Upset!

Brass

I personally didn't see you say it was a "incredibly weak" big ten earlier in the year.  But had I, i would have debated you.

I agree, ACC is better htan the Big Ten.  I said that before.  Its much better.  Its not a question.  I just noticed the records were similar in the top 8.  I thought I mentioned that but I looked back and it looked like I did say that I thought the top 8 could hang.  However, I just was defending the fact that the big ten is not "incredibly weak."  If it was "incredibly weak" they'd have less than 3 teams ranked in the top 25.

But to say that Illinois would lose all those games, you have no idea that would happen.  When they did play one of the "mighty ACC giants" they had reserves in at the end of the game.  Wake Forest wasn't missing anyone and Chris Paul played his regular on one night off the next.  Sure it was at Illinois, but noplace in the country is worth a 30+ point swing.  Not Cameron, Not Michigan State, not the Dean Dome, and definatly not the Assembly hall.

In fact, Illinois has played against those top ACC teams extremely well over the last few years.  Beating Duke a few times and the times they lost, only by a couple.  And losing to UNC in Greensburo by 7 last year with a much weaker team than this  year.  (I won't count when Illinois pounded them under Matt Doretty). Those teams were no where near the team Illinois is this year.  Yes, its not this year, but this year Illinois did destroy Wake Forest.

Edit: I'm leaving in my stupidity.  Illinois beat duke before 2000.  It seemed like it was after that.  Always remember...I'm an idiot.

And Yellowcard sucks! :)

:lol::lol::lol:

I do think Illinois would've lost about three games in an ACC schedule because no matter how good you are, it's impossible to go undefeated in the ACC. Surely you can't disagree that the Tarheels are far more battle tested as there's nothing harder than to go to Cameron Indoor and play while wearing Tarheel blue.

Surely, it was a hypebole for myself to say that the Big Ten is 'incredibly weak' -- although it IS a weak conference. With the exception of Illinois beating Wake Forest -- the Big Ten got absolutely embarassed in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.

And as far as where the Illinois/Wake Forest game was played -- I agree that no place is worth a 30+ point swing, but surely you can't disagree that it's easier to recover from a slow start at your home arena than it is on the road -- UNC/Duke from yesterday is an example. I didn't watch the game, so I can't say what really happened in that one.

UNC is the most talented team in the country, bottomline.

I don't say these things because I hate Illinois. I'm unbiased here, I'm not a UNC Die-Hard, I'm a UConn fan.

Oh, and I'll forgive your typo about Yellowcard sucking. I understand that you're chubby fingers may have missed the mark and typed 'sucks' instead of 'rocks' :P

IUe6Hvh.png

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Teams don't win on talent alone.

That's why Illinois is the #1 team in the nation.

What else do they need? Heart and determination? 11-0 run to come back from 9 down with 3 minutes left to beat their biggest rivals. A good coach? Roy Williams.

IUe6Hvh.png

I'm not gonna deny UNC having the any of the right stuff, I just think that the chemistry the Illini has puts them ahead of UNC. That's certainly not to say UNC doesn't have it though.

Let's be honest though...nobody could predict without a doubt who would win a game between the two...I think the only gurantee anyone would be willing to make is that it could go either, and that it would probably be close.

I'm not gonna deny UNC having the any of the right stuff, I just think that the chemistry the Illini has puts them ahead of UNC. That's certainly not to say UNC doesn't have it though.

Let's be honest though...nobody could predict without a doubt who would win a game between the two...I think the only gurantee anyone would be willing to make is that it could go either, and that it would probably be close.

and to me...the best game of the year.

and to me...the best game of the year.

Agreed. With both of you. Although it would have to be an amazing game to beat that Duke/UNC game on Sunday. I think it could most certainly happen.

And look, guys, I don't want to make it seem like I think Illinois isn't a great team with a good shot at becoming National Champions. I think Illinois is a very good team, and that me saying that UNC is atleast as good as them, is no diss to Illinois but merely saying how highly I think of this UNC team.

IUe6Hvh.png

any of you Illini fans willing to make a friendly wager? I'd bet either of you choice of my avatar that Illinois doesnt make it to the national title game. If i win, I get to chose your avatar for a selected period of time. Any takers? I relize my chances of success are far better mathmatically than yours, but whats a little competition amongst board members? :D

oubrutus.jpg

2qi7psy.gif

when you're replacing an old Carr, you need more than Les Miles

any of you Illini fans willing to make a friendly wager? I'd bet either of you choice of my avatar that Illinois doesnt make it to the national title game. If i win, I get to chose your avatar for a selected period of time. Any takers? I relize my chances of success are far better mathmatically than yours, but whats a little competition amongst board members? :D

I'm definatley willing to make a wager, but that might be a little too far too me.

My avatar has been something similar to what I have now since before this version of this board started, so it's not a completely meaningless thing.

I'll think about it.

"For what it's worth, the Illini are still #1 in both polls this week."

Ya-hoop-de-doo.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

What about a wager that Illinois goes at least as far as UNC and vice versa?

I'm totally up for that, and what will be the perameters of the bet? I'm up for pretty much anything. Maybe we could go ECW and the loser has to leave the board...forever :P

oubrutus.jpg

2qi7psy.gif

when you're replacing an old Carr, you need more than Les Miles

What about a wager that Illinois goes at least as far as UNC and vice versa?

I'm totally up for that, and what will be the perameters of the bet? I'm up for pretty much anything. Maybe we could go ECW and the loser has to leave the board...forever :P

How about the loser has to change his avatar, location, and sig to something (within reason--maybe actually set something) specified/designed by the winner?

I'd say they have to start using it as soon as the team they are betting on is eliminated and continue using it until a week after the winner's team is eliminated (or wins it all).

ITE88, PCGD? You guys want in on this? ITE and Brownie can come up with something for UNC and PCGD and I for Illinois.

We can decide whether or not the avatar, sig, location, need to concern the teams or not later.

Archived