I wonder how the Trop would look without a roof

The_Admiral

My guess would be move the Devil Rays to Portland and send the Brewers back to the American League. Move Cleveland or Detroit back to the AL East and there ya go. Cleveland is geographically more east than Detroit but I think the Tigers have a more storied history with the Yanks and Sox and O's than the Indians do and besides it'll be more fun watching the Indians compete year after year with the White Sox and Twins than watching them flounder in the East struggling with the O's and Jays for third place.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, while "dfw" or Dallas/Fort Worth is in my title, I grew up in the Tampa. I think that one part of the low attendance is that they were very unhappy about being assigned to the AL. For years and when I was growing up, the spring training sites were for the NL (Reds-Tampa; Cardinals/Mets- St. Pete; Phillies- Clearwater). Dunedin had Toronto, but for the basic part of Hilsborough and Pinellas County (Tampa and St. Pete), we had NL teams. Even on TV, on local channels we did get WPIX and the Yankees because of the fact that Steinbrenner lives in Tampa, but we also got the Reds. Then the Reds moved from Tampa to Plant City, but still in Hillsborough County, the Mets went to St. Lucie, and the rest tumbled from there.

For the OP, the levels and seats of Tropicana were desinged after Royal/Kauffman Stadium, therefore the small outfield seating area. I remember when the then "Florida Suncoast Dome" had Phillies OF Von Hayes shag flies as a test for teh facility and he looked up at the first one and appeared lost, but then told the city represenatives that he was joking. Was he?

I have heard of a new owner stepping in a few years from now.

Thanks, Vince, but your time is up

When he bought out the other general partners last year, Stuart Sternberg said a plan was in place for him to eventually take over the operation. And Sternberg, understandably, is not eager to offer additional funds until he is the one deciding how the money will be spent.

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

Buffalo might cause problems with Toronto and Cleveland (and they'd need to build a new stadium after a year or two),

Buffalo's stadium was designed to expand to an MLB-sized park. The roof comes off to fit an upper deck, and there's room to add outfield seats. Of course, it was built to be an MLB park more than 15 years ago, so there's a lot missing.

What stadium are you talking about? The Bills stadium doesnt have a roof so I have no idea.

th_island1-med.gifStanley Cups 1980,1981,1982,1983

th_dodgers1-med.gifWorld Series Titles 1955,1959,1963,1965,1981,1988

th_boys1-med.gifSuper Bowl Titles VI,XII,XXVII,XXVIII,XXXth_jet2-med.gifSuper Bowl Title III

th_ny1-med.gifth_norangers-med.gif

newyorkislanders.gif

Buffalo might cause problems with Toronto and Cleveland (and they'd need to build a new stadium after a year or two),

Buffalo's stadium was designed to expand to an MLB-sized park. The roof comes off to fit an upper deck, and there's room to add outfield seats. Of course, it was built to be an MLB park more than 15 years ago, so there's a lot missing.

What stadium are you talking about? The Bills stadium doesnt have a roof so I have no idea.

He's talking about the baseball only stadium (originally called Pilot Field, I believe) where the Buffalo Bison play. When he says "roof," he doesn't mean a dome, but rather a roof that extends over the grandstands only. It can be removed, however I believe the struts supporting the roof were actually designed to act as a primary support for an additional deck. I remember hearing all about this when the stadium was built (help me out here - around 1989, I believe). It was a really big deal because at the time, Buffalo was still in the running for an MLB expansion team and the quick convertability of the stadium to MLB specs (for the time) was a huge selling point for their bid.

Archived