FC Dallas Kits...

ColeJ

and change the MLS Cup from a regular american playoff system, and model it after the FA Cup. the premier league champions don't necessarily win the FA Cup, and the FA Cup winning team may not even be in the top flight.

They have the U.S. Open Cup which is similar to the FA Cup. Everyone from top amatuer clubs to the MLS teams play for it. But I do agree on the relegation system. Give folks something to play for in the lower divisions, a chance to make even more money by moving up to MLS from USL One(A-League). I like that in europe finishing last is punished by moving down a notch. Actually, our team here moved down a division due to a poor record. more by our choice, we're breaking in almost half of our team this season, but it worked well for us. We went from 2-3-5 to currently 3-1-0(W-T-L).

its no longer the A League

its now the USL first division

also, the AL Galazy were A-ok W/ Chivas USA forming

I agree with Cole about certain things, but I do disagree with parts. There's no need to fully Europeanize MLS. They changes they've made since their inception--getting rid of the breakaway shootout (they weren't even true penalties), running the clock up instead of down--have been smart changes to make the game play fit in with the rest of FIFA.

However, there are realities of North American culture and sporting traditions that cannot go without consideration. Frankly, top-flight leagues in any sport in the US (and Canada, to a lesser extent) have a high standard of revenue they need to operate, meaning there are standards for stadiums and market sizes that have to be taken into account. A relegation/promotion system sounds like an interesting idea, but within those constructs--for example--the Minnesota Thunder have generally been one of the top A-League (now USL First Division) teams, but if they were to be promoted, would MLS really play at a high school football "stadium" in St. Paul?

Desipte its long, rich history throughout the world, big-time soccer in the US is still relatively young, and has had major stumbles over the years. It's also, I hate to say it, a fringe sport here--there's not the crazed fan base here as there is in Europe.

So, overall, I guess I'd say to give MLS a chance to grow on its own and create its own traditions, rather than having to conform to the traditions of other places.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Yeah, eventhough if MLS were to do this, it would appeal to a European market, yet to an American market, who strives on victories, not draws. Relegation I don't think would work in the USA, you will be breaking the standard in USA Sport, which I think is a no no. Of course, make your league to FIFA standards, or as much as possible, as this will help out your National Team. As well as that, I beleive that it is the MLS who owns the players (Correct me if I am wrong), so they decide if they want to let a player, play in Europe, because they denied Southampton a MLS player a few months ago, this also does not help your national team, because premier football is in Europe, not the USA, and it wont be for a very long time, or even never.

signature.png

... give MLS a chance to grow on its own and create its own traditions, rather than having to conform to the traditions of other places.

BINGO!

As long as MLS conforms to international rules in terms of on-field play, I see no reason whatsoever for the league to transparently mimic "traditional" European/Central-and-South American team identities.

As long as top graphic designers create well-rendered logos to support the identity packages, I'd much rather see the likes of the Seattle Sasquatch, Oklahoma City Drillers, Houston Apollos and Philadelphia Force take the field in MLS than a bunch of Euro-posing, "internationalized" clubs with ridiculous "wannabe" names like Real Salt Lake and FC Dallas. What's next? Chicago Saint Germain? Borussia Columbus? Inter Colorado? Atletico Kansas City? Boca MetroStars? It's idiotic.

The so-called "traditional international" names are the tradition elsewhere. They are not our tradition in the United States and Canada. Given that MLS is our top-tier professional soccer league, leave the area of identity development to our traditions.

That said, I like the "Dallas Toros" :P new kit... both home and away.

... give MLS a chance to grow on its own and create its own traditions, rather than having to conform to the traditions of other places.

BINGO!

As long as MLS conforms to international rules in terms of on-field play, I see no reason whatsoever for the league to transparently mimic "traditional" European/Central-and-South American team identities.

As long as top graphic designers create well-rendered logos to support the identity packages, I'd much rather see the likes of the Seattle Sasquatch, Oklahoma City Drillers, Houston Apollos and Philadelphia Force take the field in MLS than a bunch of Euro-posing, "internationalized" clubs with ridiculous "wannabe" names like Real Salt Lake and FC Dallas. What's next? Chicago Saint Germain? Borussia Columbus? Inter Colorado? Atletico Kansas City? Boca MetroStars? It's idiotic.

The so-called "traditional international" names are the tradition elsewhere. They are not our tradition in the United States and Canada. Given that MLS is our top-tier professional soccer league, leave the area of identity development to our traditions.

That said, I like the "Dallas Toros" :P new kit... both home and away.

What youre saying is right, but names like you have and the ones the MLS started with are just terrible! Just get some good names, but throw in some euro too, cause it is a European game and were not going to reinvent it.

And since they were mentioned, I wish Columbus would wear their yellow jerseys as their primary jerseys.

oh god no. i'm all for not having a white jersey if you can get away with it, but my Crew can't. they looked a hell of a lot better 10 years ago, and I'll keep saying that til they go back to the original duds.

I'll tell ya what, I've said it again and I'll say it before, let MLS make its own tradition, don't force Europe's traditions on it. Euro basketball teams don't go by Barcelona Gatos, Paris Racers or Zagreb Warriors, they go by names similar to their soccer brethren (IIRC Real Madrid and FC Barcelona own hoops teams who wear uniforms exactly like their soccer brethren, except without sleeves-all white for Real, blue and red stripes for Barca). They made their own basketball tradition, let MLS make its own tradition here. the Euro-style name in moderation is okay by me, but I don't want it to become the norm. It would be like starting a college, taking on a Notre Dame-like uniform and trying to pass yourself off as a school with an ivy-covered tradition while the recruits secretly laugh at you for trying to BS them.

and another thing, although I agree MLS isn't on the level of the top European leagues, it's a major factor in the US national team's rise, with the other factor being the grassroots movement that's been going on for the last couple decades. put it this way, no MLS and no grassroots movement=the US would still have a tough time against Canada, and continually get our heads kicked in against Mexico.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Yeah, they have totally messed things up with the Salt Lake team, that is just pathetic.

signature.png

they looked a hell of a lot better 10 years ago, and I'll keep saying that til they go back to the original duds.

I thought they'd always had yellow jerseys...?

The yellow and black is a great look for them, especially when the yellow is the main colour.

EDIT--Certainly you can't mean these...

mcbrid89.JPG

POTD 2013-08-22

that one was originally a third jersey. the original ones are below...

some fans

2a.jpg

Brian McBride, original road

clb0000mcbride.jpg

for teh heck of it, our other alternate from before the current crap

mcbride2.jpg

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

It is worth pointing out though that many Japanese baseball teams (Dragons-Dodgers, Giants, Tigers, Carp-Reds, etc.) adopted American names and looks, which in my book is not really apeing american traditions so much as paying homage to where the sport came from.

That being said, Real Salt Lake bothers me. At least name them Royal Salt Lake, whatevs, it's more important that the league grow in attendance and ratings than the team names be 100% okey-dokey.

mcbride2.jpg

That alternate is horrible. The black jersey wasn't bad, but the white just looks goofy. I only vaguely remember any of those. I also hate that font for the numbers, much like I hate it for the Blue Jackets.

For the Crew, it seems like the less white they use, the better off they are.

POTD 2013-08-22

I like that the Crew son't have a white kit. But if they ever decided to get one, I'd say go back to the origionals. I didn't mind the white three stripes unis except they put the numbers on another swatch of fabric rather than straight to the jersey. It looks goofy as the picture shows.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

wow. this thread has turned into a really good debate. i enjoyed reading it.

and just to clarify my stance, ReAL Salt Lake is the worst team name i've ever seen in my life.

but FC Dallas is great, in my eyes... and i'm not a biased fan, because, as i said, i'm not an MLS fan... in fact, i hated the red and olive green of the dallas burn.

I think Real Salt Lake is cool. And while I don't think that means we need to necessarily internationalize the teams anymore, I think it makes sense for MLS soccer cred around the world to conform to worldwide standards, if we want the league to truly be the best. I think that the name changes aren't a bad way of doing that.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Archived