Toronto AHL.......Marlboros?

Ez Street

I second that, James.

As for a team name, I still wish it'd be St.Pats or Arenas.

That way, they'd be the only AHL team to have won a Stanley Cup!

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

The Toronto Marlboros are a level 'AAA' hockey team from ages 8-18, and that is thier excat logo on the puck. They are also called the Marlies...

http://www.torontomarlboros.com/

There is an OHL and OHA logo on their site, wouldn't be surprised if they became the farm team for the Maple Leafs.

They were also in the OHL for like 60 years (the first sporting event I ever attended was the last game ever for the Toronto Marlboros, a 12-3 loss in Cornwall against the Cornwall Royals).

I would be pleased with this name, or Arenas (Coliseums? they don't play in an "Arena"), or St. Pats.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

The Toronto Marlboros are a level 'AAA' hockey team from ages 8-18, and that is thier excat logo on the puck. They are also called the Marlies...

http://www.torontomarlboros.com/

There is an OHL and OHA logo on their site, wouldn't be surprised if they became the farm team for the Maple Leafs.

They were also in the OHL for like 60 years (the first sporting event I ever attended was the last game ever for the Toronto Marlboros, a 12-3 loss in Cornwall against the Cornwall Royals).

I would be pleased with this name, or Arenas (Coliseums? they don't play in an "Arena"), or St. Pats.

There is someone older than me outsmarting me........... ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted the AHL a few weeks ago, he simply said that Toronto has not yet announced its name and Calgary had not yet announced plans for next year. This was before the announcement that Hershey would break apart from Colorado.

Signature intentionally left blank

From Today's Toronto Star:

Marlies moniker recycled

Leafs' AHL club gets historic name

Ricoh new home for farm team

PAUL HUNTER

SPORTS REPORTER

The Maple Leafs will reach into its storied past when the club crowns Toronto's new American Hockey League club the Marlies at a press conference today.

The Marlies will play out of the Ricoh Coliseum beginning in the fall and are the transplanted St. John's Maple Leafs. The minor-league team is leaving the Newfoundland capital after 14 seasons.

The moniker Marlies, or Marlboroughs, dates back to the early 1900s with the formation of the Toronto Marlborough Athletic Club, a team named after a long line of English noblemen.

Other names under consideration for the Leafs' top farm team included Buds, Baby Leafs and St. Pats. The name Marlies is mostly remembered for the major Junior A hockey team that played out of Maple Leaf Gardens until they were moved in 1989.

Up until the NHL began the entry draft in 1967, the Leafs had used the Marlborough organization as one of its feeder systems. Players could be groomed, playing for the Marlies, moving on until they played major junior hockey.

The Marlies have always worn a very similar uniform to the Leafs, with a crown set on a blue maple leaf as a logo.

The old Marlie junior club once regularly sold out the Gardens. But it was bleeding money, losing about $500,000 a year and averaging 1,146 fans a game, when owner Harold Ballard sold it to two Hamilton businessmen in 1989.

But before he died in 1990, Ballard gave permission for the system of minor-league players to continue using the name Marlies.

Ballard had a grandson playing in that organization. It remains a historic name in today's GTHL.

I saw, I came, I left.

I wish the team was called the MARLBOROS. What's with this "Marlies" crap? That would be like officially calling the CFL team the Toronto ARGOS when they are called the ARGONAUTS. If it's a shortened name the fans use fine. But when it's the offical name then it's a disspointment.

St. pats would have been cool as well, since that was the Leafs original name.

The Marlies have always worn a very similar uniform to the Leafs, with a crown set on a blue maple leaf as a logo.

Thier first uniforms featured a lion as their logo. This was back in the early 1900's when they actually challenged for the Stanley Cup one year.

Archived