N.M. gets two ABA teams

gosioux76

This shouldn't be surprising news. But being in New Mexico, i was interested to hear that the state will host two ABA franchises -- one in Gallup, one in Santa Fe. The Gallup Talons and New Mexico Style are expected to be crossstate rivals.

http://www.abalive.com/news/releases/?newsid=2005041206002

With this news, I decided to look at the league's expansion list for next year. I counted 39 new teams. Add that to the 33 teams this year and you've got one big league with bad logos.

So, I take it that the all-Native American team never happened...

No, that seemed to fail before it even started. There was a bunch of controversy over the owner. I read a while back in the Arizona Republic a story saying he collected try-out fees from potential players, but then kept canceling or rescheduling the try-outs.

Here are the new teams for next year:

San Antonio Stallions

Buffalo Rapids

North Carolina Renegades(Raleigh-Durham)

Miami Pit Bulls

Reno Rockers-were originally to play in 2004.

Queens Kings(origionally to be the Brooklyn Heat)

Toledo Ice

New Orleans Blues

Rochester Razor Sharks(Originally were to be the Razorbacks)(NY)

Arizona Rhinos(Phoenix)(supposedly named after one of their sponsors)

San Jose Sky Rockets

Lake Charles(Louisiana) Hurricanes

Valley Legends(San Fernando Valley, CA)(President and Head coach is former NBA player Gary Grant)

Gallup(NMX) Talons

Northeast Pennsylvania Breakers(Scranton/Wilkes-Barre)

Minneapolis/St.Paul Slamma Jammas(not only are they the Slamma Jammas but they are Minneapolis/St.Paul and not Minnesota!)

Indianapolis Alley Cats

California Terminators(another Los Angeles area team, hmm wonder who they are named after?!)

Edmonton Cheetahs(not on ABA website, but on Our Sports Central)

San Francisco Pilots

New Mexico Style(Santa Fe)

Bellingham Slam(Washington state)- orginally to play in Everett

Newark Express

Tampa Bay Tornados

Calgary Drillers- who started late, played 11 games, then announced they were no longer playing the rest of the season and will return in 2005.

as well as teams in:

Portland Oregon- replaces the Portland Reign who folded midseason last year

Charleston South Carolina- last had the Charleston Lowgators NBDL

Birmingham Alabama- who also has the new Magic City Court Kings in the spring WBA set to begin this year

Orlando Florida- home of the NBA Magic

Norfolk Virginia- last team was the ABA Hampton Roads Titans in 2000, they never played.

Cleveland Ohio-home of the NBA Cavaliers

Baltimore Maryland-last had the Baltimore Bay Runners of the IBL in 1999-00

Long Island New York- last team was the ABA New York Express in 2000, they never played.

Montreal Quebec- closest ABA team is Boston!

Chattanooga Tennessee- last team was WBA Chattanooga Majic in 2004, they never played.

Columbus Ohio- last had the CBA Columbus Horizon back in the early 90s

Savannah Georgia- had the Savannah Spirits in the CBA a long time ago

Jacksonville Florida-replaces the Jacksonville Wave who folded after about 3 games last season

Austin Texas- Who just got a NBDL team

Mobile Alabama- last had the NBDL Mobile Revelers

Greenville South Carolina- last had the NBDL Greenville Groove, just got the South Carolina Heat, WBA spring team.

Honolulu Hawaii- long way for travel

Mexico City Mexico- also a long way for travel

Naples/Fort Myers Florida- home of the NBDL Florida Flame

Vancouver British Columbia- origionally to come in 2004, but decided to hold off till 2005.

Cincinnati Ohio- replacing the Cincinnati Monarchs , who barely played last season.

But surprisingly they are losing a few teams

Arkansas Rim Rockers- the Champions are leaving to join the NBDL, not official yet.

Mississippi Stingers- joining the WBA spring league, replacing the Jackson Rage who folded.

There are sure to be more folding, and others already folded midseason(like Philadelphia who were originally the Squires, becoming the Fusion before the season and changing to Colonials midseason and folded without ever playing a game.)

DID YOU GET ALL THAT??? CUZ IM NOT REPEATING IT!!!!

Signature intentionally left blank

I could say something about how big of a joke the current ABA is, but they do a fine and dandy job of that by themselves. anybody wanna bet the league's done in the next two years?

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

anybody wanna bet the league's done in the next two years?

I'll bet, but only because Joe Newman's awarded so many franchises, at least enough of 'em are bound to survive that long to keep things going. Throw enough plop on the wall, and some will stick.

Maybe we should organize a hockey league using this premise... award hockey franchises at $10K per... we could probably pocket some green before the thing folds up.

nav-logo.png

Here are the new teams for next year:

San Antonio Stallions

Buffalo Rapids

North Carolina Renegades(Raleigh-Durham)

Miami Pit Bulls

Reno Rockers-were originally to play in 2004.

Queens Kings(origionally to be the Brooklyn Heat)

Toledo Ice

New Orleans Blues

Rochester Razor Sharks(Originally were to be the Razorbacks)(NY)

Arizona Rhinos(Phoenix)(supposedly named after one of their sponsors)

San Jose Sky Rockets

Lake Charles(Louisiana) Hurricanes

Valley Legends(San Fernando Valley, CA)(President and Head coach is former NBA player Gary Grant)

Gallup(NMX) Talons

Northeast Pennsylvania Breakers(Scranton/Wilkes-Barre)

Minneapolis/St.Paul Slamma Jammas(not only are they the Slamma Jammas but they are Minneapolis/St.Paul and not Minnesota!)

Indianapolis Alley Cats

California Terminators(another Los Angeles area team, hmm wonder who they are named after?!)

Edmonton Cheetahs(not on ABA website, but on Our Sports Central)

San Francisco Pilots

New Mexico Style(Santa Fe)

Bellingham Slam(Washington state)- orginally to play in Everett

Newark Express

Tampa Bay Tornados

Calgary Drillers- who started late, played 11 games, then announced they were no longer playing the rest of the season and will return in 2005.

as well as teams in:

Portland Oregon- replaces the Portland Reign who folded midseason last year

Charleston South Carolina- last had the Charleston Lowgators NBDL

Birmingham Alabama- who also has the new Magic City Court Kings in the spring WBA set to begin this year

Orlando Florida- home of the NBA Magic

Norfolk Virginia- last team was the ABA Hampton Roads Titans in 2000, they never played.

Cleveland Ohio-home of the NBA Cavaliers

Baltimore Maryland-last had the Baltimore Bay Runners of the IBL in 1999-00

Long Island New York- last team was the ABA New York Express in 2000, they never played.

Montreal Quebec- closest ABA team is Boston!

Chattanooga Tennessee- last team was WBA Chattanooga Majic in 2004, they never played.

Columbus Ohio- last had the CBA Columbus Horizon back in the early 90s

Savannah Georgia- had the Savannah Spirits in the CBA a long time ago

Jacksonville Florida-replaces the Jacksonville Wave who folded after about 3 games last season

Austin Texas- Who just got a NBDL team

Mobile Alabama- last had the NBDL Mobile Revelers

Greenville South Carolina- last had the NBDL Greenville Groove, just got the South Carolina Heat, WBA spring team.

Honolulu Hawaii- long way for travel

Mexico City Mexico- also a long way for travel

Naples/Fort Myers Florida- home of the NBDL Florida Flame

Vancouver British Columbia- origionally to come in 2004, but decided to hold off till 2005.

Cincinnati Ohio- replacing the Cincinnati Monarchs , who barely played last season.

But surprisingly they are losing a few teams

Arkansas Rim Rockers- the Champions are leaving to join the NBDL, not official yet.

Mississippi Stingers- joining the WBA spring league, replacing the Jackson Rage who folded.

There are sure to be more folding, and others already folded midseason(like Philadelphia who were originally the Squires, becoming the Fusion before the season and changing to Colonials midseason and folded without ever playing a game.)

DID YOU GET ALL THAT??? CUZ IM NOT REPEATING IT!!!!

actually it's the Phoenix Rhinos, and yeah it's after one of the sponsors, that's okay, because of the Phoenix Suns it won't be around very long, i'd give it half the season before they pack things up

actually it's the Phoenix Rhinos, and yeah it's after one of the sponsors, that's okay, because of the Phoenix Suns it won't be around very long, i'd give it half the season before they pack things up

http://www.arizonarhinos.com/

There website says Arizona Rhinos. Icouldnt agree more that they nor any other team in an NBA city will last long.

http://www.arizonarhinos.com/

There website says Arizona Rhinos. Icouldnt agree more that they nor any other team in an NBA city will last long.

I guess it is official now, they were going to call them the Phoenix Rhinos, but I guess they changed the name at the last minute

I have just one word to say on this, and it's quite familiar to the rants I had raged against the NIFL...Down with the :cursing: ABA

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Anyone else waiting for the headline "San Jose Sky Rockets shoot down San Francisco Pilots"??

Something tells me the ABA isn't going to get many headlines.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

I have just one word to say on this, and it's quite familiar to the rants I had raged against the NIFL...Down with the :cursing: ABA

maybe if you hyphenate between down and with, with and the, the and aba it is one word.

Archived