Cubs Home Jerseys

Cujo

I'll say the same thing here I said when I learned they were taking the names off the back in Dec/Jan - I love the idea. I, however, hate the fact that I had just sent out a home jersey to be lettered when I got the news. Now that I have the jersey back, I'm kind of glad it has the name on it, just because I put an old players name on the back of a current jersey (Ken Hubbs). If I just had a #16 jersey, with no name, everyone would think I just had an Aramis Ramirez jersey...

Moose

I'm not a big fan opf this movement, though it does work for teams like the Bosox Cubs and Giants, who have number fonts other than the plain block numbers. What the Cubs need to do though is MOVE THE NUMBERS UP like the Red Sox, so there's not a big gaping spot where the name should be. Also, teams need to keep it limited to the home unis, every road team should have names (Yes Yankees too). Don't expect me to know who you are when you're coming into my stadium to play my team.

For the "Get a program" crowd -- that helps those of us watching TV in what fashion?

No other major professional league would take names off uniforms. That demonstrates the intelligence and sophistication levels of those running baseball.

I propose that teams that do not have names on the back of their uniforms be fined $10,000 per player per game until they put them on.

Packers-2.png

I was at the Dodger game on Friday. While it was the retro-themed jerseys, I definitely missed the names. The names do make it easier. And I cannot imagine a Milwaukee fan tomorrow knowing that #3 is Izturis during warm ups etc.

That said, my personal theory as to why the Dodgers dropped names was that Frank McCourt got burned on far too many jerseys, shirts, and other merchandise that said LO DUCA 16 on it. But that's just me. No way it could have been a bigger lose than PIAZZA 31 merchandise did for Fox back in 1998.

I have a question, can you actually read what the name from the stands or a non closeup shot on tv. Probably not since it's small. The number is still used as the primary identification mark on the uni.

I like them going nameless. I wouldn't want all the teams to do it but a few I like.

Names are definitely a TV thing. Unless you're in the first few rows, or have binoculars, there's no way to read 'em from the stands. Of course, at the game you have a P.A. announcer telling you who's where doing what. On TV, except for the initial lineup and the graphics, they don't bother with numbers much.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Since it's impossible to read the names from the stands, why not ditch the road names too? I just hate the fact the uniforms look so generic now, like the Yankees. :(

6uXNWAo.png

Archived