July webdav challenge: nhl salt lake city

webdav

OK, so I had a bit of trouble coming up with a challenge for this month. I was trying to think of a city big enough it would be realistic to have a franchise, but one that didn't already have one. I considered the idea of bringing hockey back to Winnipeg, but it wouldn't be right if a team there wasn't called the Jets.

So let's pretend the NHL is either moving a team or expanding to Salt Lake City, Utah. Home of the strangely named Jazz (who moved from New Orleans, but should have picked a better name.)

Again, the rules are simple - get your designs to me by the end of the month in the best form possible. Illustrator files are preferred. If you decided to do a PDF proposal, please also send a version I can pull apart for inclusion on the web site. This is an IDENTITY contest. We're looking for the best identity. That means name, logo, colors, usage. Uniforms are optional (but fun.)

I encourage everyone to recall our last two winners. Very professional, well thought out designs. So go do your research on the Salt Lake area and the state of Utah and come up with a cool hockey identity.

Hopefully we end up with even more quality entries than last month. (There are two very good designers who didn't even enter last month.)

Have fun! Happy 4th of July (to those of you who are in the US)

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I considered the idea of bringing hockey back to Winnipeg, but it wouldn't be right if a team there wasn't called the Jets.

Amen.

Salt Lake City is a good choice. Is there a restriction on names (ie. not Grizzlies, which is their AHL franchise?), and can we use the name "Utah" in place of Salt Lake City, as several of their teams have done?

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I'm going to enter this months contest...if I come up with something good.

We should be allowed to use Utah.  Salt Lake City is too long.

Also, the use of the name Cougars shouldn't be allowed, or atleast should be frowned upon because BYU uses it.  I was thinking about it for a name until I remembered BYU.

I know where the raster/bitmap hockey uniform templates can be found ... but I can't seem to find the vector templates for Illustrator.

They must be around somewhere, but I just don't see them. Can anyone help me find them?

Thanks

CK3ZP8E.jpg

I'm new to the Webdav challenge.  I missed the first month, saw last months but didn't vote, and now I'm doing one for this month.  So here's my question.  How do we ensure that no two people come up with the same name.  Luck?  Or do we tell Webdav once we got a name?

If two people use the same name, so what. It isn't a vote on best name, it's the best logo, and if two people use the same name, it should be relatively easy to tell which is the better logo of the two.
WINnipegSigBanner.gif

If two people use the same name, so what. It isn't a vote on best name, it's the best logo, and if two people use the same name, it should be relatively easy to tell which is the better logo of the two.

It appears it is a vote on all of it actually, but just the same if it is the same name it will come down to the rest of what is included in the identity.

Im in.  I think I got my name down.  Salt Lake Sonic.  Sealte Sonics is close but I think it would be cool to call them this becasue the had the first plane to brake the sound...well thats what Im told.  

Name I have came up with.

Salt Lake Scorpions (maybe)

Salt Lake Sants

Salt Lake Cyclons

Salt Lake Rebels

Salt Lake Cobras

Salt Lake Venum

Salt Lake SONIC (maybe)

Salt Lake Rattlers

Salt Lake Renegades (maybe)

Salt Lake Rythim (maybe)

Salt Lake Inferno (no much like flames)

Salt Lake Mormons haha JJ

As I'm no good with logos I won't be entering, but I came up with a couple of names others might wanna play around with

Salt Lake City/Utah Bees (well it is the Beehive state)

SLC/Utah Speed (Isn't Utah were they do all the landspeed attempts)

SLC Seagulls (Its the State bird!!) (all the salt I guess!)

anyway hope that helps any designers struggling for a name

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

what's the obsession with "naming" a team in north america? why can't teams just adopt nicknames.

Just call them Salt Lake Hockey Club and design a wicked ass jersey.

mind you i come from a very british home.

okay then ...

Salt Lake Serpants.

Salt Lake NoPants (ha!)

Salt Lake Tide

Salt Lake Sea

Salt Lake C'ty

Salt Lake Olympic Buyers.

The Churches of Salt Lake

The Utah assgrabbers

The Utah Burn

The Utah Suns

The Utah Fighting Snow Bunnies

The Utah U's

The Utah Spirit

The Utah Jazz...wait...

The Utah Jazzwait.

The Utah Ice

The Utah Spirit of buying olympics dressed as assgrabbing snowbunnies.

The Utah Ride

The Utah Rock

The Utah Reds

The Utah Heat

Vancouver 2010 Two Man Luge Gold Medalist.

http://www.geocities.com/oilfaninvan

As I'm no good with logos I won't be entering, but I came up with a couple of names others might wanna play around with

As a matter of fact, I had already picked one of those names, (I won't say which one just yet), and I'm already designing my concept.

I guess if someone else thought of it too, my choice of name is a good one.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

As a matter of fact, I had already picked one of those names, (I won't say which one just yet), and I'm already designing my concept.

I guess if someone else thought of it too, my choice of name is a good one.

great minds think alike

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived