Washington Nats concept

boricuahitman

As and Ms, which are both words

Ms is a word?

Yes, it's pronounced "mizz" and is a title used in place of Miss or Mrs. Normally it has a period at the end, but sometimes not.

It's also the postal code for Mississippi. If the Mariners went around calling themselves the Ms, people would think they're from Jackson. That's scary.

Nat's is acceptable, even if it looks weird...

the punctuation is used to show that certain letters were omitted.

Only if you're writing in very informal shorthand. Like spelling "thru" or saying "gov't." It's lazy writing for lazy people.

I defy you to come up with a legitimate example, in proper English.

Nat's is acceptable, even if it looks weird...

the punctuation is used to show that certain letters were omitted.

Only if you're writing in very informal shorthand. Like spelling "thru" or saying "gov't." It's lazy writing for lazy people.

I defy you to come up with a legitimate example, in proper English.

but since when was baseball worried about legitimate proper english?

they have 2 teams that spell the word socks with an X... i think an apostrophe to show omitted letters is a minor sin, considering :)

Hey, that Apostrophe Protection Society brings up one of my favorite mis-uses of the apostrophe, to wit:

... but please note that the possessive form of it does not take an apostrophe any more than ours, yours or hers do:

the bone is in its mouth

I edit lots of text in my job, and MAN does that one come up a lot. Drives me bananas.

That, and "the 50's", "the 60's", etc. If you spell it out, it's "fifties", "sixties", but when you use a number, an apostrophe jumps in?

Sheesh. :cursing:

It is what it is.

Do any of you remember the Syracuse Nationals of the NBA? They're now the Sixers. But their jerseys always had the script "Nats" on them, no apostophe. Everyone just called them "the Nats" and probably never gave a thought to the fact they were actually the "Nationals." So the use of "Nats" with no punctuation is hereby deemed as correct by long-standing precedent.

Also the original Nationals/Senators baseball team was always referred to as the "Nats" by the media because it was the real name of the club. I don't beleive the Griffith family began using "SENATORS" until 1959. Check it out.

To prove the point that it is acceptable in "proper English" to use an apostrophe to replace letter is ridiculous, as the most proper, formal English is almost completely devoid of contractions and abbreviations in the first place. Since when are sports teams obligated to follow "proper English" anyway? If you want an example in common, but still correct, English, how about the ever popular Anytown High School "Fightin' _____" sports team. Sorry to say, but there is more than one correct way to write just about everything in English. That said, I do not like apostrophes, so I like "Nats."

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived