Blue ice. Interesting. But read on...

OMMF

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050310/1040241.asp

Quinn said the NHL is eager to see how the blue ice works. The Sabres will solicit the views of players, fans, league officials and television experts.

If the blue ice becomes the norm, Quinn could see other effects, including changing uniform colors.

"It's a different palette," he said. "You're using a blue palette instead of a white palette. It may mean a return to more colorful jerseys."

Conceivably, that could mean the end of the Sabres current black jerseys in a couple years. Quinn said many people like the team's traditional blue-and-gold jerseys, but they would have to be modernized, possibly to become the team's third jersey.

Even if the NHL resumes play next fall, Quinn stressed that no uniform change would be done in time for next year.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I can understand experimenting with the ice colour. I don't like it, but fine.

BUT ORANGE LINES AND A BLUE CENTER LINE?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!

I'm sorry, my knee jerked. It's tradition. Center red line, blue zone lines. Long standing traditions.

ORANGE?!

Ugh.

:evil:

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

The blue ice ain't all that bad but I'm having a hard time with the reasoning behind orange "blue lines". I'm completely in the corner of the traditional blue and red that's been in use for a century.

But IF -- and that's a Godzilla-sized if -- they're going to abandon the red/blue tradition, why not let teams paint the lines in the team's color scheme?

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

The blue ice ain't all that bad but I'm having a hard time with the reasoning behind orange "blue lines". I'm completely in the corner of the traditional blue and red that's been in use for a century.

I guess if you're going to have blue ice, then orange is probably the most complimentary colour to use for the lines. But yeah, I'm still in the traditional-blue-and-red-lines camp.

However, if this gets the Sabres to switch back to blue-and-gold jerseys of any kind, I'm all for it.

BTW, big ups to OMMF for posting this ... you've inspired me to write a column on this and the other AHL rule changes for this week's paper. In the immortal words of Puddy, "High five!"

Didn't the Isles have blue ice w/ white creases in the early 80s?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

BTW, big ups to OMMF for posting this ... you've inspired me to write a column on this and the other AHL rule changes for this week's paper. In the immortal words of Puddy, "High five!"

On the flip side.

In that picture, the orange looks a lot like the color used at the bottom of the boards.

I guess yellow has a lot more conterest to the color of the puck and players skates than blue does -- so that may have something to do with.

I prefer red and blue -- and think changing up the colors will do nothing to bring fans back. After the mess they've gotten themselves into -- do they really expect changing up some colors to do anything to bring fans back? Especially when it's going against tradition.

IUe6Hvh.png

Remember the EA Sports NHL games from the early 90s? I distinctly remember NHL 93 had blue ice, or close to it. It was easier on the eyes...

Oh, and the Sabres should return to their old unis.

Ah yes I have NHLPA 93 for SNES. Lots of fun.

nhlpa93_01.jpg

I saw, I came, I left.

After the mess they've gotten themselves into -- do they really expect changing up some colors to do anything to bring fans back?  Especially when it's going against tradition.

Too right. After baseball went on strike, aluminum bats and orange balls wouldn't have saved them, and "Turn Ahead the Clock" nights didn't help. But when McGwire, Sosa, Griffey, Vaughn and Bonds started socking dingers like they was going out of style, that's what got the fans back.

Hockey will need something like that, like a tight points race where players are challenging Gretzky's record, to pique fans' interest once again. Some of these other rule changes they are toying with in the AHL may eventually lead to that in five or 10 years, but blue ice is not the solution.

BTW, that's post #200 for me. :woot:

Too right. After baseball went on strike, aluminum bats and orange balls wouldn't have saved them, and "Turn Ahead the Clock" nights didn't help. But when McGwire, Sosa, Griffey, Vaughn and Bonds started socking dingers like they was going out of style, that's what got the fans back.

Are you suggesting that hockey players start taking steroids in massive doses? :D

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

I could understand the pink and green Valentines and St.Patricks day colored ice promotions, but having blue ice is just stupid. Just keep the ice white or dont color the ice at all and have the concrete floor of the arena show through the ice!

Signature intentionally left blank

But when McGwire, Sosa, Griffey, Vaughn and Bonds started socking dingers like they was going out of style, that's what got the fans back.

Greg or Mo, neither were responsible for getting me to the ballpark. ^_^

But when McGwire, Sosa, Griffey, Vaughn and Bonds started socking dingers like they was going out of style, that's what got the fans back.

True dat. I just remember that the little charts in the newspaper used to keep track of Greg Vaughn for a while during that season too. Pretty soon, though, he dropped off. :)

i think he was referring to Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn. :D

qvAvG.jpg

i think he was referring to Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn. :D

"Here's the first pitch ..... just a bit outside...."

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived