Anybody see this?

CheeseHusker

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unfair to single out one culture for support.  Why don't teams wear sombreros for Cinco de Mayo or lederhosen for Oktoberfest??

Because its not singling out one ethnic group...

Everyone is Irish on St. Paddy's Day!

In my Irish family, we've always called St. Patrick's Day "Amateur Night." :D

nav-logo.png

Do all teams have some sort of "holiday" colours and when did they start doing this and WHY?

it varies...I don't know a single NHL team that ever did this, though AHL and below are notorious for St. Paddy's jerseys (a friend of mine even won an auction for the Admirals' 2001 version and wore it around school the day after). on a rare St. Paddy's home game last year, the Celtics decided to do something even rarer, wearing their greens at home (vs. the Nuggets, IIRC). baseball, it varies. some teams, like the Cubs, only wear a green hat. others, like the Phils, BoSox and Cards, go all the way with green jerseys as well. IIRC the Phils and Reds used to wear green-hued versions of their home duds for this back in the 80s. and as you see at times, some teams don't bother with it (the teams with green as their main color anyway and a few others).

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Unfair to single out one culture for support.  Why don't teams wear sombreros for Cinco de Mayo or lederhosen for Oktoberfest??

It's all about aerodynamics. Both the sombrero and lederhosen have higher drag coefficients than regular baseball attire. THerefore, more energy is consumed when you try to run :D

Not to mention they both look stupid as hell.

It's all about aerodynamics. Both the sombrero and lederhosen have higher drag coefficients than regular baseball attire. THerefore, more energy is consumed when you try to run :D

Not to mention they both look stupid as hell.

Well in their place they don't--but in a ball game---they would...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I bring this up everytime a alternate uniform color thread pops up...

I want to see MLB wear pink uniforms across the board for one day. Auction off the jerseys and hats (signed by the players of course) for Breast Cancer Research. Go all out though. Alter the logos to different hues of pink and red. Put a Pink Ribbon behind the MLB logo on the backs and on the sides of the hats.

I need to write a letter.

A) It'd be cool to see.

B) its an extremly worthy cause.

• 1 month later...

The green on St. Patty's Day spread to the college ranks as well. At least it got to Chapel Hill...

UNC v. Princeton, 15 March 2005

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

They've had those white hats for as long as I can remember. I just don't get it. And for a school that has premier basketball uniforms and great colors (I am a biased alum, but still... the colors make for great unis), they've been unable to put together a consistently appealing look for baseball.

And green didn't help - but I like the thought.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Seriously though, the Cards aren't the only team to do this. Just off the top of my head, the Mets, Reds, and Red Sox do this too. It's only spring training, so who cares, in my opinion. If it was during the season I'd probably be against it.

I've seen Phillies, Dodgers, and White Sox caps as well.

Archived