Taking numbers off

pcgd

Hey all,

A bunch of places around here have Renteria Authentics for half off. Obvously, I don't want edgar's jersey now. But to get an authentic for 150 or so might be worth the effort of taking the numbers off and getting new ones put on.

So, its a baseball authentic, white. Does the stitching leave marks? Would i have to remove the entire nameplate or just the name?

Any information would be much appreciated.

(It also has a world series patch, but the same question applies to that as well. If they won, I'd leave it, but as you know...they didn't)

I know I've seen authentics for less than $150 before, I think as low as $99, maybe the prices all got jacked up this season...

I don't know if the Cards use a nameplate or stitch the letters right onto the jersey. If it does have a nameplate, it would be much easier to remove the nameplate, as each layer of the lettering (outline and fill) is stitched right through to the backside of the nameplate, then the nameplate is sewn on. Look at the inside of a customized authentic jersey if get the chance...you will see all the layers of stitching to put the team name and numbers on it.

My guess is that you will notice if the nameplate has been removed. It's definitely that way on hockey jerseys, and I've seen it on other baseball jerseys.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I'm not a seamstress (nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night), but I would expect that a high-quality (authentic) jersey would not show stiching holes if you were able to snip the stitching off. Just my guess - good luck with it.

Oh, and Happy B-day!

EDIT - I'd defer to what jpslapshot22 posted, since he's actually seen this, and I'm only speculating

It's where I sit.

i'm pretty sure the Cards don't use nameplates, meaning pc would have to remove RENETERIA one letter at a time.

just get a seam ripper at target or walmart or wherever, those are cheap. it'll take a while but it'll do the job.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

From my limited experience.......

I removed the #30 and CAREY from an ole Caps jersey of mine.......the numbers were not only sewn on, but glued REALLY good as well.

Are you looking to ditch JUST the name or all of it?

I ended up destroying that Caps jersey and using it as one to play in since it was all torn up.

Also, not knowing whether the cards do or do not use nameplates....I can't help you there.

But IF it does have a nameplate you're golden. Thats what nameplates are for in the first place is to quickly remove names and reuse the jersey. Just get a new nameplate/name sewn on over where the old one was.

Also, for a while, I think Starter hockey replicas were coming with nameplates in a little plastic baggie attached to the tag. I got a Flyers one like that. Awfully nice of them I thought.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Also, not knowing whether the cards do or do not use nameplates....I can't help you there.

Looks like they use nameplates.

2004 NLCS: Astros v Cardinals Game 7 (Hit refresh if the image doesn't show up the first time)

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Yeah, I was just gonna say they do have them.

I don't WANT the 3 or the name, but I want an authentic jersey. (Pujols or custom prefered but I'm looking for a bargin here!) Anyway, looks like I just should spend the extra 50 and get a authentic blank and have names/numbers put on. Just to be safe. 150 bucks is alot for me to experiement with.

I took the name and numbers off a hockey sweater once, and though there weren't big holes where the stitching was, you could make out lines where they had been sewn on. Also, there was a bit of adhesive on the back of the numbers, but I don't remember if that marred the fabric or not.

I had a Diamondbacks BP jersey customized, but the company used the wrong colors for the numerals -- the alternate jersey color scheme instead of the BP scheme. I sent it back and they graciously repaired it. I was concerned that the jersey might be damaged by having the numbers removed, but it came out fine. I bet if you wanted to have it "re-customized" with a different name/number, they could do that for you.

http://www.exclusivepro.com

I have had to replace numbers on mistake jerseys I have produced.. The stitching damage is minor however slightly visible unless using the same numbers(colors are wrong). But since the numbers will be different or none at all, you might see the tiniest holes. Also, before the numbers and lettering are stitched, they are heat pressed with adhesive(very strong adhesive at that) to tack them down before surging them. We usually carefully remove the stitching, then heat press again to re-heat the adhesive. Then, while still hot, peel the numbers off. There will still be a little adhesive left in the fibers so we use another material that comes from the manufacture of the materials (tackle twill, NX, AT Satin, FIT, all sports using cloth/textile lettering) to remove the adhesive on a second pressing with a textured teflon sheet. All Pro Team Sports uniform manufactures get the raw materials for lettering from the same source (lextra, 3M). They import from our distributor here in Japan. Any jersey shop producing jerseys should have the materials neccessary to remove adhesive. Its not the stitching thats difficult, its definitely the glue. A hand Iron may work, but I am not 100%

Archived