Old Mets Alt.

bterreson

Yikes. Playing with a white hat in DC, Atlanta or Miami, you'll see a piss-yellow color stain by 4th inning.

Are you implying that the players will sweat-stain their hats in short time, or that someone in the bleachers is gonna take a leak on the visiting left fielder's head?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know, I bet someone at Wrigley who was feeling "adventurous" by say, the 7th inning, could relieve himself on an Astro or Cardinal.

But somebody taking a leak in Monument Park would be the best and worst moment in baseball history.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

the red sox did the white hat thing a couple of years back for sunday afternoon home games i guess it never really caught on but i bought one for my dad on fathers day that year and he still sports it.

I too had one of those Sox white hats, and wish I still did... I thought they were sharp.

Moose

I remember when the Mets introduced black into the color scheme and Shea had a big "Mets In Black" sign marketing the addition of black with the movie "Men In Black" whose final scene occured in Flushing Meadows Park. I wish they'd just get rid of the black already.

Hey I see your Cubs banner. Go piss on Berkman's head this summer.

The only time I'll see the Cubs this year will be in Atlanta... Now I will see the 'Stros twice, in Houston once, and in Cincy once... Something I'll have to think about...

Moose

As a lifelong Mets fan from way back (I cried as a 7-year old when my grandmother told me Seaver was traded to the Reds), I disagree with the majority of the board when it comes to the current Mets set of uniforms.

That old White alt. was downright hideous, almost as bad as the swoosh Mets and New York uniforms (What was the bigger cause of the Mets downfall: Those uniforms or Vince Coleman?). :)

The current sets, with and without black are perfect, in my opinion they are the best sets they ever had. As others have stated, I always thought the black worked, since the Mets colors were supposed to come from the Brooklyn Dodgers (Royal Blue and white) and the New York Giants (Orange and Black).

My favorites of the current set remain the traditional pinstripe white homes (worn way too little), and the road grays.

[An aside on the road grays: I had an old #41 from the early 1970s, a hand-me down from a cousin. One time at Shea in the mid 1980s, one of the press guys saw me wearing it outside the turnstiles and shouted to the crowd, "That's what a Mets road jersey is supposed to look like." I could not put it better...

As for the 1986 sets, hated the "racing stripes", and "Mets" on the road uniforms.

For the record, I've still got that #41; along with a Mookie Wilson #1 jersey of the current non-pinstriped white home uniforms.

Sorry to ramble; just my two cents worth. :)

The current sets, with and without black are perfect, in my opinion they are the best sets they ever had. As others have stated, I always thought the black worked,

I wouldn't have so big of a problem with the mets' current black alternates so long as the "Mets" wordmark along the front was the traditional, no-drop-shadow, one they've rocked for the majority of their existence.

And maybe it's just nostalgia, but I love the 80's orange-and-blue racing stripes along the shoulders.

One more thing, I'm also not totally against the 80's style, no-button, softball style jerseys. I think the mets are one of the few teams that could pull it off.

I kinda liked those Reds' pinstriped hats. Reminds me of the early 60's with Joey Jay and Vada Pinson. I had forgotten that the Pirates used the gray for a while. They did look good. Looking at the photos I still seem to really like the Royals' gray but somehow don't like the look on the O's. I have some faint memory that maybe the grays didn't match as well, with the hats being just a smidge lighter than the unis. I could be wrong.

Archived