Vancouver 2010 Games to unveil logo

officeglenn

The organizing committee for the 2010 Olympic Winter Games, to be held in Vancouver, is set to unveil the official Games logo on Saturday, April 23, live on CTV at 10 p.m. ET (7 p.m. PT): News Release.

It's a shame they have to change it, I think. I really liked the bid logo, and was hoping they'd keep it:

vancouver2010_logo.gif

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually, bid logos are "ok" compared to the official logo. Most were upset when the Atlanta games went from a multi-colored circle of stars (bad description). To a 100 year star torch.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

TSN.ca has posted an article on the logo unveiling here.

"I'm really excited about it," says John Furlong, CEO of the organizing committee. "When you've seen it, you won't forget it."

That really could go either way ? does he mean you might not forget it because it's very nice, or you might not forget because it's an horrific eyesore?

To use a journalistic clichΓ©, only time will tell.

I was watching the Vancouver morning news while waiting for the NFL Draft to start. I saw a blurb that said it was rumoured to look like an Inukshuk, with each individual component of the inukshuk a different Olympic colour. I'd try to mock it up, but, well, I'm hopeless.

Usually, bid logos are "ok" compared to the official logo. Most were upset when the Atlanta games went from a multi-colored circle of stars (bad description). To a 100 year star torch.

I disagree, the bid logos of recent were better than the IOC official ones. Atlanta, SLC, and Sydney bid logos were better to be since they usually use the colors of the rings rather than other colors. We also have to look at it for the time, would LA '84 "Stars in Motion" be good looking today? Speaking of that, shouldn't the Nats have asked Disney to resue "Sam the Eagle" for their mascot as opposed to the eagle who looks more like a relative of "Woodsy Owl"?

I was watching the Vancouver morning news while waiting for the NFL Draft to start. I saw a blurb that said it was rumoured to look like an Inukshuk, with each individual component of the inukshuk a different Olympic colour. I'd try to mock it up, but, well, I'm hopeless.

According to this link, an inukshuk serves as a landmark and navigation aid. Also, this inukshuk statue is meant to serve as a symbol of hospitality and friendship.

In other words, "Welcome to Vancouver; we hope you enjoy your stay." The more I see that statue's picture (and its outstretched arms), the more I have the feeling that it will be the basis for the Games logo... though just like you, I am going to miss seeing that bid logo.

I've got this site here. It's probably just an entry.

http://www.swatikotharidesigns.com/van2010.htm

Here was a beter glimpse of that Swati Kothari submission.

http://www.swatikotharidesigns.com/ids_van2010.htm

Looks like a blue campfire. Snowflake? Too many spokes to be a snowflake.

Hope that's not it.

What you are forgetting is that colours on the olympic logo are not in the right places, which is why I think it's just a concept

I saw, I came, I left.

indeed it is. can't find an image yet.

I saw, I came, I left.

I was watching the Vancouver morning news while waiting for the NFL Draft to start.Β  I saw a blurb that said it was rumoured to look like an Inukshuk, with each individual component of the inukshuk a different Olympic colour.Β  I'd try to mock it up, but, well, I'm hopeless.

indeed it is. can't find an image yet.

Only thing is that one of the parts of the inukshuk is light blue instead of black.

I too will keep looking for an image of it.

Archived