Alexa Toolbar

CC97

Due to security problems, I suggest people use firefox instead of IE. Of course, there are some sites that use proprietary MS programming. Still, I try to minimize my use of IE. Firefox is better at popup blocking and minimizes adware/spyware. MS is also slow about fixing the holes once discovered.

MS makes some good programs. IE is a good browser, but the flaws outweigh the advantages.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm confused, how could you fall back on the rankings when your posts have gone up over the past 2 years?

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

I'd ignore Alexa stats if I were you. My site had a 8.5 million user spike one day according to them and I still can't explain it.

I also switched to Firefox... I started out on Netscape and went kicking and screaming to IE, but ultimately had no choice. Then my IE browser was hijacked and a friend told me about Firefox. I switched and never looked back... and I'm not missing anything but pop-up ads I don't want to see anyway. I believe in a simpler Internet.

I've been using IE since the dawn of Al Gore. :D But I heard of Firefox and Mozilla. Maybe I oughta give them a try.

Use Yahoo toolbar. Never had any problems. Search engine, yellow pages. mail (if you have Yahoo email), Launch music and most importantly, fantasy sports!

I have firefox and IE both installed. While I appreciate the open-sourceness to firefox, the user experience is sub-par, many sites dont display right, and they take some tricks to program for on the web designer end.

As far as toolbars, the new beta Google toolbar is the JAM. You can search, image search, spell check, suto fill, and in the coolest feature in a LONG time, auto link.

Firefox people are being different just for the sake of being difficult.

There should be one browser. Not 50. Can you imagine how difficult it would be if there were 7 types of roads to drive on, like there are 7 types of browsers? Miserable.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

We're actually going to be rolling Firefox out as the default web browser here where I work (100+ employees) because we're tired of running around and cleaning up all the spyware that people wind up with thanks to their ignorant IE usage.

Sure, it's possible to browse safely with IE, plenty of people do it. But you wouldn't believe how many people here have browsers that look kind of like this:

full.jpg

And then they call me up and ask me things like, "I keep getting sent to this web page," and "Why do I get all of these popups all the time?" and "Why is my computer running so slowly?" Well, maybe if you didn't have 17 freaking spyware processes running currently...eesh.

I guess if you want to get technical, the reason some sites don't view peoperly in Firefox has to do with those pages not actually being coded to the HTML standard. But that's another argument. I use the "IEView" plug-in. Page doesn't view properly in Firefox? Right-click and open the exact same page in IE. I have to do that about once every few weeks.

Also...IE is so tightly integrated with Windows that any security hole in IE is also an open door right into the OS...not good when somebody can force an ActiveX control on you and then have full access to your system...

Besides, Firefox has a cooler logo, and that's what should matter around here. :)

full.jpg

And then they call me up and ask me things like, "I keep getting sent to this web page," and "Why do I get all of these popups all the time?" and "Why is my computer running so slowly?" Well, maybe if you didn't have 17 freaking spyware processes running currently...eesh.

*Wipes tears of joy*

:D

I guess I'm not the only tech support around here :P . I had a "client" last week coming in with her computer, saying it was slow, and she was having problems accessing the internet. Since this is an office laptop, they aren't supposed to install any software... Right! We have the authority to uninstall any software that isn't standard, so that's what I did. After removing some 20 softwares, I ended up running ad-aware 3 times to remove almost 400 spywares!!!!!! Needless to say I called her to inform her I had to reimage the laptop. The best part is that she says she never uses it to go on the internet...

I also echo all of Eric's comments about using Firefox instead of IE. Sure, pages are coded to work in IE, but they don't comply completely with the HTML standard of W3C...

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

I have been using Opera for the last couple of years along with IE and now Firefox. I do like it's platform of browsing multiple windows within the main window. Therefore, it leaves more room in the Windows toolbar. However, I do have a tough time watching video streams without the proper plug-ins and some pages do load differently.

I saw, I came, I left.

Does anyone use the $$$ Ad-Aware version where it blocks out SpyWare?

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

This thread went way off track, but that's cool it's still helping people.

I heard a WinXP update had a built in spyware remover -- anyone know about this?

It started off off-topic. Where did you expect it to go from there? <_<

I heard a WinXP update had a built in spyware remover -- anyone know about this?

One word: GRAVEYARD! ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

Harvey's

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Harvey's

Long live the grill!

Yes, I've been using a beta version and it works very well. Micro$oft bought a spyware application and just re-branded it.

You can download the beta at http://www.microsoft.com/spyware

My understanding is that it will be built into the XP security center in a future release.

yeah, the Microsoft Antispyware is actually rally good. I reccommend it, yeah I know it says Microsoft, but I think it was a different company before, Microsoft bought the rights or something. Anyways, I like it, and I also use ad-aware and spybot search and destroy, the microsoft one still found things those didnt get.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

I have never heard of Alexa, and you fools with your firefox make me laugh. IE has 90% of webpages written for it. WHy would you use somehting that doesn't support many web features? WHy? Because you are silly.

I use Firefox because I like it better, and I hate the idea of making Gates any more powerful than he already is.

So Vado Pudor Tu, my friend. Vado Pudor Tu.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived