Goodbye Ducks?

Schoonerville

I saw a theard about this in another forum (hockeyattitude.com)

PLUCKING THE DUCKS: The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim may be in for a new look when the NHL returns to the ice. Walt Disney Co., which used the team to cross-promote its Mighty Ducks movies, recently sold the team to California billionaire Henry Samueli for $75 million.

With no remaining ties to Disney, NHL sources said Samueli likely would seek the NHL's permission to rename the club, maybe turning to the gold and green California Golden Seals uniforms to spark merchandise sales. The Golden Seals were an NHL club from 1967-76.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...tacodalogin=yes

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 90's just need to be forgotten. Anything that came about then, just change it to make it work. Everything was a little lame, at least in the early 90's. If we could all forget that teal exists, we'd be in a much better place.

:P

The 90's just need to be forgotten. Anything that came about then, just change it to make it work. Everything was a little lame, at least in the early 90's. If we could all forget that teal exists, we'd be in a much better place.

If it means I can avoid ever having to see the color teal again, I'm 100% in favor.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

The 90's just need to be forgotten.  Anything that came about then, just change it to make it work.  Everything was a little lame, at least in the early 90's.  If we could all forget that teal exists, we'd be in a much better place.

If it means I can avoid ever having to see the color teal again, I'm 100% in favor.

This will sure please a couple of notable Sharks fans here..... :rolleyes:

I saw, I came, I left.

I normally don't like green & yellow together, but the Seals did it well (Although not the last version)-

The ones on this link--they used from 1970-71 thru 1973-74-

Best Seals unis--I'd like one of these

Don't like these they used their last 2 seasons-they're horrible

They used these their first 3 seasons--they're not bad either...

I've never liked the Ducks' unis--but they weren't as bad as the ones in the first movie--those were vomit inducing...

d3_the_mighty_ducks_019.jpg

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I have to admit, when I first heard that there was going to be a team named the Mighty Ducks, I was pretty pumped. I loved the movies as a kid, but now that I'm grown, it seems kind of silly...I'm really interested to see what the team anme is going to be when/if hockey starts back up again. Going back to the Golden Seals would be an excellent idea, but use new uniforms

I have to admit, when I first heard that there was going to be a team named the Mighty Ducks, I was pretty pumped. I loved the movies as a kid, but now that I'm grown, it seems kind of silly...I'm really interested to see what the team anme is going to be when/if hockey starts back up again. Going back to the Golden Seals would be an excellent idea, but use new uniforms

Yeah I think that's probably why I liked the name too. But it seems silly to keep making money for Disney, if the team has been sold. I think going retro and going with the Golden Seals name is a great idea.

Surprising that NHL teams need league permission to change their names, tho.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

... NHL sources said Samueli likely would seek the NHL's permission to rename the club, maybe turning to the gold and green California Golden Seals uniforms to spark merchandise sales.

Hmmm... the NHL sources' claim seems to fly in the face of Mr. Samueli's own comments in the February 26th edition of the Los Angeles Times.

"We like the name Mighty Ducks and certainly see no compelling reason to change it. If the fans want to change, we'll change it."

So, are we to believe that in the nearly three weeks since his statement was published, Mr. Samueli has been inundated with requests from Southern California hockey fans to specifically change the team's name to the Golden Seals?

If we accept the information from NHL sources, it would seem as though Mr. Samueli is attempting to "play both ends against the middle". He initially said that he and his wife liked the current name, presumably to placate fans of the existing identity. Meanwhile, he was already floating the idea of a change past the folks at the NHL's properties division.

You know, come to think of it, I don't believe seals get as far south as Anaheim. Matter of fact, I don't believe Anaheim has any coastline whatsoever.

Well, while I'll grant you that Anaheim doesn't have any coastline, Orange County certainly does. Obviously, the Samueli's plan to market their franchise to all of Orange County.

As for the range of seals on the North American Pacific Coast, harbor seals can be found from Alaska all the way down to the Baja Peninsula. You can spot harbor seals offshore in any of Orange County's coastal communities. Crystal Cove State Park near Laguna Beach is a prime seal-watching spot.

Archived