Please judge my Fantasy League Team Names

clemster007

Here's a list of team in my league. Let me and my buddies know what you think of our teams. If you have any suggestions please let us know.

1.Boston Bruins (Named after a high school in our area, not the hockeye team)

2. Las Vegas Gamblers

3. Chicago Bruisers (Yes, after the AFL team)

4. Los Angeles Gladiators

5. Anchorage Icebreakers

6. Oakland Invaders (After the Raiders)

7. Buffalo Destroyers (After the AFL team)

8. Philadelphia Enforcers

9. Charlotte Chargers (Bulls logo to be used)

10. San Antonio Renegades

11. Denver Avalanche

12. El Paso Outlaws

13. Mesa Mavericks

14. Honolulu Islanders (Not after the AFL team)

15. Austin Wranglers

16. Milwaukee Marauders

17. Green Bay Grizzlies

18. Baltimore Barbarians

19. Anahiem Rampage

20. Columbus Warriors

21. Jacksonville Predators

22. Dallas Desperados (This team had this name before the AFL)

23. Miami Hurricanes (Yes, after the University)

24. Kansas City Cowboys

Thank you.

OUCH!!! You said that our team names seem generic. I don't fully get the generic remark. We put some time into our teams names. We were trying to keep our league names professional. The designs we are using are going to be more intense. If you like the names such as, "Atom Smashers, Skull Crushers, Sun Blasters, or Booger flickers," these names are what I would expect people to use that aren't taking their league seriously or are just in a league for laughs.

We wanted something that stands out and our league will. When I think generic I think NFL. How plain jane can the NFL be. The logos are dull except for Jacksonville, the names are all high school knicknames, except for the Steelers or Packers. I think there are only a couple of cities that are named after anything to do with their home sites, Pittsburgh, Houston was, sort of is now, New England, Cleveland, Green Bay, San Francisco, New Orleans, and Buffalo. This is why I would love to see a real league come in to the world.

OUCH!!! You said that our team names seem generic. I don't fully get the generic remark. We put some time into our teams names. We were trying to keep our league names professional. The designs we are using are going to be more intense. If you like the names such as, "Atom Smashers, Skull Crushers, Sun Blasters, or Booger flickers," these names are what I would expect people to use that aren't taking their league seriously or are just in a league for laughs.

We wanted something that stands out and our league will. When I think generic I think NFL. How plain jane can the NFL be. The logos are dull except for Jacksonville, the names are all high school knicknames, except for the Steelers or Packers. I think there are only a couple of cities that are named after anything to do with their home sites, Pittsburgh, Houston was, sort of is now, New England, Cleveland, Green Bay, San Francisco, New Orleans, and Buffalo. This is why I would love to see a real league come in to the world.

You wanted someone to tell you and your buds what they thought...and nitro did. No need to get all defensive about it. So, he thought they were generic. Like you said, you and your friends put thought into the names. Feel good about that.

[AD - NCFA] Arctic University Kodiaks (5-1-0, CONF 0-0-0)

[Owner - NABA] Arctic Menace (18-12)

Copying JQK and CC

Minneapolis.gif

VP.jpg

I think there are only a couple of cities that are named after anything to do with their home sites, Pittsburgh, Houston was, sort of is now, New England, Cleveland, Green Bay, San Francisco, New Orleans, and Buffalo. This is why I would love to see a real league come in to the world.

Yeah, up until they got that Bear Patrol, the city of Boston was being overrun by bears. Don't even get me started on all the barbaric acts happening at the Inner Harbor. Oh and the verb in Anaheim? Doesn't get much more classic than that. :rolleyes:

If you wanted to make a change, why didn't you start with your own league?

Cool. Thank you aengre. I wasn't being defensive. I was trying to explain the names, That's all. I don't expect everyone to like what we come up with. I appreciate your input. We are happy with our names and like what we have so far. However, I also requested that if anybody had a different name or idea for a name, then please let me know. I am not trying to bite anybody's head off and if I offended anyone, I am sorry. I am just a bit disgusted with the NFL and their logos. College teams have more flavor, if only college football had a playoff for the top teams.

Thank you.

By the way, that was why I included the smiley face with my last posting. To show that I wasn't trying to upset anyone.

OMMF This one is for you. I like what we've done with our league names and the logos we are using. I wish I had the money to begin another real proffesional league. I would try to do more than the NFL has, logo and nickname wise. I have a question though. Was Boston really being overrun with bears??? I don't know much about Boston, but the Boston Ice breakers don't sound bad. I still like the Boston Bruins that my buddy has and his logo and colors. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Was Boston really being overrun with bears???

Uhhhh...

Yes. Here is a photo of the original Boston Bear Patrol

B00017G8BC.jpg

For those that want to know the real reason for the name:

After Charles F. Adams acquired the NHL franchise for Boston and hired Art Ross as the first General Manager and Coach, it became necessary to aquire an appropriate name for the new entry into the hockey wars.

Ground rules for the selection of a name laid down by Adams at that time were:

1. The team's basic colors should be brown with yellow trim. This color scheme was selected primarily because Adams was then president of Brookside Stores and all said stores had a color combination of brown with a yellow trim.

2. The name chosen should preferably relate to an untamed animal whose name was synonymous with size, strength, agility, ferocity and cunning, and in the color brown category.

Dozens of names were submitted from various sources like news media, sportsmen and fans, none of which wre entirely satisfactory. It remained for the secretary to Ross - he ran a sporting goods store part time in Montreal - to submit the name "Bruins" which was ultimately selected.

OMMF, Thanks. I didn't know how they derived at the Bruins name. My buddy always liked Boston and he went to a high school that is north of my alma mater. Named Brooke High, home of the Bruins. I had to give it to him. Back in the late 80's they had an awsome football team that ruled the valley. So, thus the Boston Bruins. Nice picture of Fozzy. I guess that was a shot at me. Good One.

Thank you.

Part of the problem with your league's overall collection of team identities is that out of twenty-four team names, better than half (fourteen) seem to be referencing types of people as mascots. Further, those fourteen lend themselves to relatively few visual interpretations; Up to seven have a Western theme, while five embrace a warrior theme. Amongst the four names that seem to invoke animal mascots, two conjure up images of bears. Of the four team names that reference inanimate objects, two would seem to be drawn from types of ocean-going vessels. In other words, "generic" may well be equated with "lacking in variety".

WESTERN-THEMED NAMES

Cowboys

Desperados

Mavericks

Outlaws

Wranglers

Gamblers and/or Renegades could also fit in this group.

WARRIOR-THEMED NAMES

Barbarians

Gladiators

Invaders

Marauders

Warriors

STRENGTH-THEMED NAMES

Bruisers

Enforcers

(These are very close to the warrior-themed identities, as well.)

BEAR-THEMED NAMES

Bruins

Grizzlies

OTHER ANIMAL-THEMED NAMES

Chargers (based on the use of a bull as the mascot)

Predators

INANIMATE SHIP-THEMED NAMES

Destroyers

Icebreakers

INANIMATE WEATHER/NATURE-THEMED

Avalanche

Hurricanes

OTHER THEMES

Islanders

Rampage

Okay. I hadn't looked that deeply into it. Wow. What do you do for a living??? That's not a shot at you, I'm just curious. What would you recommend then? I appreciate the input, but I have also asked for advice on team names. Just to make sure I am not on a dull level.

Let me start by saying that:

10 are animals, out of the 10, 3 are bears.

2 are weather and

12 are human, all were decided for now to keep a warrior mentality

I'm still looking for advice.

Boston Bruins -- I'd go with something a little more original.

Las Vegas Gamblers -- Too cliche. There's better ones out that that are references to gambling and aren't so common (Rockets -- Pocket Aces in Texas Hold'em are referred to as Pocket Rockets. Cowboys -- Pocket Kings are referred to as Cowboys. Rounders -- a Poker player that plays pretty much all kinds of pocker)

Chicago Bruisers -- I'm not crazy about it, but have no real problem with it.

Buffalo Destroyers -- Go with something more original.

Denver Avalanche -- Not many Avalanches in the city of Denver itself.

Those are the only ones I really don't like.

IUe6Hvh.png

I've always believed names of teams should be kind of representative of the city or state involved.

So Las Vegas Gamblers works. So does Denver Avalanche (no, there aren't avalanches in Denver, but there are in the Rocky Mountains), but it's too close to Colorado Avalanche. Etc., etc., etc.

But Buffalo Destroyers? Anaheim Rampage? Columbus Warriors?

Come on, you're creative. Show that creativity.

Boston Bulldogs

Las Vegas Gamblers

Chicago Rhinos

Los Angeles Stars

Anchorage Kodiaks

Oakland Dons

Buffalo Blitz

Philadelphia Brigade

Charlotte Swarm

San Antonio Stallions

Denver Bighorns

El Paso Cavalry