Powder blue

rockchalk

I like the black added to the Lions' helmets, as well as the number outlining on the jerseys, but the sleeve striping pattern just looks off.  If they rearranged the stripes a bit, it'd work better.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The point I was trying to make is that I believe that a lot of people on this board have jumped this "ant-black/navy" bandwagon mindlessly.

Wow, I never thought about it that way. Now that my mind has expanded I can see that black is the one true path. Every team should adopt black as their primary color. It just looks so good! Never too much black, I say. Black, black, black. Chicago White Sox unis for all! We could have the Seattle White Sox, the New York White Sox, the Los Angeles White Sox...the potential is limitless. Hooray for black! Can't get enough black! Yeah, black!

:;):

I somewhat agree with Avenger.  Because black is used for outlining images in other types of graphics, its use as a trim color to help logos stand out is OK in moderation.  I think it is important for leagues to control and balance the brand identities used for their franchises.  I don't think MLB has done a good job of it in many cases.  I dislike any baseball jersey where the script is a dark color trimmed in white on a black jersey.  I think the script gets lost in the mess.  BTW, I was around for the powder blue era.  The only teams that looked good were the Royals and Phillies.  Otherwise, it looked bush-league (and still does).

As for the Lions new uniforms, my guess is that it will be tweaked after this season.  The black could have easily worked if incorporated correctly.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Here's my two cents (Canadian :D  ). I think the Royals were the only team that looked good in the powder blues! But I would have the colour changed to either Royal Blue or yellow

I saw, I came, I left.

I think the Royals' addition of black looks good.  Although I wish they used blue sleeves on the roads.  I'd be open to a replacement of black with powder blue as a trim color, but I think that all-powder blue uniforms have had their day.

The Mets' addition of black is awful.  It's poorly done and it looks terrible, in my not-so-humble opinion.  I think that the reason the black works for the Royals is that it's their second color (blue and black).  Once teams venture into third and fourth colors it gets difficult to not have it look like a mess.  Not to mention the Mets use a primarily dark blue, so the addition of black is not necessary.

Some people are uncomfortable with change, and to them, the trend of adding black is an easy target.

Well I dunno about that, considering the majority of this board is concepts for new uniforms and logos. I think we just see black as a shallow, insincere attempt to change the uniforms for the better and we hate that, caring strongly for uniforms as we do. Anyway, I'm done attacking you Avenger. :D As for the Royals, I suppose maybe black could be used, but it would definitely have to be done better than now. They have to get rid of the black caps and jerseys, and limit it to shadow and outlines. Also get rid of those dreadful road vests. Don't even get me started on vests, there's another trend I'm not sure about.... :D

I agree with avengers statements from the first page, the kansas city set has gone from the bottom of the league to one of the tops with a simple addition of a drop shadow and vests.  You cannot deny how much better the new script and set was to the original ones.  Well you can, but that would put you in the traditional pool, and well as some of you know, i pee in that pool.  :D

potty jokes aside, adding black is not uniformly bad at all, i know the backlash from the early 90s black is bad(michael jackson 'bad' i mean) is still evident, but come on, you cant just blindly hate a color....ok no we dont need a brown joke here, cuz brown is a bad color.  But im straying from my point.  Adding a dark isnt a bad thiing if done well, kc did it well.

I would highly approve using powder blue vs. black.

Royals, Cardinals, Brewers, Phillies, Blue Jays, etc. could bring these back and get rid of black. Can you imagine the Brewers navy blue and gold text logo on a powder blue jersey? Or even a jersey that's white with a hint of gold tint to it?

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Royals, Cardinals, Brewers, Phillies, Blue Jays, etc. could bring these back and get rid of black.

Did I miss the Cardinals, Brewers, Phillies, and Blue Jays black alternate jerseys?

"I still think a tag team of Jimmy B and Melo could kick the :censored: out of Jesus and God."

Syracuse Orangemen

2003 National Champions

someone posted florida state's gold baseball uniform at the other board a month ago, and i think that color might look good with the brewers or royals.  that said, i'm not a fan of the black fad.  i could say a million things about the mets and royals, but i won't.  i'll say the lions didn't need to add black, it looks tacky on them.  also, i'll say having a black jersey just to have a black jersey (duke, florida and fsu hoops to name a few) is pointless, especially if your normal uniform has no black (see listed schools)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I disagree about the A's black STL. they looked HORRIBLE.

the green script and numbers on the black jersey were less then visible, and they made the uniform virtually void of yellow. the only thing the A's should make black on thier current uniforms are thier shoes on the road!  :D

I disagree about the A's black STL. they looked HORRIBLE.

the green script and numbers on the black jersey were less then visible, and they made the uniform virtually void of yellow. the only thing the A's should make black on thier current uniforms are thier shoes on the road! :D

I agree that Oakland shouldn't use black....or that stupid elephant head (w/ the sunglasses) logo, although they could use some sort of imagery other than just the "A's" logo.

I think that the Royals black works pretty well, better, in fact than the drop shadow does...I have to admit right up front, that I am NOT a fan of drop shadow in general (what WERE the Indians thinking, with the drop shadow nameplates), and that the ds, far more than the black, is what messes up the Mets current unis...

Thank goodnes they dropped the pinstripes, but that's another story altogether...

I have one of the Royals powder blue jerseys from the late eighties, and can only wonder...why?

:D

Royals, Cardinals, Brewers, Phillies, Blue Jays, etc. could bring these back and get rid of black.

Did I miss the Cardinals, Brewers, Phillies, and Blue Jays black alternate jerseys?

It has been announced that the Blue Jays will be primarly black for 2004.

(Colour Scheme: Black, Blue, Gunmetal Silver)

They will also be known as the Jays, the same way the Devil Rays are known as the Rays.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I guess when you go to black you can't call them the Blue Jays anymore huh? That really sucks!

I really miss the original logo!

I think the uniforms they wore during their World Series victories were good enough!

Even though red and black are my favourite colours. I also like blue a lot and it should still be the dominant Jay's colours.

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived