make sure those players aren't leaving the state. MSU should join confrence USA now that all those other teams are leaving...just a thought.

Archived