N.O. Hornets may be looking at a change...

B-Rich

The Hornets this year hired a new marketing guy who was formerly with the Houston Rockets, and who oversaw their recent design change (which occured in conjunction with the move to the Toyota Center). There has been some discussion around town that he may be pushing towards a change in the team's colors/unis/logos, maybe even nickname change?

After I went to the Hornets game last night, I think there's probably some truth to this.

Before home games, the Hornets close off the street running between the Arena and the Superdome to have a little pre-game warm-up party. Live band, dollar beer, portable ball court for the teens, games and balloon animals for the kids, etc. Anyway, yesterday evening there was a table set up with cards and strips of varying colors, manned by a badged ?research analyst? working for the Hornets. I talked with him, and he said the Hornets were gauging fan interest in color schemes for a possible change to the uniforms and such. He was asking fans to put together color combos that they using the cards and strips. We talked at length about possible changes, and he noted that a LOT of people wanted to go back to the old N.O. Jazz scheme of purple, green, gold and white. My girls and I fooled around with the cards, gave him a few combos and told him some of our thoughts. He was taking copious notes, and appeared to really know his stuff. One of the card colors was metallic gold, and we were talking about how metallic gold is barely used in the NBA, and no teams use it as a primary uniform color, while it is used that way in several college teams (Vandy, Ga. Tech, Purdue). I could only recall that the Wizards used a form of "metallic" gold, and he pointed out (correctly) that the new Cavs unis and logos use a similar gold trim.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. Anyone else ever see this kind of fan study being done?

It is what it is.

i thought they were still the charlotte hornets.

anyway im not sure if they need to change names or not, maybe change the logo/color scheme to fit NO. maybe like what the old utah jazz wore. i wouldn't mind seeing a scheme of gold, gold (not the mustard kind but the dark metallic) is severly underused.

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

I think teal with purple-gold-green trim is just fine. Maybe they can wear teal at home and on the road since there's usually enough contrast between teal and the other color. If not they can wear gold.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

They and the Jazz need to switch names, and everything would be kosher. Utah, being the Beehive State, would definitely be more befitting of the name Hornets, and the Jazz moniker could return to its home.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

ive never heard this arguement before...wait.

its not going to happen, the utah franchise wont give up brand recognition just because of logic. It would be confusing for the casual fan.

but a new scheme or name is necessary for that team, they look like they are about to die.

its not going to happen, the utah franchise wont give up brand recognition just because of logic.  It would be confusing for the casual fan.

but a new scheme or name is necessary for that team, they look like they are about to die.

For the Jazz? Heck yeah, as the Utahns would say, they do. They took the Utah color scheme out of the logo and put them in rec league uniforms with scripts and fonts out of MS Word. I hope someone puts them back in either the New Orleans holdovers or the Utah uniforms.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

its not going to happen, the utah franchise wont give up brand recognition just because of logic.  It would be confusing for the casual fan.

For the Jazz? Heck yeah, as the Utahns would say, they do. They took the Utah color scheme out of the logo and put them in rec league uniforms with scripts and fonts out of MS Word. I hope someone puts them back in either the New Orleans holdovers or the Utah uniforms.

i actually am in the minority who really like the jazz (or yazz as i non-affectionately call them) unis, and only because the two prior styles made my eyes vomit diarehha.

The hornets unis are what i was referring to, they are as terrible as pat o'brien after irish eggnog 5 at the insider christmas party

Black, yellow, and burnt orange.

those are the actual colors of a hornet.

Yeah, but other than the Chicago Bears, what team uses colors of their real-world mascot?

Bears are navy blue and orange??

Black, yellow, and burnt orange.

those are the actual colors of a hornet.

Yeah, but other than the Chicago Bears, what team uses colors of their real-world mascot?

Bears are navy blue and orange??

^Exactly what I was thinking.

Anyway, the Hornets can just do whatever, they will still suck.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

I'm actually in New Orleans right now...for a conference that my wife and I have been frantically preparing for for over six months...this thing has been sucking the life out of us...

(B-Rich - I'm at the New Orleans Marriott on Canal St. if you're curious)

But, I would gladly welcome an identity change for the Hornets...I really think they need an image overhaul...certainly update that cartoon mascot logo if nothing else...

Archived