Who should be this y ears NBA MVP

Gary

I'd like to know who your choice for the Most Valuable Player for the NBA would be this year. You can pretty much already call it a 2-man race for the award, but who would you say is the MVP this year. Steve Nash from the Phoenix Suns who is also Canadas own, and Shaq of the Miami Heat are the 2 men who are pretty much the favorites right now. But there is also Tim Duncan as well, so tell me who you think should be MVP!

I really don't like either of those two as MVP. But of those two, Shaq.

The Phoenix suns are loaded -- I don't think a PG should get the MVP when 3 of the players on his team could rip a team apart on any given night -- and his team can shoot the 3 ball as good as they can.

IUe6Hvh.png

I think Shaq wins this year in a very competitive MVP Field. He and Wade have carried an otherwise mediocre Heat team to first place in the East.

1. Shaq

2. Steve Nash

3. Dirk Nowitzki

4. LeBron James

5. Tim Duncan

oubrutus.jpg

2qi7psy.gif

when you're replacing an old Carr, you need more than Les Miles

The Phoenix suns are loaded -- I don't think a PG should get the MVP when 3 of the players on his team could rip a team apart on any given night -- and his team can shoot the 3 ball as good as they can.

But really... 29-53 one year, to 55-17 the next?

The Miami Heat finished above .500 last year without Shaq.

Plus, wouldn't you say the improved play and 3-point stats would have something to do with a point guard's ability to distribute the rock and make the rest of the players on the floor better?

I have to say Nash. Everyone knew Shaq would dominate the somewhat weak Eastern Conference big men.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

But Nash wasn't the only addition to the Suns. Quentin Richardson was a big addition for the Suns too -- which is a reason for being such a good 3 point shooting team. And adding somebody like him gives yet another person to focus on -- so Marion doesn't get as much attention from the defense. Plus, they have some very good shooters coming off the bench. In Addition to that -- Amare Stoudemire has improved greatly over that time.

IUe6Hvh.png

Will Win: Shaw

Should Win(imo):Nash

plus hes Canadian so he gets extra bonus points :flagcanada:

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

But really... 29-53 one year, to 55-17 the next?

The Miami Heat finished above .500 last year without Shaq.

Plus, wouldn't you say the improved play and 3-point stats would have something to do with a point guard's ability to distribute the rock and make the rest of the players on the floor better?

I have to say Nash. Everyone knew Shaq would dominate the somewhat weak Eastern Conference big men.

plus, the fact that when Nash is on the IL for a few games the Suns have struggled on the court and have gone on losing streaks. But when Shaq is on the IL the Heat have won a few games and gone on winning streaks. Plus with the size and skill of Shaq you were going to expect it anyways.

As far as last years records? The Heat were only a few games away from winning the Atlantic last year while Phoenix was only a game out of last place. So I will say that the Heat were a good team that got only better, but the Suns were a struggling young team that made them sensational.

My prediction would be which player on the team that has the better record. I wonder who remembers the Rookie of the Year a couple years ago with Amare vs Yao?

But Nash wasn't the only addition to the Suns. Quentin Richardson was a big addition for the Suns too -- which is a reason for being such a good 3 point shooting team. And adding somebody like him gives yet another person to focus on -- so Marion doesn't get as much attention from the defense. Plus, they have some very good shooters coming off the bench. In Addition to that -- Amare Stoudemire has improved greatly over that time.

But by that reasoning, wouldn't you have to figure in the players the Heat have added?

In the end, the difference in records (and placement in standings) is a really telling stat.

'Course, that's also why the NBA MVP selection is not a scientific process.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I narrowed it down, like many, to Shaq and Nash. Then I asked myself, "Where would they be without either?"

Miami: Probably the 6th Seed in the Playoffs

Phoenix: Miss the playoffs entirely

So, using that logic, Steve Nash is my MVP.

But Nash wasn't the only addition to the Suns.  Quentin Richardson was a big addition for the Suns too -- which is a reason for being such a good 3 point shooting team.  And adding somebody like him gives yet another person to focus on -- so Marion doesn't get as much attention from the defense.  Plus, they have some very good shooters coming off the bench.  In Addition to that -- Amare Stoudemire has improved greatly over that time.

But by that reasoning, wouldn't you have to figure in the players the Heat have added?

In the end, the difference in records (and placement in standings) is a really telling stat.

But I also said that I don't like Shaq as the MVP either, I'd just choose him if I had to choose between the two.

Earlier you said that it shouldn't be Shaq because in a weak Eastern Conference, the Heat were expected to be dominant. The conference was weak last year, too -- if the Heat were in the Western Conference, playing a Western Conference schedule, they probably wouldn't have made the playoffs, last year. Additionally -- the Heat lost 3 key players in getting Shaq, so it wasn't just adding a good player to last years team -- they had to lose talent in the process. They lost Odom who was 17 points, 9 rebounds, and 4 assists per game, Brian grant who was about 8, 6, and 1, and Caron Butler who is 15, 6, and 2 this year.

Similarly, the Suns would've had a better record in the Eastern Conference last year, and would've competed for a playoff spot. They added not only Steve Nash, but Quentin Richardson who averaged 17 points the year before and is averaging 15 this year. Add that to an improved Amare Stoudemire (and lilg, yes, he is improved), and a situation in which defenses can't zone in on Marion, plus good shooters off the bench -- of course the Suns are going to be dramatically improved.

Oh, and that big man in Miami plays a little bit of defense, unlike Steve Nash.

IUe6Hvh.png

But Nash wasn't the only addition to the Suns.  Quentin Richardson was a big addition for the Suns too -- which is a reason for being such a good 3 point shooting team.  And adding somebody like him gives yet another person to focus on -- so Marion doesn't get as much attention from the defense.  Plus, they have some very good shooters coming off the bench.  In Addition to that -- Amare Stoudemire has improved greatly over that time.

But I also said that I don't like Shaq as the MVP either, I'd just choose him if I had to choose between the two.

Earlier you said that it shouldn't be Shaq because in a weak Eastern Conference, the Heat were expected to be dominant. The conference was weak last year, too -- if the Heat were in the Western Conference, playing a Western Conference schedule, they probably wouldn't have made the playoffs, last year. Additionally -- the Heat lost 3 key players in getting Shaq, so it wasn't just adding a good player to last years team -- they had to lose talent in the process. They lost Odom who was 17 points, 9 rebounds, and 4 assists per game, Brian grant who was about 8, 6, and 1, and Caron Butler who is 15, 6, and 2 this year.

Similarly, the Suns would've had a better record in the Eastern Conference last year, and would've competed for a playoff spot. They added not only Steve Nash, but Quentin Richardson who averaged 17 points the year before and is averaging 15 this year. Add that to an improved Amare Stoudemire (and lilg, yes, he is improved), and a situation in which defenses can't zone in on Marion, plus good shooters off the bench -- of course the Suns are going to be dramatically improved.

Oh, and that big man in Miami plays a little bit of defense, unlike Steve Nash.

yes that may be true, but Shaq is nothing but a Defensive Machine anyways. He may score points but he's more of in the paint shooter. Without Nash and his assists the Suns would have not been as much as improved than he is now. Right now he would have to be the best Point Guard out there. So if you think about it, without him and his assists, the Suns wouldn't have been as good. Quentin Richardson may be have been a great addition, but we all know that Nash was the one who made them what they are right now. Believe it or not, but they do have a losing record without Nash, the same goes to Heat and Shaq. So it will be a tough choice for the people voting this year. If I had my choice, and i'm not being a homer, i'd pick Nash. But Shaq would be a very close second

yes that may be true, but Shaq is nothing but a Defensive Machine anyways.  He may score points but he's more of in the paint shooter.  Without Nash and his assists the Suns would have not been as much as improved than he is now.  Right now he would have to be the best Point Guard out there.  So if you think about it, without him and his assists, the Suns wouldn't have been as good.  Quentin Richardson may be have been a great addition, but we all know that Nash was the one who made them what they are right now.  Believe it or not, but they do have a losing record without Nash, the same goes to Heat and Shaq.  So it will be a tough choice for the people voting this year.  If I had my choice, and i'm not being a homer, i'd pick Nash.  But Shaq would be a very close second

Most big men are paint shooters.

And a good defensive player can't be league MVP becaaaaause...?

When the Suns get knocked out of the playoffs because they can't play defense, you'll be wishing you had a player that could play defense. And I don't think Nash is the best PG in the league -- not every PG in the league has his choice of Marion, Richardson, or Stoudemire to get the ball to and atleast 2 very good 3 point shooters on the floor at all times.

And even if Nash was the best PG in the league... Shaq is the most dominant player in the league. Without him, the Heat would be relying on a 2nd year player to carry the team -- meanwhile the Suns would have their choice of Marion, Amare, or Q.

Oh, and here's a funny article on the matter.

The Race for MVP

Put it this way: If Nash won the MVP, it would be ...

A. The first time a table-setter won the award.

B. The first time a non-franchise player won the award.

C. The first time a complete liability on the defensive end won the award

IUe6Hvh.png

Nash is more valuable to his{/I] team but Shaq is still the MVP in my opinion.

okay, how can Shaq be MVP this season, if you think Nash is more Valuable?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Steve Nash has helped the Suns more than Shaq has helped the Heat, mainly because of Dwayne Wade, but Shaq is the better player.

But what do I know? My MVP vote is for Antawn Jamison :blink:

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

Archived