MLL to HDC?

Brian in Boston

Today's Los Angeles Times is reporting that Major League Lacrosse's Western expansion plans call for a team based at the Home Depot Center by next season.

Given that Major League Soccer's Los Angeles Galaxy and CD Chivas USA already call the HDC home for sixteen games each, a Major League Lacrosse franchise is going to be hard-pressed to procure quality dates at the facility. Additionally, I wonder how the soccer teams are going to feel about sharing the facility with a lacrosse team?

I've thought that Chivas USA should have been based in San Diego because it would be closer to Mexico at Qualcomm.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Today's Los Angeles Times is reporting that Major League Lacrosse's Western expansion plans call for a team based at the Home Depot Center by next season.

Given that Major League Soccer's Los Angeles Galaxy and CD Chivas USA already call the HDC home for sixteen games each, a Major League Lacrosse franchise is going to be hard-pressed to procure quality dates at the facility. Additionally, I wonder how the soccer teams are going to feel about sharing the facility with a lacrosse team?

16 games each but only 28 games total as they play each other 4 times.

I think they messed up with scheduling as far as the HDC goes. Now I don't know all the logistics and such but it seems if you have two teams sharing a stadium, you might want to alternate the weekends they are home instead of letting it sit dormant one weekend then having a Sat/Sun weekend at home the next. Just a thought. I'm more prone to go to one game a week than 2 on the same weekend after not seeing either team for a week and half or so.

Gillette Stadium hosts many doubleheader soccer matches each season, I don't see the big deal in Home Depot Center does the same thing. With the exception of Luxury Suite availability (especially if different customers get the box depending on the home team), my guess is that fans get to see both games instead of doing a day-night thing like in baseball.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Actually, this discussion is moot.

I just cross-referenced the official 2005 MLS schedule with the tentative schedules I had seen in the local media earlier this year. In point of fact, there are no Galaxy-and-Chivas doubleheaders on the schedule now posted on the MLS website.

Well then lets get back on topic then, shall we?

I know the MLL played some games out west last year(Denver, Seattle)

What other cities do you think the MLL should go to?

500TH POST :woot:

Signature intentionally left blank

Well, the talk is of Major League Lacrosse establishing a Western Division of at least four teams.

If the host sites for MLL's "Wild West Tour" events are any indication, I'd say that Seattle is a front-runner for a team (Qwest Field will host its second MLL game in 2005), with Denver (Invesco Field at Mile High hosted a game in 2004) also being a strong possibility to land a franchise. Assuming that the Los Angeles Times story is to be believed, a third team will be based in the Los Angeles market.

The remaining Western markets that MLL has said it is considering are:

Austin, Texas

Dallas, Texas

Phoenix or Tuscon, Arizona

Portland, Oregon

San Diego, California

San Francisco or San Jose, California

If I were placing bets, I'd say that the fourth team would end up going to either a Bay Area location or Phoenix.

If I were placing bets, I'd say that the fourth team would end up going to either a Bay Area location or Phoenix.

the only reason why I wouldnt put MLL teams in either Phoenix or the Bay Area, due to the fact that the NLL (the indoor lacrosse league) has franchises in both of those cities.

What difference does that make? The NLL has franchises in Philadelphia and Denver, as well. One city is the site of a current MLL team and the other city is the site of a potential Western expansion team. If anything, the fact that a market supports the indoor game may well be an indication of its willingness to also support the outdoor variety.

It's official. Major League Lacrosse Commissioner David Gross has announced that Anschutz Entertainment Group has procured the operating rights for an MLL expansion franchise at the Home Depot Center. The team will begin play as part of the league's Western Division in May of 2006.

The Western Division will initially consist of four teams, with expansion to a six-team alignment planned for a subsequent season.

An announcement regarding a second Western expansion team will be made within the next few weeks.

Archived