MLB Opening Day Uni Thread

gbasalmon

another observation I might add, that I cant seem to recall anyone mentioning in the past....

to me it appears that the yankees use a thicker pinstripe then all the other pinstriped teams do. From a distance, one can see the pinstripes on the yankees a lot easier then they can on say, the cubs, marlins, white sox, and other pinstripe teams.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My two-cents on the Padres road uni font style: I like it. A lot. It's very distinctive and unique in the sport. I'd actually like them to incorporate something similar for their home uni; I think the home "Padres" font is too feminine.

As for them changing their uniform all the time: there have only been five major changes since their inception. Granted, that's four more than the Doggers during the same period, but only averages out to one every six years. Hell, Euro soccer kits are changed every year or so...once every six years isn't THAT bad, is it??

Well let's see..

1969-1971 the original

1972-1973 all gold

1974-1975 back to white/off-white with cursive font

1976-1977 added brown roads with gold sleeves

1978-1979 changed font on front of jerseys

1980-1984 added burnt orange trim and unis sleeve color matched uniform

1985-1990 deleted gold and changed overall look

1991-2001 changed brown to navy, changed cap and road uniform

2002-2003 dropped pinstripe home uni to solid white, almost completely dropped orange

2004-Present Complete new designs

I'm counting 10 major changes over the course of 36 years. So that's a change every 3-4 years. Only from 1991-2001 did we have a look that lasted 10 years and I think it was our worst look ever. Well, 1978-1979 was pretty bad.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

I don't consider logo changes to be "major." And I had forgotten the all gold '72 uni, so that's six, not five.

1) Original

2) All gold

3) "Taco" hat w/ brown dominating color

4) Brown pins

5) Blue Pins

6) 2004 redesign

All iterations had an interlocking SD on the hat, so there's always been SOME continuity.

another observation I might add, that I cant seem to recall anyone mentioning in the past....

to me it appears that the yankees use a thicker pinstripe then all the other pinstriped teams do. From a distance, one can see the pinstripes on the yankees a lot easier then they can on say, the cubs, marlins, white sox, and other pinstripe teams.

I think you are correct. I read somewhere that the yankees pattern is called a "zig-zag" striping pattern? I'm not sure exactly what this means, but I found this mets uniform site that makes references to them (mets) switching at some point in their history to "the more pronounced zig-zag style pinstripes" and then switching back in the '90s to the "straight pinstripes."

Mets Pinstripe Story

Edit: Not sure if it is coincidence or not, but the teams who's pinstripes go from the sleeves up to the shoulder (current Yankees, Mets pre-mid 90's, Phillies pre '92) seem to employ the thicker stripes. When the Phillies changed their template in '92 the difference in the stripe thickness was the first thing I noticed (other than the obvious other changes.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well let's see..

1969-1971 the original

1972-1973 all gold

1974-1975 back to white/off-white with cursive font

1976-1977 added brown roads with gold sleeves

1978-1979 changed font on front of jerseys

1980-1984 added burnt orange trim and unis sleeve color matched uniform

1985-1990 deleted gold and changed overall look

1991-2001 changed brown to navy, changed cap and road uniform

2002-2003 dropped pinstripe home uni to solid white, almost completely dropped orange

2004-Present Complete new designs

I'm counting 10 major changes over the course of 36 years. So that's a change every 3-4 years. Only from 1991-2001 did we have a look that lasted 10 years and I think it was our worst look ever. Well, 1978-1979 was pretty bad.

I know this wasn't your point (but it gives me an excuse to post this)... When it comes to logos, nobody changes more often the Angels.

Changes in...

Yeah... wow.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

I think you are correct. I read somewhere that the yankees pattern is called a "zig-zag" striping pattern? I'm not sure exactly what this means, but I found this mets uniform site that makes references to them (mets) switching at some point in their history to "the more pronounced zig-zag style pinstripes" and then switching back in the '90s to the "straight pinstripes

I'm betting the zig-zag has to do with the stitching, as around the wordmarks on jerseys there is something of a zig-zag "x" pattern attaching them to the jersey.

Did that make sense?

Every Fifth Day is a

HappyFelixDay.gif

I think you are correct. I read somewhere that the yankees pattern is called a "zig-zag" striping pattern? I'm not sure exactly what this means, but I found this mets uniform site that makes references to them (mets) switching at some point in their history to "the more pronounced zig-zag style pinstripes" and then switching back in the '90s to the "straight pinstripes

I'm betting the zig-zag has to do with the stitching, as around the wordmarks on jerseys there is something of a zig-zag "x" pattern attaching them to the jersey.

Did that make sense?

no, actually I think the zig-zag refers to pinstripes too...a friend of mine has an authentic Jeter home jersey and the pinstripes are in a zigzag pattern

What did they change for 2005? I haven't noticed yet

I think he referring to the name of the team itself (LAAA)

I'm not -- they changed the logo from that A with the blue thing in the background to just the A

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

I'm not -- they changed the logo from that A with the blue thing in the background to just the A

And what an obvious change that was..... :rolleyes:^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

Oh duh. Yeah I'm glad they did the diamond wasn't really important and it might as well just be the Big A.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I thought the letters were black inside that Rockies cap... did they switch that for this year?

According to a New Era ad in the 4/11 ESPN mag showing all of the official game caps, the letters are black inside the Rockies purple cap, FYI. (Of course, they also show the Dodgers' metallic bill alt and the A's black cap, but aren't they still official but never used?)

I thought the letters were black inside that Rockies cap... did they switch that for this year?

According to a New Era ad in the 4/11 ESPN mag showing all of the official game caps, the letters are black inside the Rockies purple cap, FYI. (Of course, they also show the Dodgers' metallic bill alt and the A's black cap, but aren't they still official but never used?)

I know one thing, I actually liked the Dodgers' alt blues, hat included. the A's black, not so much as their presence made absolutely no sense.

for some reason, the CR on the purple hat in that ad looks purplish to me (probably black but it sorta looks purplish nonetheless)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived