Old-Time Hockey

CMUBrent

Port Huron will have pro hockey next year after all. With the Beacons relocating to Roanoke, the UHL awarded an expansion franchise to a non-profit group led by Citizens First Bank, McMorran Authority and the City of Port Huron. The new team will be called the Port Huron Flags, in honor of the IHL franchise that existed from 1962-81.

Port Huron Flags return next year

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

Props to the civic leaders in Port Huron stepping up to the plate and getting the Flags in place after the whole Beacons mess....

I'll be at McMorran on the 10th to help send the Beacons on their way to Roanoke for 05-06...and they'll get a preview of what life is gonna be like with Danbury as a divisional foe :hockeysmiley:

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

heres my take on the re-alignment

Michigan Division

Flint Generals

Kalamazoo K-Wings

Motor City Mechanics

Muskegon Fury

Port Huron Flags

Eastern Division

Adirondack Frostbite

Danbury Trashers

Elmira Jackals

Roanoke Hockey Franchise

Richmond River Dogs

Western Division

Fort Wayne Komets

Kansas City Outlaws

Missouri River Otters

Quad City Mallards

Rockford Icehogs

On the name Michigan Division, Why not, all the teams from the Central are from Michigan anyway, so why not

Have to agree, lilg....that's probably how the U's gonna look next season..although, there are rumblings about Toledo joining next year as well...not putting a whole lot of stock in that, but IMO, it's a perfect fit (they're drawing a shade over 3K in the ECHL and would have some natural rivals in MC, PH, Flint, K-zoo, and Fort Wayne)

FANTASY TEAMS

Michigan Division

Flint Generals

Kalamazoo K-Wings

Motor City Mechanics

Muskegon Fury

Port Huron Flags

Eastern Division

Adirondack Frostbite

Danbury Trashers

Elmira Jackals

Roanoke Hockey Franchise

Richmond River Dogs

Western Division

Fort Wayne Komets

Kansas City Outlaws

Missouri River Otters

Quad City Mallards

Rockford Icehogs

On the name Michigan Division, Why not, all the teams from the Central are from Michigan anyway, so why not

BTW, Williamsport, Pennsylvania is supposed to join in 2007

Signature intentionally left blank

Michigan Division

Flint Generals

Kalamazoo K-Wings

Motor City Mechanics

Muskegon Fury

Port Huron Flags

Toledo Storm(which is a big need of a logo haulover)

Eastern Division

Adirondack Frostbite

Danbury Trashers

Elmira Jackals

Roanoke Hockey Franchise

Richmond River Dogs

Williamsport Hockey Franchise

Western Division

Fort Wayne Komets

Kansas City Outlaws

Missouri River Otters

Quad City Mallards

Rockford Icehogs

Chicago Hockey Franchise

On the name Michigan Division,  Why not, all the teams from the Central are from Michigan anyway, so why not

BTW, Williamsport, Pennsylvania is supposed to join in 2007

they would probably be in the Eastern Division, with the rumors of Toledo coming in, and Chicago also supposed to get a team, I wouldn't doubt that they would be in the Central, up above is the new re-alignment with Chicago, Williamsport, and Toledo into the fray, Chicag

Well, I do know the UHL bylaws have it set that they can't expand beyond 20 teams....

Williamsport is a definite go for 06-07 (the arena there should be ready in time for that season)...

The Toledo-to-the-U rumors are starting to get some play, as are some ones seeing the Johnstown Chiefs and Wheeling Nailers moving down from the E to the U soon...

Chicago could end up getting a re-located franchise (maybe Quad City if those rumors about the AHL Barons moving there come to pass...also, the folks that run the MARK Of The Quad Cities are also involved into the Chicagoland project)..

Eventually, I think we'll see a 4 division format in the U....here's my take on the 06-07 season (this also discounts any teams going under, like KC (which will be homeless after the 06-07 season) or even Adirondack (nobody knows what Melrose is thinking...he's made some ill-advised comments to the local papers in the North Country about folding the team if attendance doesn't pick up) and also goes with the assumption that the Quad City Mallards jump from the U to the A as San Jose's new affiliate )....

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Eastern Division

Adirondack Frostbite

Danbury Trashers

Elmira Jackals

Williamsport Franchise

Atlantic City or Worcester Franchise (there's been talk of these places getting UHL teams...would make a lot of sense for a possible Eastern Division)

Southern Division

Richmond Riverdogs

Roanoke Franchise

Wheeling Franchise

Toledo Franchise

Johnstown Franchise

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Central Division

Motor City Mechanics

Port Huron Flags

Muskegon Fury

Flint Generals

Kalamazoo Wings

Western Division

Fort Wayne Komets

Missouri River Otters

Chicago Franchise

Kansas City Outlaws

Rockford IceHogs

FANTASY TEAMS

If Toledo joins the UHL next season (or whenever), they should change their name from Storm to Goaldiggers. ;)

Think about it, the UHL would have a mini-70s IHL look to it:

Flint Generals

Kalamazoo Wings

Port Huron Flags

Fort Wayne Komets

Toledo Goaldiggers

Muskegon

Bloodhound.gif

Roanoke hosted 2 games for the Richmond Riverdogs last weekend to give the fans in Roanoke a preview of what is to come. The Port Huron Beacons are relocating to Roanoke after three years, but will be replaced by the new Port Huron Flags. For the two Riverdogs games they were redubbed the Roanoke Riverdogs, and durring one of the games it was announced that the new team will be called the Roanoke Valley Vipers. Intresting choice.

Signature intentionally left blank

I went to the game Saturday night where they announced Roanoke's team name, the UHL commish was there and was quite pissed at the crowd reaction to Vipers. There were a few cheers but the majority of the 3000 people there were booing.

The team colors are black, purple and silver no logo was released. Roanoke Valley didn't bother the people, the Vipers part is what set everyone off. Roanoke is an old railroad town and called the star city of the south. Most of the people around us were hoping for a return of the Rebels, Lancers or the Express the previous ECHL franchise.

I know how Roanoke supports pro sports, the NBDL franchise is on the verge of moving or being removed from the league due to poor attendance, I give 3 years max before the team packs up and moves. The only rival for Roanoke is Richmond, the next closet team is almost 1000 miles away.

I loved going to see the Express take on old ECHL teams like Richmond, Raleigh, Greensboro and the most hated rival Hampton Roads. Everytime they played hampton or richmond it was a sell out, it got so heated a few times the fans got into it with each other. Good old fashioned, ass kicking hockey.

skinsboys4lf7pe.jpg

If I were the Roanoke fans, I wouldn't want the new team to be called Rebels, Lancers or Express. Those are fine names, but I fully expect the Dixons (Vipers owners) to screw up royally in Roanoke like they did in Port Huron.

Hopefully the Vipers logo won't be like the Beacons alternate logo and have a stick shooting out from the snake's groin. :shocked::blink:

Bloodhound.gif

If I were the Roanoke fans, I wouldn't want the new team to be called Rebels, Lancers or Express. Those are fine names, but I fully expect the Dixons (Vipers owners) to screw up royally in Roanoke like they did in Port Huron.

Hopefully the Vipers logo won't be like the Beacons alternate logo and have a stick shooting out from the snake's groin. :shocked::blink:

The Dixon's got booed Saturday night too. The reason why we wanted Lancers and Rebels were because that was Roanoke/Salem/Vinton hockey from the 60's til the early 90's. They started in Salem as the Rebels, moved to Vinton became the Lancers and in the mid 90's moved to Roanoke to become the Express. Moved is a loose term, Roanoke, Vinton and Salem are about 7 miles apart. I live only a few minutes from Salem.

The commish after getting booed, got really offensive after he introduced the team name. He kept saying if you want hockey to survive in Roanoke you need to embrace the Viper name. No you need to make tickets affoardable for local area economy. 10 bucks was the cheapest ticket they had. I have heard stories on the local news about the Dixon family and how impatient they are if they don't get their way with things. Good luck because you have some stiff competition in the fall. High School football, Virginia Tech football, Blacksburg is only 25 miles away, and the new kid on the block Virginia Tech basketball, joining the ACC really put a jolt in their attendence this year.

The announced attendence was 4000 bull crap, 2000 max, there was a salem avalanche game with fireworks and Tech had a scrimmage. Salem drew 5500 Friday night alone. I give them 2 to 3 years max and the Dixon's will be asking to relocate again.

skinsboys4lf7pe.jpg

Hopefully the Vipers logo won't be like the Beacons alternate logo and have a stick shooting out from the snake's groin.  :shocked:  :blink:

The Dixon's got booed Saturday night too. The reason why we wanted Lancers and Rebels were because that was Roanoke/Salem/Vinton hockey from the 60's til the early 90's. They started in Salem as the Rebels, moved to Vinton became the Lancers and in the mid 90's moved to Roanoke to become the Express. Moved is a loose term, Roanoke, Vinton and Salem are about 7 miles apart. I live only a few minutes from Salem.

The commish after getting booed, got really offensive after he introduced the team name. He kept saying if you want hockey to survive in Roanoke you need to embrace the Viper name. No you need to make tickets affoardable for local area economy. 10 bucks was the cheapest ticket they had. I have heard stories on the local news about the Dixon family and how impatient they are if they don't get their way with things. Good luck because you have some stiff competition in the fall. High School football, Virginia Tech football, Blacksburg is only 25 miles away, and the new kid on the block Virginia Tech basketball, joining the ACC really put a jolt in their attendence this year.

The announced attendence was 4000 bull crap, 2000 max, there was a salem avalanche game with fireworks and Tech had a scrimmage. Salem drew 5500 Friday night alone. I give them 2 to 3 years max and the Dixon's will be asking to relocate again.

Wow, talk about getting off to a good start in a new town! :blink: You would think that the commish would think twice before talking like that to a new fanbase. Then again, we're talking about Commissioner Costanza...I mean Brosal. :rolleyes:

I heard that season tickets for the Vipers were as high as $530 on another board. For the UHL, that's ridiculous. I wouldn't pay more than $350 for season tix for Double A hockey.

As for the Dixons, those stories about them are probably true. Don't expect to see the Dixons at a lot of home games, they were consistent no-shows in Port Huron. I wouldn't expect the Vipers to be advertised that much locally either. When questioned about the lack of advertisement for the Beacons, a team rep said something about how they advertised in the Detroit News. That's all fine and dandy, but how about advertising more in the PORT HURON AREA!?

At first, I was disappointed the Beacons didn't use the Flags nickname. Three years later, I'm glad they didn't, as they would have tarnished that name like Dr. Shukairy and Bernard Bubanic did in Saginaw with "Gears". So, it's probably a good thing that the Dixons didn't get their hands on Rebels, Lancers or Express.

I agree, 2-3 years tops, then they'll be on the move again. If that happens, maybe Roanoke will get another chance like PH did. :)

Bloodhound.gif

Hopefully the Vipers logo won't be like the Beacons alternate logo and have a stick shooting out from the snake's groin.  :shocked:  :blink:

Wow, talk about getting off to a good start in a new town! :blink: You would think that the commish would think twice before talking like that to a new fanbase. Then again, we're talking about Commissioner Costanza...I mean Brosal. :rolleyes:

I heard that season tickets for the Vipers were as high as $530 on another board. For the UHL, that's ridiculous. I wouldn't pay more than $350 for season tix for Double A hockey.

As for the Dixons, those stories about them are probably true. Don't expect to see the Dixons at a lot of home games, they were consistent no-shows in Port Huron. I wouldn't expect the Vipers to be advertised that much locally either. When questioned about the lack of advertisement for the Beacons, a team rep said something about how they advertised in the Detroit News. That's all fine and dandy, but how about advertising more in the PORT HURON AREA!?

At first, I was disappointed the Beacons didn't use the Flags nickname. Three years later, I'm glad they didn't, as they would have tarnished that name like Dr. Shukairy and Bernard Bubanic did in Saginaw with "Gears". So, it's probably a good thing that the Dixons didn't get their hands on Rebels, Lancers or Express.

I agree, 2-3 years tops, then they'll be on the move again. If that happens, maybe Roanoke will get another chance like PH did. :)

That's horrible!!! Dude, let me tell u something. One thing that sucks here in Richmond is our price on merchandise. I swear, $90 for a jersey, when it's really worth like $50. $20-$25 for a shirt when it's worth $15. I still buy the stuff, but don't u think it's highway robbery?

Archived