Concept of the Week

andrewharrington

I'm just wondering if the current lack of a Maple Leaf is an attempt to hide the fact they play in Canada to free agents.

"Want to play in Toronto?"

"Sure. Which state is that in again?"

"...Kentucky."

"Hey, I'm there!"

Well there is a Toronto in Ohio. Perhaps you can get away with that :D

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Canadian patriotic symbolism isn't as annoying as American, I don't think.

Is it really any different than the Texas Rangers wrapping their T in a big Texas flag? I'm not from Texas, and it wouldn't deter me from buying Rangers merchandise. I have a Blue Jays hat with their 2nd logo (mid '90s), big maple leaf and all.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Has anyone else noticed that in Canada all the fast food places have maple leaves incorporated into their logos?

It's not just fast food places... almost every american company up here in canada has a little tweak here and there with their logo... SEARS adds a little maple leaf in the corner, Staples is known as Staples Business Depot, and A&W even has a completely different colour scheme.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Hey TCR-

How is American patriotic symbolism "annoying?" That the Yankees' logo has an Uncle Sam hat? That the Sixers are named after the year we told the Brits to get out, and don't let the door hit you in the behind? That the Patriots represent the cradle of the Revolution? That the Rochester Americans proudly wear a shield patterned after the Stars and Stripes? That the Texas Rangers uniforms carry the Lone Star flag that represents their independence from Mexican oppression?

Americans are proud of their heritage and the freedoms our armed forces have fought for for over 200 years. Don't get me wrong, I love Canada and its people. Hey, my beloved Toronto Maple Leafs were named after your national symbol that Major Conn Smythe bravely fought in two wars to defend.

But I've attended Blue Jay games since the beginning and it never ceases to amaze me how many Canadian men don't remove their hats during the playing of the National Anthems. They look as if it's an inconvenience to them that they have to stand up for three minutes during the ceremony.

And if the USA hadn't come to the aid of the British Empire during both World Wars we might all be saying "Guten Morgen" as we sing the German National Anthem and bow to a likeness of Uncle Adolf.

Am I a good ole redneck? You damn right, boy! We here in the USA don't usually go looking for a fight, but if you start something with us we're going to kick your butt and take names. President Teddy Roosevelt (1901-1909) lived by the code of "walk softly but carry a big stick."

Which meant, "Don't screw with us unless you want to get your rear-end kicked."

Unfortunately Canada and their British fathers usually take a liberal "We must have dialogue" approach when it comes to world affairs. Yeah, dialogue really worked well in 1938 at Munich. Who saved your Canadian bacon? Us, USA.

Maybe you ought to try some patriotism. You might get a little emotional when your anthem is played, or your flag goes by in a parade.

If American teams want to show their pride in their uniforms, names, logos, I say "Do it and don't apologize to anyone. You're American, you don't have to apologize!"

PS- The attitude of TCR really touched a nerve with me. I was going to use a few more graphic terms, but hey, this is a family board set up with fun in mind. So I bit my tongue and tried to be as nice as I could be.

USA! USA! USA!

But I've attended Blue Jay games since the beginning and it never ceases to amaze me how many Canadian men don't remove their hats during the playing of the Nation Anthems. They look as if it's an inconvenience to them that they have to stand up for three minutes during the ceremony.

Because removing your cap during the anthem is an American custom, not a Canadian one -- which is why you hear the PA announcer actually say "Please remove your caps" before the anthems are played.

USA! USA! :P

---

Chris Creamer

CC97-

Sorry, I didn't realize that it was only an American custom to remove your hat during the playing of the anthems. My bad. But it's something we Americans automatically do, to show our respect for the Stars and Stripes. It's engrained in us since birth. I just assumed that every country had such a custom.

Serious question about the Canadian flag. I read or heard somewhere that when the current flag was being designed it was supposed to have some blue in it. But this wasn't done because the feeling was that having a blue stripe and a red stripe would make it look too much like the French flag, albeit with a maple leaf. And if the leaf was blue it would say, in a sly way, "The Leafs are Canada's team," thereby insulting the Canadiens. Does anyone know if any of this is true?

As an aside, I always found it interesting that the Leaf uniforms introduced for the '67 playoffs used the style of leaf on the Canadian flag.

CC97-

Sorry, I didn't realize that it was only an American custom to remove your hat during the playing of the anthems. My bad. But it's something we Americans automatically do, to show our respect for the Stars and Stripes. It's engrained in us since birth. I just assumed that every country had such a custom.

Serious question about the Canadian flag. I read or heard somewhere that when the current flag was being designed it was supposed to have some blue in it. But this wasn't done because the feeling was that having a blue stripe and a red stripe would make it look too much like the French flag, albeit with a maple leaf. And if the leaf was blue it would say, in a sly way, "The Leafs are Canada's team," thereby insulting the Canadiens. Does anyone know if any of this is true?

As an aside, I always found it interesting that the Leaf uniforms introduced for the '67 playoffs used the style of leaf on the Canadian flag.

Ok, we also take off our hats, but we dont put it over our hearts. I was just at the game against Tampa and we were asked to remove our caps.

Secondly, both stripes on the flag were supposed to be blue, representing the Atlantic and Pacific ocean on either side of Canada.

The 67' Centenial Leaf is MUCH different then that on the Canadian flag. It is more angular.

In addition, they sell "Blue" Jays hats and shirts, and the logo/scripts look AMAZING on it. Why cant they replace the Graphite unis with the blue?? :(

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

If you ask me, these American traditions regarding the flag are pretty stuck-up. It is really egotistical that by law we cannot lower our flag at the Olympic ceremonies like our brother countries. It is simply a matter of respect for others, not one of defacing ourself.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

CC97-

Ok, we also take off our hats, but we dont put it over our hearts. I was just at the game against Tampa and we were asked to remove our caps.

The fact that they need to mention it is a sign at how it's not a Canadian thing -- even in the employee manual for when I worked for the Jays it was stressed several times to remove your cap during the anthem.

Anyone who ever went to an Expos game in Montreal would see it a lot more than you do in Toronto.

--

Btw, I was also at that game... sat behind the Jays dugout, sec 124, row 31... caught a foul ball :D

---

Chris Creamer

CC97-

The fact that they need to mention it is a sign at how it's not a Canadian thing -- even in the employee manual for when I worked for the Jays it was stressed several times to remove your cap during the anthem.

Anyone who ever went to an Expos game in Montreal would see it a lot more than you do in Toronto.

--

Btw, I was also at that game... sat behind the Jays dugout, sec 124, row 31... caught a foul ball :D

I was in the Free Rogers seats in the outfield. We kept taunting Crawford. I think I remember seeing u on screen holding up the ball and someone clapping beside you. Were u in a grey sweater or something?

I was 141, row 3. :P

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Maybe you ought to try some patriotism. You might get a little emotional when your anthem is played, or your flag goes by in a parade.

hey buddy watch it. if u spend 2 days in canada u will that we are some of the most patriotic people in the world. imo i dont have a problem with american teams using american symbols in their logos and unis. the ONLY thing that bothers me about uncle sam's hat in the yankees logo is the fact that their unis dont have an ounce of red in them.

Archived