Bourque to the Q

OMMF

Chris Bourque has decided to leave BU and head to Moncton to play in the Q next year.

ESPN article

I'm surprised he didn't join Rimouski to piggyback like his old man

I'm sure the Oceanic would love to have him but Moncton drafted him in 2003.

I think major junior is pretty much considered a step above collegiate hockey in terms of preparing players for the pros, though. I remember when the Flames drafted Chuck Kobasew, they sent him to the Kelowna Rockets instead of back to Boston College, where they drafted him from, so he could play a longer season and get better prepared.

Of course, that meant I didn't hear the end of "Chuck Kobasew is so great" from my roommate while living in Calgary at the time, who was from Kelowna. Granted, he's a nice guy ? I interviewed him once ? but I got sick of hearing her go on and on about him.

Odd is that taking a step down playing against High Schoolers instead of Colligates

Actually, it's more of a lateral move or a slight step up in level of play.

The main advantage is a schedule and lifestyle that prepares young players for life in the pros. Disadvantage is the loss of a first-class education from BU, but he can make that up later in life, I suppose.

I think that's an unfair characterization of one of the greatest, and classiest, men to ever play the game.

When the Avalanche won the Cup in 2001, Ray Bourque played 80 games and put up 59 points, and was a key contributor to their playoff success.

Odd is that taking a step down playing against High Schoolers instead of Colligates

I don't know how many 19-20 year olds you know in High School but in most parts of the country, those are college-aged kids.

I think it's pretty much accepted that CHL>NCAA as far as hockey development goes.

I think that's an unfair characterization of one of the greatest, and classiest, men to ever play the game.

Oh well -- it's what he did... "Trade me to a contender or I'm retiring" -- what do you call it?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Oh well -- it's what he did... "Trade me to a contender or I'm retiring" -- what do you call it?

smart negotiating...... ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

Bourque put in almost 20 full seasons with the Bruins and never asked foranything in return. When the time came, he knew he was going to be traded or retire, all he asked was that he get traded to a contender. Philadelphia or New Jersey were the rumored teams, Colorado came out of nowhere.

So Bourque was traded, the Bruins got players in return, and he eventually won the cup with the Avs.

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone in Boston who think he's a traitor or a selfish person. And I doubt you'd find any Avalanche players who think he piggy backed either. He wasn't a glorified third line defenseman.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

So Bourque was traded, the Bruins got players in return, and he eventually won the cup with the Avs.

Rolston, one of the players whom the Bruins acquired in the trade, was certainly no slouch in Beantown either. It's not like the B's gave up #77 for $ and some PTBNL's.

Oh well -- it's what he did...  "Trade me to a contender or I'm retiring" -- what do you call it?

"Piggybacking" is your interpretation of what he did, and you're further implying that he jumped ship. I disagree.

I think that Ray Bourque is a legendary defenseman and an examplary individual who doesn't deserve the label that you applied to him. He didn't abandon the Bruins, and he didn't tag along for Colorado's victory. He was a key element in their victory.

I think he earned his success, and to deny him the recognition he's entitled to is both ungracious and mean-spirited.

At any rate, if that's your opinion of Ray Bourque, you're certainly entitled to it, Chris, but it seems a pretty harsh judgement when you measure him against most other pro athletes of the modern era.

I don't know how many 19-20 year olds you know in High School but in most parts of the country, those are college-aged kids.

I think it's pretty much accepted that CHL>NCAA as far as hockey development goes.

funny you mention that...when I was a junior in HS, there was this senior girl who was 20. I kid you not (right up Shark's alley too-half Korean). if i hadn't asked, I never woulda known either.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

funny you mention that...when I was a junior in HS, there was this senior girl who was 20. I kid you not (right up Shark's alley too-half Korean). if i hadn't asked, I never woulda known either.

But how was her slapshot? <_<

But how was her slapshot? <_<

no, how was HIS slapshot..... :D

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived