Explain soccer kits to me.

The_Admiral

Basketball is white at home dark on the road, baseball is white and grey, football is dark and white, hockey can't make up its mind. What is the color convention for soccer uniforms? It seems like the home and away uniforms, at least for English Premier League teams I've browsed, look nothing alike.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

TCR, when it comes to soccer, it's not as much home and away as it is primary and secondary. Both teams wear their primary uniforms unless the two teams' uniforms are too similar; when that happens, the road team usually switches jerseys. That's why when Chelsea plays Liverpool, Chelsea will always be in blue, and Liverpool in red.

LvZYtbZ.png

it might be like the AFL where home team chooses what they wear and the away team has to wear a none clashing strip if they have one.....

NBL Basketball in Oz is dark for home, light for away except for some games where it changes.

In AFL, the hometeam always wears dark shorts and the away team wears white shorts exceptf or Sydney whose Red shorts dont clash

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

I think each team has a primary kit, and it can be whatever color they want, dark or light (Real Madrid, for example, has white primary kits). The home team wears the primary, and if the away team's kit clashes, then they have to wear their clash kit.

MLS has dark for home and light on the road, if I'm not mistaken.

philly.png

Ah, I see. I think the Wikipedia pages on the English teams denoted them as home and road. It's just different from what I'm used to, as I do not follow soccer whatsoever.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'd assume you live in the United States, though you don't tell us your location. In any case, remember that the US National team's primary uniforms are the white ones. I want to say England, Germany, and a few other teams have white primary kits (if memory serves, most other good national teams in Europe have colored primaries).

There are, however, certain national teams whose primary uniforms stick out bigtime. I'd say Argentina's light blue and white stripes, and Croatia's red and white checks, might be the best example of this.

LvZYtbZ.png

Home and away is pretty much up to each individual team. In the EPL, Bolton, Leeds(Championship now), West Brom, and Newcastle wear white at home, though the last 2 have black striping they are counted as white jerseys. So when these teams play each other the road team brings a different jersey. In MLS, everyone wears dark at home except Chivas, who has the red/white combo and Columbus, who occasionally wears the yellow kit at home as well as the black kit.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Home and away is pretty much up to each individual team. In the EPL, Bolton, Leeds(Championship now), West Brom, and Newcastle wear white at home, though the last 2 have black striping they are counted as white jerseys. So when these teams play each other the road team brings a different jersey. In MLS, everyone wears dark at home except Chivas, who has the red/white combo and Columbus, who occasionally wears the yellow kit at home as well as the black kit.

if newcastle and west brom are considered wearing white at home, then surely the hoops of FC Dallas would be considered white as well :)

or is it a vertical/horizontal thing? :P

I think each team has a primary kit, and it can be whatever color they want, dark or light (Real Madrid, for example, has white primary kits). The home team wears the primary, and if the away team's kit clashes, then they have to wear their clash kit.

MLS has dark for home and light on the road, if I'm not mistaken.

Every team in MLS, save for Kansas City, has a dark (non-white) primary kit.

This year, as opposed to the last 9 years of the league, both teams are wearing their primary design unless there is a color similarity. The fact that Dallas, Colorado and Chivas has striped kits helps...

patriotssignature.png

a couple examples along Gothamite's lines

a) England visits Germany. Both teams primarily wear white shirts and dark shorts, and since England is the visitor they change to their secondary kit, red shirts and socks worn with white shorts.

B) Brazil faces off against the US in Rio. Both teams normally wear blue shorts, but the US switches to white shorts for this game

c) Cole's favorite team, Blackburn Rovers (sky blue and white halves) has consecutive road games. Game 1 is against Man City (sky blue), so Rovers changes to their second kit. However, Game 2 is against Chelsea (royal blue) and Rovers' blue is light enough that they can be picked apart from Chelsea players, so Rovers don their normal kit.

hope this helps ^_^

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

the Socceroos wear yellow w/ green shorts for all games except for when we clash we change to Green w/ yellow shorts...... but then the Socceroos dont paly any big matches.... they biggest we get is a match v 5th placed South AMerican team in Melb/Syd and South AMerica.... we dont get direct entry to the World Cup the bloody fifa dudes

that's like Carlton wearing light-blue a while bakc and the Saints having a yellow strip for a few years.... i think it is to make it easy to tell which team is which....

New Zealand colours are Black and White but in soccer there away is red, white and blue (flag colours) and they look a bit like the French

c) Cole's favorite team, Blackburn Rovers (sky blue and white halves) has consecutive road games. Game 1 is against Man City (sky blue), so Rovers changes to their second kit. However, Game 2 is against Chelsea (royal blue) and Rovers' blue is light enough that they can be picked apart from Chelsea players, so Rovers don their normal kit.

Except that they'd still probably still use their second kit in that case.

Since aussie brought it up, it's nice that AFL teams have started using second jerseys, like the Freemantle whites. Back in the VFL days, it could get really hairy.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

the thing i don't get is why some change strips have nothing to do with the team's colour scheme (eg. Man U's blue kit from a couple of years ago).

because if you've ever watched a soccer game between a team in white shirts and blue shorts, and a team in blue shirts and white shorts, you'll notice that it can get really confusing... in football, basketball, hockey, etc... it's not that big of a deal. but in soccer, i've noticed it can get really confusing. and since soccer is such an old school traditional sport, most teams wear blue and white, or red and white. they need yellow, black, white, green, orange, and other colors to make it easier to follow the game.

besides, teams like blackburn and southampton, and newcastle are just as much white as they are team color... you can't just have a reverse of the home jersey colors for road jerseys, because then you'd see blackburn's blue and white against chelsea in blue and white, or birmingham in blue and white...

basically, the teams need to have very different colors, or it can get confusing while watching from a wide angle (either live, or on tv)

it just so happens that neon yellow stands out against most team's primary kits :) and teams like blackburn who have blue home kits can just wear red kits on the occasion they play a blue team, and blue kits when they play red teams :)

Another good example -

In the '94 World Cup, I went to see Brazil-Holland in the quarters. Brazil's primary is the famous yellow shirt , while the Dutch always wear orange. Since these were too close, Brazil ended up wearing their secondary's, which are blue.

Archived