Dodgers Brooklyn unis tonight

boardname

Yeah, the "BROOKLYN" uniforms at home bothered me a lot. I don't like "inspired by" uniforms, I like throwbacks.

As for the Seals, the Giants apparently briefly considered changing their name when they moved to SF. There was a movement in the city to do so, but the owners decided to keep the old name, saying it wasn't a good idea to ditch one tradition in honoring another.

However, if O'Malley hadn't moved his Dodgers west, the PCL might have been able to become the third major league (as was the plan), and we might now have the San Francisco Seals, Hollywood Stars, Seattle Rainers and Los Angeles Angels (without any Anaheim silliness) playing against the San Diego Padres in the West. O'Malley killed that by taking away the PCL's two best markets in one fell swoop.

What a slap in the face of Brooklyn.

The Los Angeles Dodgers should NEVER be allowed to use "Brooklyn" or the "B" cap in any way. They crushed an entire city when they left, all because of Walter O'Mally's greed. Now they think that 48 years can erase that? I still see my mother saddened whenever the Dodgers are mentioned to her. Most of my mother's-side family were Dodger fans before they left. The hurt is still there, and it is passed down from generation to generation. What the Dodgers did to Brooklyn will never be forgoten, and this was a travesty on the part of the Dodgers.

...sorry for the rant.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I thought part of the blame had to go to the city of New York for not allowing a new park to be built in Brooklyn and wanted it in Queens, which O'Malley wasn't keen on.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I thought part of the blame had to go to the city of New York for not allowing a new park to be built in Brooklyn and wanted it in Queens, which O'Malley wasn't keen on.

Exactly, New York called the Dodgers bluff on the stadium issue now. The city thought they would never move out of the biggest media market, unfortunatly they didn't realize what LA would become.

The true crime was the Giants, they could have stayed in New York gotten a new stadium with their national league competition gone. They would be in the same situation that the Mets got except better because they had history. The Mets became a succes because of all the fans that were Giants and Dodger fans just think what an established team would have done. They would have challenged the Yankees for popularity in New York. O'mally and the Dodgers talked the Giants into moving out west so they wouldn't be the only team out there and to take some heat of them. It might have hurt the Giants in the long run.

However, if O'Malley hadn't moved his Dodgers west, the PCL might have been able to become the third major league (as was the plan), and we might now have the San Francisco Seals, Hollywood Stars, Seattle Rainers and Los Angeles Angels (without any Anaheim silliness) playing against the San Diego Padres in the West. O'Malley killed that by taking away the PCL's two best markets in one fell swoop.

It would have been nice, going forward, to have three major leagues, but you wonder whether you would have seen what happened a few years back in AAA ball -- you notice that there is no longer an American Association? It sent teams to the International and Pacific Coast Leagues.

I couldn't see three distinct leagues even if you allowed for interleague play.

Let's give this scenario some thought:

NATIONAL LEAGUE (in 1957)

Milwaukee Braves

St. Louis Cardinals

Brooklyn Dodgers

Cincinnati Reds

Philadelphia Phillies

New York Giants

Chicago Cubs

Pittsburgh Pirates

AMERICAN LEAGUE (in 1957)

New York Yankees

Boston Red Sox

Washington Senators

Detroit Tigers

Kansas City Athletics

Baltimore Orioles

Chicago White Sox

Cleveland Indians

PACIFIC COAST LEAGUE (in 1957)

San Diego Padres

Los Angeles Angels

Hollywood Stars

San Francisco Seals

Oakland Oaks

Sacramento Solons

Portland Beavers

Seattle Rainiers

Imagine the possibilities if you still had three teams in New York's metropolitan area and gave Sacramento and Portland teams. Thing is, you would have left out the heartland (i.e., Arlington, Minneapolis, Denver, Houston) and Florida (Miami, St. Petersburg). Oh, and Canada (Toronto, Montreal).

Archived