Maple Leafs Sports to look into MLS

Puckguy14

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/news_story.asp?id=117572

Or for those who don't feel like using their mouse clicks... :P

Report: MLSE looking into MLS soccer

TSN.ca Staff with Toronto Star files

3/8/2005

With NHL hockey and NBA basketball already in the fold, Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment is considering a move to the pitch.

MLSE president and CEO confirmed to The Toronto Star Tuesday that the ownership group has spoken to Major League Soccer about the a possible expansion franchise for 2007.

"We've done a fair amount of work on this," Peddie told The Star. "Enough that we're going to keep looking at it."

Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, which owns the Toronto Maple Leafs, Toronto Raptors and the Air Canada Centre, is considered the one of the most profitable sports and entertainment properties in North America.

The biggest shareholder of MLSE is the Toronto Teachers' Pension Union with 58 percent, followed by Bell Globemedia with 15 percent and TD Capital with 14 percent.

Files from The Toronto Star were used for this report.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Please... the Lynx have been on life-support since the minute the franchise was launched. They're a virtual non-entity on the Toronto sports scene.

MLSE and Major League Soccer have been having discussions about this for at least a month. Commissioner Garber mentioned Toronto as the front-runner for 2007 expansion at a recent press conference in Foxboro, Massachusetts, going so far as to say that a Toronto MLS franchise's domestic players would be Canadians (as opposed to the US-based MLS squads who count American players as their domestics).

soccer in Canada? nah, it'll never work :P j/k

I wonder whether they'd use the old Metros name or go in a different direction (I bet on the latter, with the Metrostars being around).

how bout Maple Leaf FC? :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I wonder whether they'd use the old Metros name or go in a different direction (I bet on the latter, with the Metrostars being around).

I actually like the name Maple Leaf FC :)

I saw, I came, I left.

Was it York or the U of T where they're going to build that new all-purpose stadium, where I imagine this MLS team would play?

Of course, they could take a page out of the history of just about every Toronto team's book and play their first season at the SkyDo... I mean, the Rogers Centre.

So long as they have a maple leaf somewhere in their logo and don't try to demphasize their Canadian-ness, a la our only baseball team left.

Grr...

Still, looking forward to The Toronto Arsenal (rofl....Real was already taken)

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Was it York or the U of T where they're going to build that new all-purpose stadium, where I imagine this MLS team would play?

Of course, they could take a page out of the history of just about every Toronto team's book and play their first season at the SkyDo... I mean, the Rogers Centre.

It was originally U of T, but now the stadium's set to built in Dork..... I mean York.... :D There are other names to consider: Toronto Rovers, Toronto Hotspur, AC Toronto, Hearts of Toronto.... and I'm still consideirng the Toronto Tacos :lol:

I saw, I came, I left.

Didn't the Toronto Blizzards win the last NASL championship? :therock:

That said, I'm still sad Bart Wolstein died. He was looking into the plausibility of an Akron or Cleveland MLS team.

That said, Toronto sounds like a good spot for a team, even though the Lynx apparently don't do well, and the NPSL was a joke. Hopefully major league sports can work there.

"Still, looking forward to The Toronto Arsenal."

Hey, that was my name for Philadelphia!

After all, I like Blizzard-Croatia or Metro Toronto SC.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

OK, this is quite possibly the one sport I will never wind up watching.

Too European, plus I had a particularly nasty experience with it when I was a kid.

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

The Lynx are horribly run and I bet if you ask 10 people in Toronto 9.5 havent even heard of them. They have potential almost half of the Canadian National Team played for the lynx at one time or another, but the front office doesnt know how to keep the players. Almost the whole Lynx roster is currently under trial with the Impact.

1zqy8ok.gif

"Didn't the Toronto Blizzards win the last NASL championship?"

No, they lost a best-of-three series to the Chicago Sting in the last NASL game ever played in 1984.

My source is listed here.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Archived