Single entity v. Individual Ownership

omnivore

I like individual ownership, though, with a new league, the NVL should maintain an extensive amount of control over teams until they are established. By establishing control over them, you assure positive growth in the team's life, unlike the ABA, which is more like the Anarchy Basketball Association these days. <_<

You mean the Almost Bankrupt Association, right? :D

nav-logo.png

• 1 month later...

Essentially, here's where things are.

The league should be announcing a title sponsor in the next two weeks or so. Essentially, the need to thrive and make money isn't going to be as important as spreading the game and growing the sport - to gauge its popularity or any interest at all in it.

That should enable us to stage exhibitions in a few cities this summer, most likely one in the Midwest and one in the Mountain West. Of course, the advantage being if they completely flop that we didn't do it in a major city where it was expected and allows us to go back to the drawing board, if necessary.

We're looking at a 10-12 team setup, but instead of a normal setup where teams travel seperately, we're essentially staging our weekly matches in different cities, with all the leagues games played there over a 2 day period. Fans buy day-passes or weekend passes to see the games.

Arenas have been really receptive to the sport, which was surprising to us. But I guess they figure that anything new might be worth trying out once.

We simplified the rules and eliminated a lot of the jargon. New sports grow when people understand what's going on, not when they have to read an entire rule book before going to check it out.

So that's where it stands right now. They'll be lots of tie-ins with toccer too. Prior to the games of that week in whatever city we're in, players will visit cities in their uniforms and give toccer lessons in gym classes or in exhibitions. Other promotions are in the works too.

We've got at least two more cities I think we'll add, more because their arena were interested when we contacted them, less than they were on our radar. But it actually works well for travel purposes, too. At least 1 should be in Iowa and most likely, the last will be in Illinois. Here are the cities so far:

Bismarck, North Dakota

Omaha, Nebraska

St. Paul, Minnesota

Billings, Montana

Spokane, Washington

Everett, Washington

Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Fort Collins, Colorado

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Ron,

Any decision on single-entity vs. franchises?

How's the Commissioner search going? Having any luck?

We've been holding off largely because we're trying to see how much money Omnivore is going to get from lenders and all that. Because essentially, Omnivore will be the title sponsor of things.

For right now, we're going single-entity. But we're open to local ownership. I mean, the idea is that no one is going into this thinking they're going to get rich. Since it's part of the corporate structure at Omnivore for the time being, the goal is more to try to cultivate the product and make it marketable.

Essentially, the way we've got it..there could feasibly be teams that are say, sponsored by local companies and then operations are run by a local group or whatever. But since the sport is new, we're much more interested in getting people who are committed to the development of the sport - figuring that if we stick to our [pretty solid, IMHO] plan - that the game will grow in time.

As for the Commissioner search, we've actually got a few candidates in the pocket who are pretty encouraging. I was surprised, since we didn't really publicize it yet. So, we're going to wait to interview them in the next week or two once we have some clearer ideas of exactly how things will be.

I'm more interested in having someone in the job for a while and so, I'm considering just running the operations out of corporate HQ for the time being and waiting until later in the summer to hire someone. Because nothing would be worse than having someone in there for a few months and then realizing they don't want to do it. You obviously can't predict for it, but...we're going to do our best.

We're looking at getting a whole new site for all of the companies, so that's on the horizon and then, we'll start unveiling teams and such.

Busy times...but thanks for asking :) Free tickets for anyone in CCSC that would want to come to a game in one of our cities. And you can hold me to that...especially the skeptics.

Get a hot dog, a beer and boo if you wish :)

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

As for the Commissioner search, we've actually got a few candidates in the pocket who are pretty encouraging. I was surprised, since we didn't really publicize it yet. So, we're going to wait to interview them in the next week or two once we have some clearer ideas of exactly how things will be.

Do you have a job description prepared?

Reason I ask is that oftentimes sports leagues will hire soemone to serve as Commissioner, only to find down the road that while the owners were looking for someone to serve as more of a league marketer, the guy hired saw the position as more of an administrative/leadership role.

If I weren't living in North Carolina and unwilling to move I'd apply for it; sounds like it might be a challenge, I like building organizations, and I love proving people (including in this case, my own past statements) wrong.

nav-logo.png

The problem with MLS is that several of the teams are owned by groups. Prime example: AEG owns LA Galaxy, NY/NJ MetroStars, Chicago Fire, Colorado Rapids, San Jose Earthquakes and DC United in MLS. They made a controversial decision when the let Earthquakes star Landon Donovan go to Europe for essentially a few days, he then resigns with the league itself and AEG controlled his alocation. Because the struggle with now being the #2 MLS team in LA, AEG and MLS allocated Donovan, one of the brightest stars US Soccer has to the Galaxy. While at the same time the Quakes struggle without Donovan at the gate admist rumors that AEG wants to move the Quakes to San Antonio for a possible sale to Club America.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Our description is essentially calling for a person that can be a "marketer" but has some management experience, especially in sports. I view the commissioner as a dealmaker and such to our investors and the management team under him/her. You need someone who can represent the sport and feels passionate about the game truly becoming something great - not even because of the product - but because of the people behind the scenes making it happen.

I mean, looking at the blunders made by other leagues is worth a lot of money right there.

I like what you've done Ron, but have you considred taking an AFL-style approach.....the AFL is run by a commision of 6, 7 or 8 commissioners and one chairman, they run the league then they have a CEO (also on the commission) which it the public face of the sport, they market te league and basically are the boss of the league.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

The problem with MLS is that several of the teams are owned by groups. Prime example: AEG owns LA Galaxy, NY/NJ MetroStars, Chicago Fire, Colorado Rapids, San Jose Earthquakes and DC United in MLS. They made a controversial decision when the let Earthquakes star Landon Donovan go to Europe for essentially a few days, he then resigns with the league itself and AEG controlled his alocation. Because the struggle with now being the #2 MLS team in LA, AEG and MLS allocated Donovan, one of the brightest stars US Soccer has to the Galaxy. While at the same time the Quakes struggle without Donovan at the gate admist rumors that AEG wants to move the Quakes to San Antonio for a possible sale to Club America.

I still think it was stupid they put Chivas USA in LA. Chivas was a good idea, but in LA with another team wasn't.

They (Chivas) should have gone to a state with a large hispanic population that loves soccer...New Mexico.

As for Club America USA or whatever, I don't like the idea of moving a team from San Jose. They seem to follow the team well, and they are a very good draw.

I'd rather them expand to Miami and try that again. Once again, large Hispanic population that enjoys soccer. I think miami could work the second time around as the league is now more established. San Antonio would be good as well.

I'd love to see a St. Louis team, but I'm betting the MLS champion will be invited to the Champions league before that happens.

:P

I like what you've done Ron, but have you considred taking an AFL-style approach.....the AFL is run by a commision of 6, 7 or 8 commissioners and one chairman, they run the league then they have a CEO (also on the commission) which it the public face of the sport, they market te league and basically are the boss of the league.

Really, once we get our investors or whatever...we'll be able to organize a better corporate organization. But all those folks generally want money, unless they're investors - which we think - that will be able to make a push or whatever for a better leadership structure or whatever.

Initially, it'll be a thin structure. But we figure that'll be a bit better in the months after we clarify our investment position better, etc.

I still think it was stupid they put Chivas USA in LA. Chivas was a good idea, but in LA with another team wasn't.

They (Chivas) should have gone to a state with a large hispanic population that loves soccer...New Mexico.

As for Club America USA or whatever, I don't like the idea of moving a team from San Jose. They seem to follow the team well, and they are a very good draw.

I'd rather them expand to Miami and try that again. Once again, large Hispanic population that enjoys soccer. I think miami could work the second time around as the league is now more established. San Antonio would be good as well.

I'd love to see a St. Louis team, but I'm betting the MLS champion will be invited to the Champions league before that happens.

:P

I agree with you, wholeheartedly. I think the league could've better job of using their cities, rather than having two teams in a market with a team that's fought hard for itself in LA.

And I hope they don't move a team. I'd like to see MLS start being more stable with their franchises, rather than moving them around more.

I don't know that Miami would work. They had a great owner the first time. Not a soccer-specific stadium. San Antonio would be better, though I'd love to see them in a non-traditional (e.g. no major league sports, yet) market like New Mexico.

And like you, I think St. Louis ought to have a team. But then, an NBA team ought to be there by now, too.

maybe something to do with marketing the league.....run the season when most of the other sports are uninteresting...

for example

MLB- April> October

NBA- Nov>May/Jun

NHL- Gone

NFL- Sep>Feb

IMHO the ideal time to run the league is Jan to April......so that you get most of March as your prime time for NVL. In between the two big sports in the US (NFL & MLB) IMO....I don't think the NBA is as big a threat if you know what i mean.....and imo, the NBA in march is not that interesting.....

The problem is that January to April can be a pretty cold/snowy time of the year in places like Colorado, New York, Boston (New England), Columbus, etc--people in the States would much rather watch soccer when it's warm out. Plus, that's an awfully condensed schedule, leavning only about sixteen weeks or so.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Since the first season is going to be run more in the style of And1, where it's like..a tour that takes all of our teams to the different cities to play the games (though we're considering doing bye weeks for particular teams to even the schedule out. Not just to give players time off, but to cut costs)

That said, we're looking at a schedule that extends into the summer, to months like August - the one month where none of the major sports leagues have a championship game. You could argue there is a reason for that, but it's pragmatic for other reasons too. Kids are still out of school in most places - though going back.

So if you can capitalize on the summer months and turn it into a "special" event, it works well. Especially since that's a big target market for us.

So, other than this year's exhibitions - and we're leaving a few markets as we've found better fits for our plan (more on that later) next year's schedule will probably run from May to August or something like that. Plus it works well with arena schedules, too. At least, a lot of them are more willing to have us in the summer rather than during the other parts of the year when it's crowded.

January thru april is also...

NCAA Basketball.

And cold.

oops i forgot about the NCAA....and the weather......how big is a Ice Hockey rink roughly? would Viperball fit into NHL arenas once bigger? from the rules book i think it would fit and the plexiglass and dashboards aroudn it i think will make it suit....maybe i dont know what im talking about

NCAA Basketball.

And cold.

oops i forgot about the NCAA....and the weather......how big is a Ice Hockey rink roughly? would Viperball fit into NHL arenas once bigger? from the rules book i think it would fit and the plexiglass and dashboards aroudn it i think will make it suit....maybe i dont know what im talking about

Here is a link to the NVL rules

A new web site will be unveiled hopefully by early next week. Some recent news is that Everett, WA and Sioux Falls, SD are out. Rockford, IL and Dubuque, IA are in.

Mainly it had to do with their facilities and feasibility. And no, the release hasn't been put out yet. But...it's not like anyone knows what the league is yet anyway..so..I figured I'd share.

As for arena sizes, obviously we're not going to fill an NHL arena initially. But yes, we can fit onto an NHL rink. That was the point, with the dasherboards and all, to essentially be able to fit onto a standarized field. That wasn't the plan when we developed it, but it just made more sense for feasibility purposes when we started looking at arenas and such alike to actually play in.

NCAA Basketball.

And cold.

Here is a link to the NVL rules

A new web site will be unveiled hopefully by early next week. Some recent news is that Everett, WA and Sioux Falls, SD are out. Rockford, IL and Dubuque, IA are in.

Mainly it had to do with their facilities and feasibility. And no, the release hasn't been put out yet. But...it's not like anyone knows what the league is yet anyway..so..I figured I'd share.

As for arena sizes, obviously we're not going to fill an NHL arena initially. But yes, we can fit onto an NHL rink. That was the point, with the dasherboards and all, to essentially be able to fit onto a standarized field. That wasn't the plan when we developed it, but it just made more sense for feasibility purposes when we started looking at arenas and such alike to actually play in.

that's good cos you have 40+ big arenas in North America.....the problem with Aussie Rules gorwing in the US is that they have no ovals so they use soccer fields and modify the rules......they cant build ovals unti lthey get money etc....same with cricket....

Archived