2005 MLB Preview

NJTank

Mark my words Championship Hang Over thats what the Red Sox will suffer from all year as they miss the playoffs and Pedro Martinez as he wins the NL Cy Young with an ERA under 2.30.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The easiest choices to me are the Angels in the West and Yankees in the East. The Central is by far the toughest choice. The White Sox, Twins, and Indians could all be strong but I'm going with the Twins because there are less questions involved. The Indians are young and I doubt they know how to win a division. The White Sox lack a full rotation and their offense is streaky. The Red Sox look like the choice for Wild Card but there could be a team in the Central that could surprise. I think the Rangers and Orioles have awe inspiring lineups but they have absolutely NO pitching. To think either of them could win a division with their current pitching rotations and bullpens is idiotic.

Even the Yankees and Red Sox require a dominant closer and great rotation to reach the playoffs. They haven't gotten there on hitting alone.

In the NL I think the East is tough to pick. I'll go with the Braves because I feel there's less questions that need to be answered but if Smoltz can't pitch as a starter and the Marlins or Phillies rotations take off, there could be a new NL East Champ. The Mets I think will disappoint. Martinez and Glavine can't go deep into games anymore and their bullpen is VERY weak. Even with Piazza, Cameron and Beltran their lineup is still suspect. The Nationals have improved but not enough to stay out of the cellar I think. In the Central I really want to pick the Astros for 4th. Sure they have Clemens, Pettitte, Oswalt, and Lidge. Sure they have Bagwell, Everett, Berkman, and Biggio but they don't have much more. I just don't think it's enough. So in the Central I see the Cubs or Cardinals being at the top with the Pirates in 3rd. I can't really pick a winner. The Cardinals have gained and lost too much to know how they'll perform and the Cubs rotation isn't 100% so I have no clue how they'll do. In the West I cannot understand how anyone could pick the Dodgers to win the division over the Padres and Giants. The loss of Bonds for at least 6 weeks I think could be enough to lose them the division. The Rockies are young and I think we all feel they're one of the 5 worst teams in the majors. Jennings and Kennedy are ok, and I think Atkins could win ROY but then you've got Helton and scraps. The Diamondbacks have a Vasquez/Ortiz duo but not much else. Estes and Webb won't help them win anything. Glaus, Green, and Gonzalez (the killer G's) will hit tons of homers but I can't see a station-to-station team winning the division. The Padres however have all the makings of a winner. They're strong up the middle with Ramon Hernandez, Khalil Greene, and Mark Loretta. Roberts and Eric Young add speed. In Sweeney, Young, Blum and Ojeda they're bench is improved over last year. They have what I think is the best bullpen in baseball with Hammond, Seanez, Reyes, Linebrink, and Otsuka to go with closer Trevor Hoffman. They have power with a healthy Klesko and Nevin added to Hernandez, Giles, and Greene. They have great contact hitters in Nevin, Klesko, Loretta, and Burroughs. Great DP duo in Greene and Loretta and their rotation is great with Williams and Peavy at the top and I believe Eaton will have a breakout year. Lawrence will be the normal .500 pitcher with the 4.2 ERA. With Redding in the 5 slot instead of May I think we're better off. If Redding suffers Stauffer could be ready to step in.

In the Playoffs I see the same matchups (and end results) as last year. In the National League the Padres I think could only find trouble in facing the Cardinals. So if the Cards get in, we could have a Red Sox/Braves World Series. If not, the Padres will win it all.

I could be a blind homer here but I think I could be at least correct with the title pick. We'll see where they really get in the playoff scenarios.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Mark my words Championship Hang Over thats what the Red Sox will suffer from all year as they miss the playoffs and Pedro Martinez as he wins the NL Cy Young with an ERA under 2.30.

Dont agree with the Red Sox missin the playoffs

I WANT PEDRO TO WIN THE CY YOUNG THOUGH... If he wins that, then my fantasy team is in the riches :lol:

I actually agree about the Reds. Usually I say that they are going to be hot early but then go down hill after the All Star break, but I think they will stay with it. They have signed people that I have actually heard of from other teams not just some random guy from some other teams farm clubs.

Signature intentionally left blank

I think it would be more likely that they would want to knock the Yanks out again, seeing as how the curse has been lifted.

VmWIn6B.png

I don't agree with all the predictions...but you are more than welcome to yours and there is some fact behind much of them. They aren't just crazy picks...he put thought into them.

I do like you having Puljos winning the triple crown. If anyone's going to do it in the next 10 years, its Prince Albert.

I do like you having Puljos winning the triple crown. If anyone's going to do it in the next 10 years, its Prince Albert.

Prince Albert what an athlete! Bobsleding in 5 winter olympics, and now a fine baseball player :D

I'm still insisting that Tank add 7 wins somewhere (unless he's done that already)

I saw, I came, I left.

Predictions are funny. A whole bunch of experts -- including Jayson Stark and Peter Gammons -- picked the Twins to win it all.

Naturally, this was great news for a die-hard Twins fan like myself. It just came as a huge surprise.

As far as Tank's picks, I'm most in conflict with the AL Central -- of course -- and your choice of the Mets in the NL East. I wouldn't mind the Mets winning it, but I think the Braves and Marlins will be too tough to overcome for the Mets.

Also, I don't think Sammy will bust. I just don't think that team did enough to improve its pitching to nudge closer to the Yanks and Sox.

Also, I don't think Sammy will bust. I just don't think that team did enough to improve its pitching to nudge closer to the Yanks and Sox.

Did they improve their pitching at all?

I still think the Jays finish higher than the O's... so :P to Joe :)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Some interesting picks to say the least...

--The Mets are my team in the NL, but I know deep down they're not gonna win the NL East...the only way that happens is if the Braves, Marlins, and Phils all have seriously underachieving seasons, which I don't think is too likely...

The Mets made some good moves this offseason, but I think it's gonna get them a .500 record at best...the rotation after Pedro is kinda shaky and the bullpen outside of Looper (for lack of a better word) sucks...think about it, this team went out and WILLINGLY got Felix "King of the Maalox Moment" Heredia this offseason...

I will say with confidence that the Mets will finish ahead of the Nats...sorry, but the Nats are still the same ol' Expos, but just rocking the Walgreen's Dubya...

--The O's? I love the lineup, but the pitching is gawd-awful to say the least...outside of Lopez, I wouldn't trust their starters very much. I don't think The Corkmeister is gonna totally bust, but I think he'll put up some decent numbers, especially since he'll have Tejada and Palmiero protecting him in the lineup...

--The Indians pick is one I can see happening, but a lot of things have to break just right for the Tribe this year, IMO. They're on the verge, but I think the Twins have enough to win the division (even though the left side of the infield is a work in progress, they still have a pretty good lineup and the best pitching staff (read starters and bullpen) in the division, possibly even in the AL, IMO)...although, I would keep an eye on the Tigers this year. Something tells me they're gonna be a LOT better than previous years (as in they're gonna be a factor this year in the race...especially if Ordonez can stay healthy...he's been hitting the plop outta the ball in Lakeland)..However, I'm NOT sold on the White Sox. A clubhouse with the likes of Thomas, Everett, and now Pierzynski might not exactly be the best of mixes...and I think the losses of Lee and Ordonez were ones that could have been avoided, IMO...those 2 are still in the South Side, I'd like their chances a lot more...

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

GOD! The Orioles pitching sucks!

Oh that's right, they threw the only Opening Day shutout.(Just noticed the outstanding day by Buerhle, so they had company.)

BTW, Sosa was 2 for 4. Yes it was only one of 162, but it was a win today.

On the up and downside, my 9/10 lost 16-1 today. But, my 13/14 team won 8-2.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

I wouldn't mind seeing the Mets win the NL East but the bullpen is a mess. If yesterday is any indication as to how Looper will be they better call Detroit and make a deal for Urbina. Otherwise Pedro is going to have a lot of no decisions.

yeah, it was the D-backs but who says the Cubs have no offense? Alou and Sosa are great but they're two players. last time I checked, you need 9 batters, and our rotation (when Wood and Prior are healthy) have some of the better hitting pitchers in baseball. not to mention that Nomah guy...Ramirez...Lee...Patterson...Burnitz (at least til we find somebody) and Macias ain't no slouch off the bench. Now all we need to do is broker a trade for Ugie so we have a closer-Latroy's like Dotel, I like him as a setup man. he's a terrible closer, though.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

You guys are reading entirely too much into the first games. The cardinals were nearly swept by the Brewers Opening day. They were something like 6-18 to start the year off. But they ended with 105 wins. We'll talk in May.

Archived