New Yankee Stadium to open in 2009

marlinfan

You can't compare Fulton County Stadium to Yankee Stadium. Fulton County was a cookie-cutter park. Turner Field is a vast improvement. Yankee Stadium is Yankee Stadium. It won't be the same.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If they move from the current foundation, the Yankees will never win another championship.

They can't do this. The ghosts will be lost. The Grand Cathedral of Baseball will be lost forever.

Why most of the history was distroyed when the remodeled the stadium in the 70's. The field is in a different place than it was, the monuments were moved, and the facade was taken down. When the Yankees came back they were in the series for 3 straight years winning 2 of them. Outside of those years and the late 90's the current one has little to no history. Don't forget the Yankees will still have the thing that helped them to all 26 World Championships, a wallet.

This plan is going to abandon the foundation, and build across the street. It will no longer be the house that Ruth built. It will be a nice stadium, but it won't be Yankee Stadium.

Tough break, man. We turned Fulton County Stadium into a parking lot, and we STILL own the NL East. Surely you all can still win your championships with a little move across the street.

Yeah, but they still have only one world series title to show for all those NL east titles while the Marlins have won the World Series twice as Wild Cards :P

zing

1997 | 2003

I say remodel (again). It worked for Lambeau and Soldier in the NFL.

I've never actually been inside Soldier field, but I've drivin past it since it's remodeling and it looks like plop. It is the ugliest, crappiest thing ever. Basically they put the shell of a "state of the art" stadium around the original stadium to add upperdeck seating.

I say remodel (again).  It worked for Lambeau and Soldier in the NFL.

I've never actually been inside Soldier field, but I've drivin past it since it's remodeling and it looks like plop. It is the ugliest, crappiest thing ever. Basically they put the shell of a "state of the art" stadium around the original stadium to add upperdeck seating.

Exactly. It's like a new building with the shiny, reflective panels coming out of the middle of the Parthenon.

I say remodel (again). It worked for Lambeau and Soldier in the NFL.

I don't think remodeling the current stadium is an option. Like I said they did a complete overhaul in the mid-70's. When the stadium issue for both the Mets and Yankees came up back in 2001 I remember Gulliani on the Late Show saying that remodeling Yankee Stadium wasn't possible becasue they had already done it once.

I was in Chicago the summer before Soldier reopened. Everyone I talked to there hated how it looked.

and on a side note, I ran into more White Sox fans then Cubs fans while there. Even in the heart of Wrigleyville when there was no game going on, it seemed more people claimed the White Sox as thier team.

Once I went to the outer suburbs like Rosemont and Schiller Park though, more claimed the Cubs.

Sounds like an abberation to me. North side is still very much Cubs territory, as well as most of the suburbs.

I'll throw in my two cents as well here. Soldier Field looks awful. It's not the same at all.

Soldier Field won alot of architecture awards.

Really, if you think about it, its a perfect represenation of the city of broad sholders. Chicago is perhaps the most beautiful city architecturally in the nation. Downtown mixes the old of the Wrigley building with the new of the soon to be built Trump Towers right next door.

It was a dump before inside. But like wrigley, you can't tear down a stadium that has so many memories. Now its got all the glamor of a new stadium inside while keeping some of the traditions of old. This is a place that held more than bear football games. Greatful Dead, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Jack Dempsey and "The Long Count", Championship Boxing, 115,000 people for a HS football game, World Cup Soccer, ski jumping, its all happened at Soldier Field.

Sure, it looks like a spaceship landed in the old stadium. But its beginning to grow on me. And to me its unique look fits the Second City perfectly.

Hell, wrigley is disgusting from the outside too.

I don't know, I haven't gotten used to it. I think the old Soldier Field looked better outside and inside.

And Wrigley's exterior doesn't look THAT bad.

Soldier Field won alot of architecture awards.

Really, if you think about it, its a perfect represenation of the city of broad sholders. Chicago is perhaps the most beautiful city architecturally in the nation. Downtown mixes the old of the Wrigley building with the new of the soon to be built Trump Towers right next door.

It was a dump before inside. But like wrigley, you can't tear down a stadium that has so many memories. Now its got all the glamor of a new stadium inside while keeping some of the traditions of old. This is a place that held more than bear football games. Greatful Dead, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Jack Dempsey and "The Long Count", Championship Boxing, 115,000 people for a HS football game, World Cup Soccer, ski jumping, its all happened at Soldier Field.

Sure, it looks like a spaceship landed in the old stadium. But its beginning to grow on me. And to me its unique look fits the Second City perfectly.

Hell, wrigley is disgusting from the outside too.

The inside looks really nice. It's too bad you can't see the "monument" structure from the inside, but at least they kept it in the new Soldier Field and you can still see the Chicago skyline. What's important is that they upgraded ammendities which is really what the rennovation is all about.

The biggest beef I have is that it does looks like a spaceship landed looking from the outside. :D

I saw, I came, I left.

If they move from the current foundation, the Yankees will never win another championship.

They can't do this. The ghosts will be lost. The Grand Cathedral of Baseball will be lost forever.

Why most of the history was distroyed when the remodeled the stadium in the 70's. The field is in a different place than it was, the monuments were moved, and the facade was taken down. When the Yankees came back they were in the series for 3 straight years winning 2 of them. Outside of those years and the late 90's the current one has little to no history. Don't forget the Yankees will still have the thing that helped them to all 26 World Championships, a wallet.

This plan is going to abandon the foundation, and build across the street. It will no longer be the house that Ruth built. It will be a nice stadium, but it won't be Yankee Stadium.

Tough break, man. We turned Fulton County Stadium into a parking lot, and we STILL own the NL East. Surely you all can still win your championships with a little move across the street.

Yeah, but they still have only one world series title to show for all those NL east titles while the Marlins have won the World Series twice as Wild Cards :P

zing

They're called "pity wins".

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

I don't know, I haven't gotten used to it. I think the old Soldier Field looked better outside and inside.

And Wrigley's exterior doesn't look THAT bad.

No, its not THAT bad. But compared to the inside, its beast. I mean, go anywhere but the main entrance and it really shows its age.

Archived