Goodbye Ducks?

Schoonerville

The 90's just need to be forgotten.  Anything that came about then, just change it to make it work.  Everything was a little lame, at least in the early 90's.  If we could all forget that teal exists, we'd be in a much better place.

:P

If it means I can avoid ever having to see the color teal again, I'm 100% in favor.

This will sure please a couple of notable Sharks fans here..... :rolleyes:

Don't even get me started guys.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there's already enough confusion with the stars/seals/barons/sharks connections.... naming the ducks the seals would mean that over half of the damn pacific division will be involved in this weird naming rights triangle.

there's already enough confusion with the stars/seals/barons/sharks connections.... naming the ducks the seals would mean that over half of the damn pacific division will be involved in this weird naming rights triangle.

Not that hard of confusion:

CALIFORNIA GOLDEN SEALS become CLEVELAND BARONS.

CLEVELAND BARONS merge with the MINNESOTA NORTHSTARS.

MINNESOTA NORTHSTARS move and become the DALLAS STARS.

The Sharks really have no connections in there.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

The article said nothing about the team changing their name to the Golden Seals. It said they were thinking about "maybe turning to the gold and green California Golden Seals uniforms." Changing uniform identities is not the same thing as changing names.

I suspect they'll drop the "Mighty" and change colors. But if they go to green and gold, they'll be mistaken for Oregon.

You forgot the part where the Cleveland Barons finally break away from the Minnesota North Stars, move to San Jose, and take the half the North Stars with them.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

You forgot the part where the Cleveland Barons finally break away from the Minnesota North Stars, move to San Jose, and take the half the North Stars with them.

Except that, despite was has been said upthread, the Barons didn't break away from the North Stars and become the Sharks.

The Barons ceased to exist when they merged with the North Stars. Gund wanted to move the Stars to the Bay Area in the early '90s but the NHL didn't want him to, so they let him sell the North Stars and gave him an expansion team part of the deal included Gund getting to keep some of "his" players, which is why the Stars got to participate in the expansion draft.

The NHL used the fact that Gund gave up his Barons franchise in the merger as a reason to not have a bidding process for the Bay Area expansion team. It was just an excuse to get around those formalities, it was not a rebirth of the Seals/Barons franchise.

This was discussed last summer on the HockeyResearch.com hockey history mailing list. It's a YahooGroup, so you can sign up and check it out here, it starts with post 45987.

No, I think you just assumed that. Mockba posted a logo that's probably the primary logo where as the "Donald logo" was probably their primary in the past. Just because they changed their primary doesn't mean they can't tie Donald into their package. Let's not forget that Oregon's mascot is a freakin' duck. So me not being from Oregon or really paying attention to their athletic program do you see a problem with me asking an additional question?

actually, donald is used quite a bit here in eugene. they tried some lame "robo-duck" mascot and he was torn apart. the people wanted donald. its on merchandise(but not nike) and you cant drive a block in this town without seeing donald on a flag or painted on a window. they will never get rid of donald

There are some more hideous--but those aren't the ones most of us are talking about--they went with those their last 2 seasons as the Seals--and I agree, those are hideous--what I'd like to see again are these-

wj-calif.jpg

meloche_gilles.jpg

And you can see all 3 main versions of their uniforms on Tank's site here...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I'll stick with what they had second as my favorite ones--but the first ones were pretty good too--your concept is okay--as long as you don't put any yellow into it...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

The Barons ceased to exist when they merged with the North Stars.  Gund wanted to move the Stars to the Bay Area in the early '90s but the NHL didn't want him to, so they let him sell the North Stars and gave him an expansion team  part of the deal included Gund getting to keep some of "his" players, which is why the Stars got to participate in the expansion draft.

The NHL used the fact that Gund gave up his Barons franchise in the merger as a reason to not have a bidding process for the Bay Area expansion team.  It was just an excuse to get around those formalities, it was not a rebirth of the Seals/Barons franchise.

This was discussed last summer on the HockeyResearch.com hockey history mailing list.  It's a YahooGroup, so you can sign up and check it out here, it starts with post 45987.

That's exactly right.

I would hardly call that Yahoo thread (or this one, for that matter) definitive proof. (Examples: Gunn Brothers? Someone not believing that the Stars had picks in the 1991 expansion draft?)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Give me a break the whole "Gunn Brothers" thing was just a typo.

The fact is that thread is home to a lot of people who know what they are talking about as well as various historians who have followed the game for along time. One of the most knowledgable historians I've every met (Morey Holzman) regularly vists that board and has posted incrdible bits of information he has come across through his years of research. Everything that Yzerfan said is true. Even the Hockey News around that time confirmed all this.

It's been well documented that the "unmerger" was used as a formality mainly for the Gunds to gain access to some of the North Star players to stock their expansion team, and (to a lesser extent) as part of the deal to get the expansion team without any competitive bidders. Remember they got this expansion team so they wouldn't move the North Stars to Oakland.

As Morey Holzman said "the whole thing was silly because the NHL basically said we are undoing the merger but then we're not".

The Seals/Barons franchise is considered defunct. If any reminants of them remain it would be within the Dallas Stars organization. Technically (and officially)there is nothing of the Seals within the Sharks.

Um, alright, I think I'll just not comment any more on this. Please, put your other board back on its pedestal, sorry I may have jostled the base.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I don't know about you people, but whoever put up this seemed like a real, condescending prick.

yeah. that guy has no idea what he's talking about.

for years the north stars had had lots of trouble filling the seats. minnesota is hockey country, but they just took their NHL team for granted because they never were a power house, and they had so many other colleges, high schools, minors, etc to cheer for.

norm green saved the north stars from moving earlier than they did, but just couldn't get enough cash to justify keeping the team there... he then looked around for relocation destinations... from what ive heard from people who were employees of the team at that point (mainly, stars play-by-play man, ralph strangis, who is a life long north stars fan, and color man under the legendary al shaver) the stars didn't have dallas as their first choice. it was actually 3rd or 4th down the list. from what i've heard, they originally wanted to move the team to anaheim, but they got the ducks instead... then they ended up moving to dallas, with NO "texan" employees until after they moved. in fact, most of the staff was either fired or quit right before the move, so having any added "texans" wouldn't have mattered, even if it were true.

dallas became attached to the sport... norm green quickly unloaded the team to tom hicks.. then the stars were good, minnesota got the wild, and everyone lived happily ever after.

as hard as it is for some former north stars fans to believe, there was no huge texas conspiracy to steal their team. the fans of texas had nothing to do with it, and there wasn't any sneakiness and conspiracy theories to manufacture a reason for relocation.

my heart goes out to all the original north stars fans who had their team move to dallas... i want to end the animosity over it, as well... the fans had nothing to do with it. the players had nothing to do with it. the broadcasters had nothing to do with it, and the current management team had nothing to do with.... it was norm green, who moved the team due to strictly financial reasons. dallas is just a bigger market, that is known for it's insanity over sports teams. there's no need to booo mike modano during player introductions.. he's never said anything bad about minnesota.

and i definately don't want this whole discussion about the seals/barons to stop either, just because each site is confident in itself. i'm very interested in what exactly happened, when it happened, why it happened, and what it means for the naming rights, and rights to records...

we keep seeing a lot of "well, this is what i heard" from all different angles, and no one seems to be able to come up with a rock solid story. being a diehard stars fan since elementary school, this topic is of great interest to me.

Archived