MLB jerseys

EagleFan344

Authentic:

pMLB2-1826874dt.jpg

Replica:

p118120dt.jpg

By the looks of it, not much, aside from the price. Probably missing a sleeve patch here and there; maybe a few different fabrics and cuts. I know, with NBA jerseys, some of the replicas are missing piping in places and other design elements, and are usually screen printed rather than embroidered.

At least for the Phillies, the script is a heavier weight material with a textured look / feel, as opposed to standard twill. It is actually very noticable when you look at an auth right next to a rep.

Also, on many (not all) of the replicas, the space inside the "P" is filled in white.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It's hard to tell anymore... I mean, even last year you'd have Russell's Authentics (Made in the US) and then they'd have replicas (typically made in Asia somewhere) and then Majestic would have replicas, too ... which is why I generally don't trust their product.

For years, majestic couldn't get the same blue that the Mariners use, so their navy alternates looked more purpleish. I don't know so much about the current darker ones. They also (at least used to) cut the script out a little bit differently, which is something you probably couldn't tell from far away, but I'm a snob like that.

But now that majestic is making all of them, I have no idea.

Every Fifth Day is a

HappyFelixDay.gif

Besides sleeve patches I did notice one difference which probably only applies to Yankees Authentics v. replicas. The pinstripes on an Authentic have a jagged edge done with white thread on the edge of each stripe. The replicas have plain pinstripes and lack the jagged edge.

The cardinals use chain stitching in their authentics while the replicas are regular tackletwill or embrodery. (I've seen both tackletwill and embrodery, infact I have one of each. Haven't gotten an authentic yet, next on my list)

Fabric weights are different in all.

Patches are exactly as on the field in authentics. (see Cardinals Road where the replicas usually have a white outline around teh whole thing while the authentics do not, Red Sox lettering)

Authentic away jerseys are all the same grey (well except year to year and manufacture to manufacture) while there are a few different shades of grey used On the field.

MLB logo on back.

The differences also depend on the teams. Many have been mentioned, but the Red Sox have big a difference?the replica script is not the same as the authentic.

For the authentic, the Red Sox script is slightly condensed, the spikes are exaggerated, and the hole inside the R almost looks like the letter B.

For the replica, the script letters are fatter, more rounded, and the hole inside the R is a circle.

The same descriptions apply to the Boston road script as well.

Oddly enough, for the authentic batting and St. Patrick's Day spring training jerseys, the team uses the Replica script instead of the authentic. The replica script is also used on the official logo.

Back-to-BackΒ Fatal FortyΒ Champion 2015 & 2016

The cardinals use chain stitching in their authentics while the replicas are regular tackletwill or embrodery.Β  (I've seen both tackletwill and embrodery, infact I have one of each.Β  Haven't gotten an authentic yet, next on my list)

The Astros also use chainstitching. When they changed their jerseys to the current style, they used tackle twill. The older ones I have are tackle twill and the newest one I have is chainstitched. I prefer the chainstitched one by a LOT.

Chainstitch:

Jersey%20Chainstitch.jpg

Tackle Twill:

Jersey%20Tackle%20Twill.jpg

Also, the body on an authentic jerseys is longer than that of a replica. I actually had mine shortened so they don't look ridiculous when they are untucked.

AstrosTransitionsSig.gif

Yeah on the MLB.com shop you can really see how long they are:

p945790dt.jpg

Pretty ridiculous. Actually the same thing as with authentic NHL jersey arms: they are WAY too big when you aren't wearing pads underneath. I took both of them to a tailor and had them redone to a normal size. $10 well spent.

AstrosTransitionsSig.gif

The cardinals use chain stitching in their authentics while the replicas are regular tackletwill or embrodery.Β  (I've seen both tackletwill and embrodery, infact I have one of each.Β  Haven't gotten an authentic yet, next on my list)

The Astros also use chainstitching. When they changed their jerseys to the current style, they used tackle twill. The older ones I have are tackle twill and the newest one I have is chainstitched. I prefer the chainstitched one by a LOT.

Chainstitch:

Jersey%20Chainstitch.jpg

Tackle Twill:

Jersey%20Tackle%20Twill.jpg

Also, the body on an authentic jerseys is longer than that of a replica. I actually had mine shortened so they don't look ridiculous when they are untucked.

Yes, that is how the Phillies authentics are.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It's common knowledge of trying to figure out if a diamond is real with a mirror.

It's pretty much the same thing with the jerseys.

Try sliding into 2nd base with a replica jersey. It'll probably all ripped up.

With an authentic jersey, it won't rip. Same material for the pants.

Unless a pitbull got on the field and bit Bonds in the ass. :rolleyes:

For the Cubs homes, no patch and the logo has a white outline on the replica that isn't there on the authentic. For the alt, I think the difference is the walking cub logo isn't cut out completely (there's a white background).

from the road replicas i've seen, the CHICAGO lettering seems slightly different for some reason-I wanna say it's that the authentic version has more of an arch and the replicas have it in more of an arc.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🀬

As far as the pinstripes on the Yankees authentic being "jagged" this comes from the way that the warp-knit fabric is made. I think most of your replicas have their pinstripes put on by dye sublimation. One sure way to tell, on a knitted-in pinstripe you can see the stripes on the inside of the jersey. On a sublimated shirt the inside is solid white. Anybody ever see a sublimated hockey shirt? The inside is always white, no matter whatthe primary jersey color is. :D:PB)

Archived