Personal Portfolio

js °

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friend, these are absolutely gorgeous designs - all across the board. And your website is fantastic a compelling balance of art and accessible information.

Congratulations! :D

PS IMHO, the Buffalo Sabres would be foolish to use anything but your design.

"Conduct may be founded on the hard rock or the wet marshes."

Although I'm not a fan of the Buffalo Sabres (Go Leafs Go!) I really like your Sabres logo and the uniforms that you did (except that awful mustard gold one). And the way you put them on the actual players is awesome, makes them look lifelike.

Now that I've praised you, please tell me that new Amerks crest is just a concept. You know they'll be 50 years old next season and I've followed them since 1958. The crest they have now is perfect. And being an old fossil I like it even better without the word through it. I worked for the company that outfitted the Amerks from 1958-70. So please tell me they're not even considering changing.

Back in '70-'71 when the Vancouver Canucks owned the Amerks Vanvouver made them change to a godawful circular crest with two hockey sticks forming an "A."

It was red, white and blue and the fans HATED it. The first thing the local ownership did when they bought the team back in '72 was to reinstate the old crest. To longtime Amerk fans that crest has become as sacred as the Detroit Red Wings winged wheel, Montreal's "CH" and the Boston "B."

If the Amerks were just starting out that would be a great crest. All I'd do would add two more stars to the top part. That lone star looks too lonely.

But with 50 years of tradition and love for the old crest, please leave it alone.

Two Thumbs up from my prospective - Great site :notworthy:

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

I wish you'd post here more often. I remember seeing your work when I first got here, it was the Sabres sets, and I stumpled across the celcius site a couple times always liking what I saw.

I really like your identity work! top notch!

The non-sports content is tremendous.

I love the Sabres design and if there is ever an NHL again they should use it.

I like the Rochester Americans stuff a lot. I think the AHL has kind of gotten silly with some of their logo and jersey designs. The Amerks logos are real clean and would be a great change for them.

mainescarf.png

first off ... thank you everyone for the kind words ... I appreciate every compliment, thank you.

Now that I've praised you, please tell me that new Amerks crest is just a concept. You know they'll be 50 years old next season and I've followed them since 1958. The crest they have now is perfect. And being an old fossil I like it even better without the word through it. I worked for the company that outfitted the Amerks from 1958-70. So please tell me they're not even considering changing.

Back in '70-'71 when the Vancouver Canucks owned the Amerks Vanvouver made them change to a godawful circular crest with two hockey sticks forming an "A."

It was red, white and blue and the fans HATED it. The first thing the local ownership did when they bought the team back in '72 was to reinstate the old crest. To longtime Amerk fans that crest has become as sacred as the Detroit Red Wings winged wheel, Montreal's "CH" and the Boston "B."

If the Amerks were just starting out that would be a great crest. All I'd do would add two more stars to the top part. That lone star looks too lonely.

But with 50 years of tradition and love for the old crest, please leave it alone.

Now bulldogsbark ... as for the Amerks concepts ... I did some work with them awhile ago ... designed their website for them, along with some other material. Well, in the process of doing that I tried pitching them on changing their crest ... for far far too long that half cocked, asymettrical crest with Americans scripted across it has been completely illeligable, completely unclean, and in need of some sort of work. So, my original suggestion and consistent push was for them to go back to their ORIGINAL mark ... not this bungled up version of it. (if you look at the website now, you can see wherever the Amerks current logo is used, it is not their actual logo, but rather a cleaned up version I did for it so that you could read the bloody thing ... go to the store to see THEIR version of it .. without the white border around the scripted Americans)

The original mark can be seen on the website to the right side of the banner .. and on the jerseys of the old players. I wish that the USA team hadn't come out with their faux-retro jerseys a couple years back .. because the old Amerks jerseys were of such high quality classic style it would have blown those away. I know if they went right back to the late 50s jerseys .. they would easily be my favorite hockey jersey available right now.

Their plan was to integrate the old style with a new style .. and they wanted to see some "NEW" style concepts ... the entire time my push was for simply returning to the old .. and maybe updating THAT slightly .. but they felt that was and is too watered down. I would have liked to spend more time on the concepts .. but they were mere sketches for contrast purposes.

Well .. with all that said .. thank you again everyone for the compliments ... I've been doing this for quite some time now, and wish I could get more involved in sports branding .. but sometimes the work just isnt as easy to come by. I have recently talked with a couple sports branding firms and will be working on some freelance work for them ... so I don't know we'll see.

I usually check the boards here every week at some point to view concepts and check the news ... I wish I had more time to actually be involved here as everyone is always creative and constantly helping out ... this is a good little community here.

Thanks again everyone.

Archived