You Make The Call

WJMorris3

You are the official scorekeeper at the opening day game between the Minnesota Twins and the Seattle Mariners.

It's the top of the first. Jamie Moyer retires Shannon Stewart on a fly out to right, but then Jason Bartlett singles to center. Joe Mauer singles to right, sending Bartlett to third. Justin Morneau then hits a double to left, scoring Bartlett and sending Mauer to third.

Torii Hunter then hits a mile-high popup in foul ground. Richie Sexson bobbles the ball before dropping it. E-3. Hunter then singles to center, scoring Mauer (Morneau to 2nd).

Jacque Jones doubles to deep right, scoring Morneau and Hunter. After Lew Ford strikes out, Michael Cuddyer singles to left, scoring Jones.

Mike Hargrove has seen enough. He brings in Julio Mateo to pitch to Luis Rivas. Rivas promptly singles to right (Cuddyer to 3rd). Stewart homers to left-center (Cuddyer and Rivas score on the homer as well). Finally, Bartlett grounds out to third to end the inning.

Eight runs, on eight hits, one error, and nobody left on base.

At the top of the second, Hargrove lifts Mateo for Ron Villone.

How many runs are each pitcher charged with, how many earned runs did they each give up, and what are Moyer's and Mateo's ERA after the game?

LvZYtbZ.png

You are the official scorekeeper at the opening day game between the Minnesota Twins and the Seattle Mariners.

It's the top of the first. Jamie Moyer retires Shannon Stewart on a fly out to right, but then Jason Bartlett singles to center. Joe Mauer singles to right, sending Bartlett to third. Justin Morneau then hits a double to left, scoring Bartlett and sending Mauer to third.

Torii Hunter then hits a mile-high popup in foul ground. Richie Sexson bobbles the ball before dropping it. E-3. Hunter then singles to center, scoring Mauer (Morneau to 2nd).

Jacque Jones doubles to deep right, scoring Morneau and Hunter. After Lew Ford strikes out, Michael Cuddyer singles to left, scoring Jones.

Mike Hargrove has seen enough. He brings in Julio Mateo to pitch to Luis Rivas. Rivas promptly singles to right (Cuddyer to 3rd). Stewart homers to left-center (Cuddyer and Rivas score on the homer as well). Finally, Bartlett grounds out to third to end the inning.

Eight runs, on eight hits, one error, and nobody left on base.

At the top of the second, Hargrove lifts Mateo for Ron Villone.

How many runs are each pitcher charged with, how many earned runs did they each give up, and what are Moyer's and Mateo's ERA after the game?

Bartlett, Mauer, Morneau are all earned runs charged to Moyer.

Hunter is an unearned run charged to Moyer because of the error (which may or not be scored an error - a misjudged flyball is never an error - but he bobbled it, so I'll score it too as E3). Jacque Jones is an unearned run charged to Moyer, since he let Jones aboard but scored after two outs.

Cuddyer, Rivas, and Stewart are charged as unearned runs to Mateo since they all happened after two outs.

I think that's how it would work.

Moyer gives up 5 runs, 3 earned, ERA of 40.5

Mateo gives up 3 runs, 0 earned, ERA of 0.00

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

All runs are earned since the error occured on a foul ball. You can't assume the runs wouldn't score anyway if the error didn't happen.

Charge Moyer with 6 runs in 2/3 inning, ERA 81.00.

Charge Mateo with 2 runs in 1/3 inning, ERA 54.00.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I'll note that some parts of your analysis are wrong. (I'm not saying what though.)

Oh...I'm an idiot...Hunter's run is an earned run because he did reach base with a hit...Cuddyer is charged to Moyer, but unearned.

Moyer - 6 runs charged, 4 earned, 54.00 ERA

Mateo - 2 runs charged, 0 earned, 0.00 ERA

All runs are earned since the error occured on a foul ball. You can't assume the runs wouldn't score anyway if the error didn't happen.

Charge Moyer with 6 runs in 2/3 inning, ERA 81.00.

Charge Mateo with 2 runs in 1/3 inning, ERA 54.00.

I always learned that if a run is scored after two outs with an error in the inning, it is unearned, even if it is a foul ball error because the catch would have been the third out. I could be wrong.

Except the foul ball was with one out - Stewart's flyout.

EDIT:

OK, I cheated - I decided to look it up. I now know my answer is in fact wrong, and I will not give the correct answer here so as not to spoil anything.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Moyer yields 6 runs, 4 earned in 2/3 IP. He is credited with un-earned runs in Jones and Cuddyer, because they scored after there should have been three outs in the inning WHILE HE WAS PITCHING. His ERA is 54.00.

Mateo yields 2 runs, both earned in 1/3 IP. Both of his runs are earned because he entered the game with 2 outs, and the error does not effect whether or not the runners he allows on base (and subsequently score) are earend. This is because had he done his job, he would have recorded an out, and the earlier error wouldn't have mattered. His ERA is also 54.00

It's where I sit.

Moyer yields 6 runs, 4 earned in 2/3 IP. He is credited with un-earned runs in Jones and Cuddyer, because they scored after there should have been three outs in the inning WHILE HE WAS PITCHING. His ERA is 54.00.

Mateo yields 2 runs, both earned in 1/3 IP. Both of his runs are earned because he entered the game with 2 outs, and the error does not effect whether or not the runners he allows on base (and subsequently score) are earend. This is because had he done his job, he would have recorded an out, and the earlier error wouldn't have mattered. His ERA is also 54.00

^^ Makes sense. I'm guessing you're right. Thanks for correcting me.

Archived