I wonder how the Trop would look without a roof

The_Admiral

I don't agree that the D-Rays need to be contracted. Tampa is a great baseball town, but it almost seems like it is the Yankees town. They are starting to put some right pieces in place, but at a snail's pace. Vince Namoli is one of the worst owners and does need to be replaced as soon as they can. As for ballparks.com saying they need to be out by 2010, I would tend to believe that. I don't think the Trop is that bad a place to play a game or to watch one for that matter and just doesn't feel like a ballpark. However, they should build something right on Tampa Bay...perhaps near the St. Pete Times Forum. Anyway, that is enough for my rambling for right now.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I was kinda thinking the same idea in a demented thought last night on what would happen if the Vikings got a new stadium and the Twins didn't. It involved the Twins getting the world's biggest Machete, then cutting off the roof of the metrodome, then turning all the seats around towards the field, then blowing up the back part of the stadium so you could see outside, then installing a retractable roof....... then....

Well anyway, I like Tropicana Field, you can always get good seats.......... You can hear the players wave each other off from fly balls.... There's a really good sports restaurant near by........

But the main problem in Tampa/St. Pete is there audience, most of the people in Tampa are from somewhere else, meaning, of course, there are alot of transplanted Yankees/Sox/Dodgers/whatever fans around. Now these people wouldn't just drop their loyalty to their team immediately and become a D-rays fan... right? Exactly.

And where COULD they move the D-rays anyway?

Buffalo might cause problems with Toronto and Cleveland (and they'd need to build a new stadium after a year or two),

Portland just probably isn't gonna happen,

Norfolk has no chance since now there are 2 teams in the general area,

Las Vegas would have to deal with gambling, competition from other attractions and a small TV market. (Although I'd say I'd put LV as the favorite)

Monterrey would work, but seeing the difficulties that Canadian teams have, the idea of a Mexican based team makes me shiver. Although they WOULD have a home-field advantage when their opponents drink the water from the tap....

San Jose? The A's may already be there by 2010.

But one thing's for sure, CONTRACTION IS NOT A OPTION!

Yes, you realize that the team's in the Majors don't have fans, but you see, Contraction would have a trickle down effect. If the D-rays were contracted today, not only would that Franchise go out of existance, but so would the historic Durham Bulls!

Insert Witty Signature Here.

I'd like to see how Tampa Bay would draw if they actually put a competitive team on the field that would generate some interest in the market so that they would draw for games that don't involve the Yankees or Red Sox.

And where COULD they move the D-rays anyway?

Buffalo might cause problems with Toronto and Cleveland (and they'd need to build a new stadium after a year or two),

Las Vegas would have to deal with gambling, competition from other attractions and a small TV market. (Although I'd say I'd put LV as the favorite)

Monterrey would work, but seeing the difficulties that Canadian teams have, the idea of a Mexican based team makes me shiver. Although they WOULD have a home-field advantage when their opponents drink the water from the tap....

A team in Puerto Rico and Mexico will not work. Most people there don't make enough money to put food on the table let alone pay atleast $50 for a family of 4 for a night at the ballpark.

Peter Gammons summed this situation up perfectly last week in a weekly radio show he does down here in Miami. The only two places in North America capable of supporting a major league team are Las Vegas and New Jersey. His opinion was also the one I hold about the A's and LV. He said Bud Selig screwed it up for teams looking to relocate by paying off Peter Angelos. Because if you were going to put a team in New Jersey the league would have to pay off the Mets, Yankees and possibly Phillies.

Portland, Charlotte, Las Vegas and possibly San Antonio and Buffalo are on the short list of North American cities that can get an expansion team once the Twins, Marlins and A's get situated.

Hey you never know MLB might also expand to Tokyo, which wouldn't be a bad idea money wise. But would a disaster as far as travel and schedules.

1997 | 2003

Well with a little program called photoshop we can see (somewhat) what a domeless Trop will look like.

domelesstrop.gif

Hm. Well. Ugly, I guess. Maybe they should just wipe that facility off of the face of the Earth.

You mean like this?

notrop.png

I saw, I came, I left.

Buffalo's stadium was designed to expand to an MLB-sized park. The roof comes off to fit an upper deck, and there's room to add outfield seats. Of course, it was built to be an MLB park more than 15 years ago, so there's a lot missing.

But Buffalo will never get a team. They had a chance when the Rockies and Marlins entered the league. They couldn't support a team then, and the situation is far worse now.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

When they design the new stadium, they could take a page from the Buccaneers and the Diamondbacks -- put an aquarium beyond the OF wall, w/ pirates in it! ;)

Wouldn't Johnny Damon just crash through that too? ^_^

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

Well with a little program called photoshop we can see (somewhat) what a domeless Trop will look like.

domelesstrop.gif

Hm. Well. Ugly, I guess. Maybe they should just wipe that facility off of the face of the Earth.

You mean like this?

notrop.png

Also, that House Of Pies went out of business.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If the D-rays were contracted today, not only would that Franchise go out of existance, but so would the historic Durham Bulls!

1. Buffalo ain't doin' so hot, they're not conducive to a publicly-built stadium

2. Probably not

3. Better chance than Portland, who has the M's nearby. Norfolk isn't quite so close to Washington-Baltimore; it's closer to Charlotte. They're probably just Braves fans, if anything.

4. Vegas won't work, but they'll put a team there anyway. And in the years before the domed stadium is built, it'll be inhospitable in the late summer. Hoo boy.

5. No Mexico

6. Santa Clara County belongs to the Giants. A's won't move there. Sacramento if anywhere, but I think they'll remain in Oakland.

7. They'd reaffiliate.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Is Jacksonville far enough from Atlanta and Miami to house a decent fanbase?

Portland came a hairs breath from getting the Expos franchise. They could be next on the list if the Devil Rays want to move. Las Vegas isn't going to work and while I'm hearing rumors that the Sacramento Kings could be moving there soon, I doubt baseball would work there. It's Portland or bust I think.

I'd like to see them stay in Tampa but get a new retractable roof stadium. I'd like to see the A's move to San Jose. Oakland doesn't deserve major league professional sports. Well that's just my own biased opinion.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

How come Tennessee is never brought up in this kind of discussion? If they can support an NFL franchise then why not baseball? In the past decade the other 3 major sports all relocated or expanded there. Why no mention of baseball for the region?

Is Jacksonville far enough from Atlanta and Miami to house a decent fanbase?

No, it's a stones throw from Tampa and ranked in the 50's media market wise. The state of Florida doesn't deserve another ML team, the fans here can barely support two teams.

1997 | 2003

As of the 2000 census, the only metropolitan areas larger than the smallest MLB market (Milwaukee) that don't have an MLB franchise are Portland and Sacramento. Sacramento would only get a team if the A's were to move. Portland would likely do best with an NL team, to give Seattle a natural rival for interleague. This would likely involve an AL team switching leagues and moving there while the D'Backs move to the AL.

This would likely involve an AL team switching leagues and moving there while the D'Backs move to the AL.

Don't bet on it! D'Backs will still have the pitcher batting for a long time!

Forever. Forever-ever? Forever-ever!

As of the 2000 census, the only metropolitan areas larger than the smallest MLB market (Milwaukee) that don't have an MLB franchise are Portland and Sacramento. Sacramento would only get a team if the A's were to move. Portland would likely do best with an NL team, to give Seattle a natural rival for interleague. This would likely involve an AL team switching leagues and moving there while the D'Backs move to the AL.

Well, it's past five years for the D-Backs in the majors thus mlb can't change what league they are in without approval from them. The D-Backs owner has said that he opposes the team in the American League.

Archived