Webdav challenge comment thread

GMS1122

If one of the next contests is for a different Charlotte basketball identity, then maybe this will make an encore appearance.

Hate to be a pedant, but North Carolina was in the Confederacy, so you would have a tough choice to make if you used the soldier idea, either a union soldier in a confederate state, or a politically dangerous (particularly given the ownership of the Charlotte franchise!!) confederate soldier! But anyway thats way off topic, your design IMO is one of, if not the, best designs in the competition and while the name is excellent it doesnt work in LA, otherwise my vote would have gone to you!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

When looking at the total package, and not the quality of the logo done, but the concept and the uniform, I only feel that one uniform would meet NFL standards. That is the LA Stars. We always criticize new logos and uniforms as being over the top and too different, yet we vote for the Condors. Is it because it was done well, or is it because if there was a vote on the logos and uniforms for the new expansion team, that is the logo you would want? The Stars has two play on words, both the celebrities in the LA area, and the Stars name/ sun logo, since a sun is a star, and it is always warm in LA. The colors are different, but the uniform is plain. And it was noted earlier that the best way for an expansion team to go is pretty plain, like the Texans did.

When looking at the total package, and not the quality of the logo done, but the concept and the uniform, I only feel that one uniform would meet NFL standards. That is the LA Stars. We always criticize new logos and uniforms as being over the top and too different, yet we vote for the Condors. Is it because it was done well, or is it because if there was a vote on the logos and uniforms for the new expansion team, that is the logo you would want? The Stars has two play on words, both the celebrities in the LA area, and the Stars name/ sun logo, since a sun is a star, and it is always warm in LA. The colors are different, but the uniform is plain. And it was noted earlier that the best way for an expansion team to go is pretty plain, like the Texans did.

But, Webdav made it clear that this is a name and logo contest, not a uni contest.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

But, Webdav made it clear that this is a name and logo contest, not a uni contest.

I did not see where it was specifically stated that uniforms couldn't be included in a submission.

I did not see where it was specifically stated that uniforms couldn't be included in a submission.

They can be, but when he originally started the contest it was stated it is for logos. The uniforms and anything else can be thrown in to spruce up your design and give it more quality.

Again this comes up. I believe we discussed this last month, and webdav ruled that you should not be prevented from going the extra mile and including uniforms. While I agree you shouldn't be prevented from going the extra mile, should we consider it a contest for identities, or maintain it as a logos contest?

Hate to be a pedant, but North Carolina was in the Confederacy, so you would have a tough choice to make if you used the soldier idea, either a union soldier in a confederate state, or a politically dangerous (particularly given the ownership of the Charlotte franchise!!) confederate soldier! But anyway thats way off topic, your design IMO is one of, if not the, best designs in the competition and while the name is excellent it doesnt work in LA, otherwise my vote would have gone to you!

Saintsfan, thanks for the history lesson and the compliment. I appreciate them both. I guess it'd be like if an anglophone brought an expansion team to Quebec, called them the Musketeers or something, and put a Union Jack on there. Next contest, I'll do a little more homework. (I did do some... but only on the cavalry uniform, not on locations and events... I consider myself relatively informed, and am embarrassed I didn't realize my Civil War-era soldier would've felt out of place on the Pacific coast.)

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Technically speaking California was in the Union, as it joined in 1850, however I dont think many Californians took part in the Civil War, (Bit far to go and in the wrong direction- away from the gold!! (Although obviously the great gold ruch of 1849 had died down, as those of you who have seen Gangs of New York might be aware, California was still seen as a destination to escape the war, and violence in general!)

And yes you can all call me Professor Saintsfan if you want!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived