Colors and TV?

nsentv

I was thinking about this, having just rented the past two NBA Finals DVDs.

The 2003 NBA Finals got a 6.5 rating, while the 2004 NBA Finals got a 11.6 rating.

Now, of course, there were a lot of reasons for this (no Lakers in 2003, the first year of a TV deal in 2003, bad TV COVERAGE in 2003, bad playoff schedule in 2003, and... well, the list goes on) but I think one of the biggest reasons is this:

Drab colors.

In '03 it was the Spurs (black and gray) versus the Nets (dull navy and gray). The courts weren't too bright, and the lighting was way too dull as well (although that works for the SBC Center).

In '04, it was the Lakers (purple and gold) versus the Pistons (blue and red). The lighting was good and the courts were colorful (the Lakers' home floor gold is perfect for the NBA Finals).

In baseball and football, this doesn't matter. For one thing, both are outdoor sports, and all the fields are green. Also, it's so traditional to wear gray in baseball that people are used to it, and nothing can possibly make football unpopular.

But in the NBA, a sport that the media goes out of its way to put down, ANYTHING can affect ratings--especially teams with colors that illicit yawns.

Anyone agree with me on this?

I'd probably bank the ratings increase on the Lakers being in there. Spurs might bring the casuals, but the Nets don't have nearly the national following as the Lakers.

also add detroit which is a very large market, you could say that the nets are in the new york metro area, but most people in the city probably root for the knicks.

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

I'd probably bank the ratings increase on the Lakers being in there. Spurs might bring the casuals, but the Nets don't have nearly the national following as the Lakers.

Try the Nets have ZERO following. They suffer from the same thing the Devils suffer from. In the shadows of the big city.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

I always try to catch the first televised game of a team that has changed it's unis significantly...

(Can't always do it--but I try)

That's also why I like watching the NHL draft--to see any new unis...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

when colour TV came to Oz in 1975 or about then, several AFL teams changed their colours to accomodate colour TV better for example, Melbourne changed the Navy Blue to Royal Blue and Red; and Fitzroy went from Maroon, Navy & Gold to Red, Royal and Yellow.....

Melbourne reverted to their Navy Blue and red in the late 80's

whne i watch the NBA and College Basketball, the stadiums always seem dark, on TV, with the only lighting being on the court, the Aussie NBL is always really bright on TV except when they palyed a game in Singapore which wass being shown on ESPN and it was dark (even seemed like a NBA game)

how they affect ratings? no idea

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

The A's switched to Kelly Green and a bright yellow for COlor TV in the 60s and the boom of color baseball unis in the 70s was related to Color TV so this is not alway a good thing.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived