Anybody seen the grass at Shea?

marlinfan

Cool. Looks nice.

Can anyone PLEASE explain why the grass at SBC Park looks so plain? (I was even thinking mabie they had put fieldturf in a season or two ago)

It seems like ever since they opened that ballpark the groundskeepers have chosen not to cut the grass in any type of pattern.

I don't know. I never smoked AstroTurf. ~Tug McGraw, when asked if he preferred grass or artificial turf.

Can anyone PLEASE explain why the grass at SBC Park looks so plain? (I was even thinking mabie they had put fieldturf in a season or two ago)

It seems like ever since they opened that ballpark the groundskeepers have chosen not to cut the grass in any type of pattern.

nope. no pattern mowed into the grass at SBC Park. that was by the request of Giants CEO Peter Magowan.

doesn't bother me, and it shouldnt bother anyone else.

Thanks for posting those great pics guys.

Anyone else notice how in Tank's pic, it sort of looks like the ground's crew added an embroidered-style outline?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Can anyone PLEASE explain why the grass at SBC Park looks so plain?  (I was even thinking mabie they had put fieldturf in a season or two ago)

nope. no pattern mowed into the grass at SBC Park. that was by the request of Giants CEO Peter Magowan.

doesn't bother me, and it shouldnt bother anyone else.

Yeah, that is correct oh mighty Giants fan. Magowan wanted it all one way so the grass did react ala Astroturf. Learned that from the ballpark tour. It's mowed one way so it can get to the wall faster. According to the tour, the "checkerboard" style usually seen, or the striped mowing in multiple directions which causes the ball to slow down. What the Giants did is left it all one way to stretch the distance of the ball, and in "Death Valley" or "Triple's Alley" in right center field, that is huge. Where balls into the 421 section are normally triples if an outfielder doesn't cut it off right away.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Y'know, someone wrote a book about how to "design" grass by cutting it, and for the life of me I've not been able to find it. Anyone know the title/author?

there was a small article in maxim I think once.

Archived