AHL Challenge

Sodboy13

Okay, as a Chicago Wolves diehard, I am a huge fan of the AHL. And while it is a minor league, something that has always frustrated me is some teams' need to tie into their parent clubs to the point that their identity is a cheap carbon copy of the NHL club. So, here are some teams I have issues with (for this reason and assorted others.) Let's see what you creative types can come up with to re-invent these teams.

Hartford Wolf Pack: Let's get past the Rangers alts.

Providence Bruins: Don't have to change the name, but a unique uni would be nice.

Springfield Falcons: Sleeve talons?

Albany River Rats: A name with potential, wasted on a cartoon logo and Devils clone unis.

Binghamton Senators: You know, they've made this work. I don't mind it at all.

Norfolk Admirals: Only one team in this league should be the Admirals, and they've been around a whole lot longer than this one. Plus, now the unis are cheap Blackhawks clones. Ugh.

WBS Penguins: A fine example of another team that took the parent's name and made their own identity. I like it.

Edmonton Road Runners: Well, Rocky's back in Phoenix, but this team needs some retooling to make it look good.

Hamilton Bulldogs: Great logo (with Oilers colors) slapped on a Habs uni. Give 'em something of their own.

St. John's Maple Leafs: They're moving to Toronto next year (as a result of the Leafs forcing out the 'Runners,) and I'll be damned if they're called the Toronto Minor Maple Leafs or something equally reprehensible. Give this team a unique identity.

Syracuse Crunch: The name. The logo. The unis. Blow it all up.

Cincinnati Mighty Ducks: Anyone up for a Cyclones redux?

Houston Aeros: Words cannot express my contempt for what has been done to this team's identity. Ditch everything about it. Hell, if you brought back their IHL-era identity, I'd be a happy man.

Peoria Rivermen: They're coming back to the AHL, so re-invent their uniforms. Currently, they're just copying the Thrashers alts. I always thought a great shoulder logo for them would be a "P" in a riverboat steering wheel, but that's just me.

San Antonio Rampage: Potential lost in a jumbled mess. Clean this up.

Utah Grizzles: Trash the Coyotes clones (which are, in themselves, clones of the '67 Maple Leafs, with brick substituted for blue.) What was wrong with jade and copper, anyway?

And of course, any other ideas you have for this challenge will be greatly appreciated.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont really mind when teams use their affiliates as a template. You said that there should only be one 'Admirals'. You're right in saying that Milwaukee has been around longer, but they were in the IHL...not the AHL (until the I folded), so that can't really be held against Norfolk. I think Springfield has the worst uni's in the league.

I dont really mind when teams use their affiliates as a template. You said that there should only be one 'Admirals'. You're right in saying that Milwaukee has been around longer, but they were in the IHL...not the AHL (until the I folded), so that can't really be held against Norfolk. I think Springfield has the worst uni's in the league.

Seeing that I have followed the Norfolk Admirals (formerly of the ECHL-Hampton Roads Admirals) since their days in the ECHL, where they made the playoffs EVERY season and won three championships and that they are my "home" team, and with this being the biggest naval area in the U.S., I think we seriously deserve the name Admirals. That, combined with the excellent point made by BelfourThibault about who deserves the nickname. I dont exactly know the Milwaukee teams history as well as I do the Norfolk history, but I've made my point.

Now I do agree with you that one of them should change the nickname cuz it is WAY past redundant to have two teams with the same nickname in the same league. Frankly its just stupid. I also agree the new Norfolk Admirals/Baby Blackhawks unis stink. No orginiality. The ones they wore since joining the AHL absolutley rocked. I loved them. And the new battleship logo is crap too. The logo they brought with them from the ECHL is steeped in tradition here in south Hampton Roads, I am not alone in saying I am sad to see the anchor and the blue and gold color scheme go to the wayside merely to market the parent club.

Just my opinion, lol. I am very defensive of my Admirals, what can I say. And as much as I like Trent Yawney, I gotta say, bring back the "Fiery Irishman" John Brophy to coach this team. He is a hockey coaching icon here as well as having the second most career wins behind Scotty Bowman. Brophy just looked outta place behind the Wheeling Nailers bench when he went there because the Admirals jumped leauges. To me his IS the Admirals, and he probably will be until Yawney leads Norfolk to a Calder Cup.

~UJ

The Wolf Pack actually have an alternate that looks better than the usual "home" jersey (aka the Rangers alts knockoffs they've worn since their inception in 97-98)...it's basically the Rangers blue shirt with "WOLF*PACK" down the front...it actually looks good.

As for the Falcons, gotta agree...those stupid talons have to go...I like the new logo they introduced last year (beat that parakeet looking one they had), but they kept the stupid talons (a friend of mine said the talons looked like they were made out of yellow hockey tape stuck to the sleeves)

Another jersey that's actually somewhat nice (despite how much I despise the team) are the Bridgeport Sound Tigers...the new home jerseys are just the Isles 3rds done in blue and black. Hmmm...someone might wanna give Chucky Wang a call over in Nassau and let him know the farm team actually made those ghastly things look GOOD....

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Ah, guess we may have a schism here the likes of Rough Riders/Roughriders. Given the recent issues of the Norfolk Ads though (it was speculated last season that they would be the team whose affiliation got shipped off to Peoria,) it may be something that eventually setlles itself out. Or it could be just one of those quirks in sports. Either way, I've gotta agree that both earlier versions of the Norfolk Admirals' unis (the more recent ones and the Sabres-esque ones) were well-done and outclassed these trashy threads by miles.

As for the history of the Milwaukee Admirals, well, the team started play in 1970, and as the legend goes, its owner at that time also owned a successful appliance business in Milwaukee. The featured brand at his stores? You guessed it, Admiral. Not exactly a great historical claim, but still, it's survived 35 years and 3 leagues. Plus just thinking about the anchors on the jersey stripe gets me a little misty-eyed. Call it the Midwest-coast bias.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

i made an iowa stars concept a while back...

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=15329

would this pass your test?

Those top ones are mighty spiffy. Love the shoulder logo.

i made an iowa stars concept a while back...

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=15329

would this pass your test?

That Iowa jersey is nice. I like the patch (though a block "I" may be better)

The only thing that bugs me is that if the bottom striping is asymetrical, I feel like the two sleeves should not match, but maybe it's just me.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Lowell used to have original uniforms. When they were affiliated with the Islanders and later the Kings, the uniforms were black, red, purple and silver with asymmetrical dragon scales across on side...

low26_f_sm.jpglow26_b_sm.jpg

But when they switched to the Hurricanes and also Flames affiliate, the uniforms are pretty much the same as the Hurricanes with extra purple stripes at the sleeve and hemline.

P0011811.jpg

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Call it the Midwest-coast bias.

Also known as the "Third Coast" bias :P

As a lifelong Milwaukeean, seeing any home hockey team other than the Admirals on the ice would be very strange indeed...

QPR%20Sig.png

I agree that the Albany River Rats have potential, but they must change the uniforms. I worked for the original owner of the team as the team was being relocated the few miles from Troy, NY - then the team was known as the Capital District Islanders. I was privy to a few of the suggested logos, to gage what people would purchase. And let me tell you, if you think this logo and uni are not good, you should have seen some of the suggestions. AWFUL!!

The current, Dr. Walter Robb, is a very progressive thinker, and loves the sport. If someone would come up with a better logo and uniform combination, along with a good reason for the changes, he would take it under consideration.

I know this is a bunch of run-ons, but I'm working on a single conscious stream.

Roger

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

My junior team is in a league with the Albany Jr. River Rats and they use the same jerseys as the AHL's River Rats except they use the black alternate jersey as the road jersey instead of the red one. The use the real Devils style numbers and letters and everything, they look really sharp.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

Lowell used to have original uniforms. When they were affiliated with the Islanders and later the Kings, the uniforms were black, red, purple and silver with asymmetrical dragon scales across on side...

low26_f_sm.jpglow26_b_sm.jpg

But when they switched to the Hurricanes and also Flames affiliate, the uniforms are pretty much the same as the Hurricanes with extra purple stripes at the sleeve and hemline.

P0011811.jpg

I always liked the original LockMonsters jerseys...thought the way it was designed was great...

Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about their current jerseys...the Canes jersey is OK on it's own, but the addition of the purple stripe...um, no.

To me, I always thought the dominant color for the LockMonsters was purple, not red. The logo on a red jersey looks woefully out of place and kinda clashes bigtime...

They need to bring the old jerseys back, IMO.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Well, smoke 'em if you got 'em, I guess.

But won't people be up in arms about a team name that's a promotion for a cigarette brand? Someone fill me in here on the history of the Marlies' name.

The division the Lock Monsters play in is pretty limited with the dark colored jerseys of the teams.

Hartford - Navy Blue or Medium Blue

Providence - Black

Springfield - Black

Portland - Red or Black

Worcester - Navy Blue

Manchester - Purple

Lowell - Red

Lowell's original black jerseys were pretty cool, but now they would just get mixed in with the other 3 teams that wear black.

Purple is a very dominant color in Lowell's scheme, but there is a lot of red in it as well. Since Manchester entered the league, they have been a very successful team, and they've earned the right to wear purple over Lowell.

Lowell should wear a version similar to the original style with more emphasis on the red. Red and black tie in well to Carolina and Calgary, but a red jersey with the scales might stand out better in the crowd than the Hurricanes knockoffs.

Unfortunately, when the Islanders left for Bridgeport, they took their unique numbering and lettering with them, so now Lowell just mimics the Hurricanes letters and numbers.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Well, I don't know much about the history or what league they played in.

The article makes it seem like they are borrowing the name of another franchise as a nod to some past history.

I'm sure its not named after the rich, smooth Phillip Morris product, but instead the Duke of..........

Thats all I got.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Archived