If you thought the LA Angels of Anaheim was stupid

Waffles

http://www.nj.com/business/ledger/index.ss...33031311460.xml

Brett Yormark promised to breathe life into the Nets' sagging sponsorship business, and after seven weeks as the team's chief executive, he is beginning to deliver.

The former NASCAR executive has yet to persuade the NBA to allow him to stitch corporate patches on his team's uniforms, but suddenly the Nets are "the New Jersey Nets presented by Jackson Hewitt."

Groovy.

I'm still waiting for Maxi Tampon stadium from BASEketball.

Staying on topic, it doesn't bother me too much. Sports talk guys will still call the teams the New Jersey Nets and Chicago White Sox. So will fans. Their names probably won't change on the websites. I can live with the play-by-play guy reminding us they're "Presented by someone" a few times a game. Like the article said, I think the majority of sports fans accepted corporate tie-ins once and for all some time ago.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

I don't see why this trend surprises anyone. With the escalation of salaries, some one has to foot the bill. These corporations probably own most of the revenue generating luxury suites for these teams, so they might as well have their name attached to the team as well since they do pay the bills.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

The NBA, NHL, NFL and MLB will all have ads on their uniforms within five years. It'll be tacky, but it's just the way things are going to go.

We'll get used to it.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I think it's a far better to sell advertising than say, on the uniforms or having ads plastered all over the arena floor. (I mean, the team presented by..)

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

The NBA, NHL, NFL and MLB will all have ads on their uniforms within five years. It'll be tacky, but it's just the way things are going to go.

We'll get used to it.

The way I see it, all teams already have advertising because the team logos are a form of advertisement. Plus the clothing manufacturer's logo is on the uniform. That's advertising.

I saw, I came, I left.

The NBA, NHL, NFL and MLB will all have ads on their uniforms within five years.  It'll be tacky, but it's just the way things are going to go. 

We'll get used to it.

I, for one, won't. What a sad day for sports that'll be. corporate sponsorship needs to stop somewhere. stadium names are one thing (i still hate cheesy corporate venue names), but putting them on unis are too much. with the way things are going now, get ready for Visa Super Bowl XLIX.

Just imagine doing uni concepts with sponsor logos on them. scary, huh?

The NBA, NHL, NFL and MLB will all have ads on their uniforms within five years.  It'll be tacky, but it's just the way things are going to go. 

We'll get used to it.

I, for one, won't. What a sad day for sports that'll be. corporate sponsorship needs to stop somewhere. stadium names are one thing (i still hate cheesy corporate venue names), but putting them on unis are too much. with the way things are going now, get ready for Visa Super Bowl XLIX.

Just imagine doing uni concepts with sponsor logos on them. scary, huh?

Oh it stinks. I agree. It will definately affect whether I buy any jerseys again. WIth the ads it will be tacky, but without, it will be "un-authentic."

But look at Nascar and the ads those guys are plastered with-- and the sport grows everyday.

Big changes that upset fans include: the three point line, expanded playoffs, scheduling games around TV (late night games on the east), a point for an overtime loss (bothers me anyway), but we always get used to them and accept them.

Advertisements on uniforms--I hate it, but people will not stop waching in any significamt numbers because of it--and the leagues know it.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

this might be weird making pro sports so commerical. next thing you know, we'll be seeing teams take on the sponsors that are plastered in press conference banners like

The Chicago Cubs presented by Sears

The SF Giants sponsored by SBC

The Pats, Celtics, Bruins & Red Sox sponsored by Dunkin Donuts (seriously)

The New York Mets sponsored by Delta

The New York Knicks & Rangers sponsored by Foot Locker & Cablevision

The Jets sponsored by Cadillac

The Giants sponsored by Wachovia

Every Philly team sponsored by Comcast , and so on

arodsig.jpg THE TOUGHEST S.O.B. IN THE CCSLC!

Satan Lives! The Devil On Earth Breathes! -Jim Ross about Vince McMahon, WM 22

"THAT WAS THE WORD OF YANKEEMAN"

sterling.jpggodzilla.jpg

26 World Championships and still going strong. Get used to it Red Sox Nation!

"Yankees win! Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Yankees win!" -John Sterling after every Yankee win

To Be The Yankees, You Gotta Whoooooooooo!!! beat the Yankees!!!

I can visualize NFL fields selling the end zones as billboards. And it won't look so different. Instead of running into a big red splotch of ground that has red-and-yellow letters saying "Chiefs", it will be a big red splotch of ground that has red-and-yellow letters saying "McDonald's".

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Last I checked, sports teams were businesses not civic organizations. The teams don't owe the fans anything and if you think that protesting putting ads on jerseys, fields, etc is going to stop them, you're dead wrong. It's all about the $. Always has been, always will be. And even if a protest does succeed (Spiderman bases for instance) the attention given to the situation is sometimes better than the actual act.

Perhaps American sports will go the route of sports in other countries. In Japan, baseball teams are called by their owners instead of their cities. (The Nippon Ham Fighters are owned by a meat company, Nippon Ham; and the Yomiuri Giants are owned by the newspaper The Daily Yomiuri.)

CK3ZP8E.jpg

As long as they don't go as overboard as those European hockey teams, it shouldn't be too different. Hell, they do this type of thing in the CFL and TV ratings and game attendance have never been higher.

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

If the uniforms look like english and other european soccer jerseys, I have no problem with it. For the most part, they are done very tasteful and almost look cool. Can you imagine Liverpool without "Carlsburg" across their chest? Or Man U without Vodafone?

Itd be kind of like Nascar. Eventuallly the coropoate logo becomes so much a part of your team (or driver) that Dale Jr. BECOMES Budweiser, or the Bears will Become Bank One. I mean, do you honestly notice Nascar company names that much? I don't, at least so much that its distracting. And I'm not even a race fan.

Honestly, US sports are the only place you DON"T see some kind of ads on sports uniforms. Aussie Rules Football, Rugby, Cricket for gods sake! Basketball overseas, south american soccer, russian hockey I think has ads on them :)

Archived