Wilkes-barre/scranton penguins 5th season logo

Roger Clemente

5th year is the first milestone (besides inagural).  We are a base-5, base-10 people, so 5 is the first opportunity to commemorate.  5 is kind of like-"you've made it."  A teams first five years are spent working out the kinks and becoming a contender.  Some teams do it faster, some slower, but 5 seems to be average.  I'm not basing this on stats, just my feeling, mind you.  Once you've hit five, you can really shift into phase 2 of your teams plan.

Wilkes Barre-Scranton are two similar sized cities that are right up the road from each other.  Instead of having each town having it's own everything(sports team, local airport, things like that), they just share, I guess.

Another instance is Dallas-Fort Worth.  Fort Worth is tiny in comparison to the evil city of Dallas, but it's so close, that they include it in some naming stuff, like the airport.

I believe this to be right, but I certainly could be wrong.

The five really looks more like a standard V.  I know there really isn't a difference, but I get more of a letter feeling than a number.  Maybe do that thing where the V is shaded to look like it's sort of roman-esque triangular 3D-ish.  Like the Florida Panthers five year logo.  That's the only one I could think of right quick that did that, but I think the Ducks and Sharks did it,too.

P.S.  I'm trying to put up a signiture picture of my new personal logo.  It's about the size of Snowcaps and STL Fanatics sig.  However, whenever I try to do it, it works, but there is that ------- thing, then a really really long blank white space, then my logo.  How do I get it closer to the ------- line?

A teams first five years are spent working out the kinks and becoming a contender. Some teams do it faster, some slower, but 5 seems to be average.

Don't tell that to either or both of Nashville hockey fans. :;): J/K

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Ah, my hometown team.

Yes, Scranton and Wilkes-Barre are twin cities, just like Dallas and Fort Worth, Minneapolis and St. Paul, etc. Scranton is the bigger of the two.

The first combined team we had was in International League baseball, the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons. Scranton comes first because although the team plays in the suburb of Moosic, it is closer to Scranton than Wilkes-Barre.

Then we got a hockey team in the AHL. The "Baby Penguins" play in an arena just outside of Wilkes-Barre, so that city comes first. (The arena is actually in Wilkes-Barre Township, but that isn't part of the city of Wilkes-Barre.)

Same thing for the AF2 football team the Pioneers, who play in the same arena.

(Actually, the dual naming goes back further than our sports teams. The airport is called Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport, while the TV station I work for identifies itself as WNEP-TV Scranton/Wilkes-Barre ... weird, because the studios used to be at the airport. Now we are next to the Red Barons' stadium.)

Also, this market is a little unusual because of the punctuation you have to use. For other twin cities, you could connect them with a hyphen Minneapolis-St. Paul looks ok.

But you can't use a hyphen here, because Wilkes-Barre already has a hyphen in it. (Scranton-Wilkes-Barre looks like three cities, not two.) So we use a slash to write Scranton/Wilkes-Barre or Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.

Go Penguins!

Go Pioneers!

Go Red Barons!

CK3ZP8E.jpg

The two cities are of comparable size, with Scranton being the larger. They are extremely close to eachother, (although they reside in different counties) so much like Minneapolis-St. Paul and Dallas-Ft. Worth, they call it Scranton/Wilks-Barre.

The Empire Football League team, the Scranton/Wilks-Barre Eagles are a legend in the world of Semi-Pro football, winning more AFA Championships than any other team since their incarnation in 1969

There is also the Scranton/Wilks-Barre Red Barons

*EDIT* Missed Jr's post... sorry i posted most of the same info...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

J. Quincy King

Posted on July 04 2003,23:57

(Actually, the dual naming goes back further than our sports teams. The airport is called Wilkes- Barre/Scranton International Airport, while the TV station I work for identifies itself as WNEP-TV Scranton/Wilkes-Barre ... weird, because the studios used to be at the airport. Now we are next to the Red Barons' stadium.)

Say, what destinations can you go to from Scranton/Wilkes-Barre? (Or is the other way around?) :D

I saw, I came, I left.

The Empire Football League team, the Scranton/Wilks-Barre Eagles are a legend in the world of Semi-Pro football, winning more AFA Championships than any other team since their incarnation in 1969

The semi-pro football team in the EFL is just the Scranton Eagles -- they don't have a dual-city name. That's because there has been from time-to-time a separate team in the league from Wilkes-Barre.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

I know they were off and on the Scranton/Wilks-Barre Eagles....

When my brother played for them they were the S/WB Eagles

I just checked the EFL site and they are, indeed, just the Scranton Eagles.... but hey, it could change again at any moment...

ScrantonEagles.GIF

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

An interesting side note...

The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons are named after TWO former minor-league baseball teams that called the region home. Scranton was the former home of the Scranton Red Sox, and Wilkes-Barre was the former home of the

Wilkes-Barre Barons. When the current Triple-A team relocated from Old Orchard Beach, Maine (the Maine Guides), management decided to pay homage to both past ballclubs by utilizing a combined name.

Brian in Boston

Archived