Goodbye Ducks?

Schoonerville

Since elementary school? Damn, you're a youngin'. ;)

I don't think there's a lot of animosity from hockey fans up this way towards the people of Dallas. Just don't ask them about Norm Green.

As for the merger/unmerger/whatnot, as I said before, this thread's all heresay, especially the stuff I've posted. It's what I believe happened, but there's not a lot of documentation available, and the NHL seemed to do its best at the time to blur what was going on. (Of course, at that point, I didn't live here, I lived in St. Louis.)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since elementary school? Damn, you're a youngin'. ;)

I don't think there's a lot of animosity from hockey fans up this way towards the people of Dallas. Just don't ask them about Norm Green.

As for the merger/unmerger/whatnot, as I said before, this thread's all heresay, especially the stuff I've posted. It's what I believe happened, but there's not a lot of documentation available, and the NHL seemed to do its best at the time to blur what was going on. (Of course, at that point, I didn't live here, I lived in St. Louis.)

yeah... i'm a youngin :)

turn 21 in a few days... i was in elementary school in 93-94, and used to live in boston and new york, so my family loved hockey... became an instant fan.

my dad used to live in michigan, so he always sorta liked the red wings, and oddly enough, always had a soft spot for the north stars. then we moved to texas in like 1991, and a few years later the stars arrived.

As for the merger/unmerger/whatnot, as I said before, this thread's all heresay, especially the stuff I've posted.  It's what I believe happened, but there's not a lot of documentation available, and the NHL seemed to do its best at the time to blur what was going on.  (Of course, at that point, I didn't live here, I lived in St. Louis.)

Yes there is. The media covered it pretty well back around 1990. I first read about it in an issue of the Hockey News. Plus Bob Mackenzie (who's a hockey anaylst) explained it pretty throughly on TSN.

I don't know about you people, but whoever put up this seemed like a real, condescending prick.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

I know. But that Giantdevilfish guy took him to task over it and he just left without trying to defend himself. The whole "I was there" conspiracy theroies was just pathetic and as ColeDMD pointed out his rants were just full of errors.

Much like the case with the NFL's Browns to Baltimore, whatever the NHL says it was should be seen as official in terms of "linking" franchises.

If the Ravens were an expansion team and the Browns on hiatus, well then the Seals are now the Sharks.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

So, if the Mighty Ducks change their name to the Golden Seals, can we start the rumors that the NBA franchise in Toronto will drop the Jurassic Park reference?

I don't mean to steer this off topic, and maybe you can answer this in another thread or a pm, but seriously Chris - how do folks in Toronto feel about the Raptors name and identity?

As for the merger/unmerger/whatnot, as I said before, this thread's all heresay, especially the stuff I've posted.  It's what I believe happened, but there's not a lot of documentation available, and the NHL seemed to do its best at the time to blur what was going on.  (Of course, at that point, I didn't live here, I lived in St. Louis.)

Much like the case with the NFL's Browns to Baltimore, whatever the NHL says it was should be seen as official in terms of "linking" franchises.

If the Ravens were an expansion team and the Browns on hiatus, well then the Seals are now the Sharks.

It's a different situation. The NHL dealt with a merger, while the NFL didn't.

So, if the Mighty Ducks change their name to the Golden Seals, can we start the rumors that the NBA franchise in Toronto will drop the Jurassic Park reference?

I don't mean to steer this off topic, and maybe you can answer this in another thread or a pm, but seriously Chris - how do folks in Toronto feel about the Raptors name and identity?

It's been 11 years so we're pretty used to it -- i don't hear anyone calling for a name change anywhere.

People here also hated "Blue Jays" when it was announced, "I prefer Toronto Blues" was one quote I remember reading.

---

Chris Creamer

Thanks Chris, I was always curioous about how the name was received in Toronto - plus it seems to have developed into a nice package beyond that awful primary logo. Just was wondering.

It's been 11 years so we're pretty used to it -- i don't hear anyone calling for a name change anywhere.

People here also hated "Blue Jays" when it was announced, "I prefer Toronto Blues" was one quote I remember reading.

I didn't think you were that old.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I didn't think you were that old.

Archives are wonderful

---

Chris Creamer

Don't the Dallas Stars own the rights to the Golden Seals name[The Seals-Barons franchise having merged with the North Stars in 1978]?

I wish I could find evidence online to support this, but I think the Golden Seals franchise became the San Jose Sharks, when the franchises were unmerged in 1991 in the whole Gund brothers mess (hence why the Sharks got half of the North Stars' roster, and the North Stars participated in that year's expansion draft along with the Sharks).

Actually, I'm fairly certain that the Sharks are not directly the Seals/Barons. The Sharks were officially an expansion team but the NHL avoided having a bidding process for the team by granting it to the Gunds because they willingly gave up the Seals/Barons franchise earlier. The Sharks exist because of the Seals/Barons, but they're not directly related to them.

Correct-a-mundo.

nav-logo.png

You forgot the part where the Cleveland Barons finally break away from the Minnesota North Stars, move to San Jose, and take the half the North Stars with them.

The Sharks were technically an expansion franchise, as reported elsewhere in the thread. Sorry, gang. No direct ties between the Sharks and Seals.

nav-logo.png

Archived